Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155818 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7260 on: August 09, 2016, 05:12:05 PM »
Bought some kind of makeup for my daughter. I have truama issues now.

I remember the time my aunt drove in from Texas in her comfortable house slippers while leaving her other shoes at home.  My father was drafted to go to the Imperial Shoe Store on Canal Street to buy her a pair of shoes since they wore the same size.  Both my aunt and Dad were 6 feet tall.  It's a good thing the Imperial was used to the more colourful males from the French Quarter shopping there. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7261 on: August 09, 2016, 05:34:18 PM »

MY daughter had to have some "equipment" to work for her stage dance outfit.

Trauma is a good description of fathering a daughter, at times.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7262 on: August 09, 2016, 09:56:17 PM »
Not bought yet, but trying to decide weather it would be more economical to purchase larger quantities of potassium iodide and liberate the elemental iodine myself, or buy one of the 250 or 500g lots of I2 from eastern europe, as theres some going quite cheaply at the moment.

I need to replace my I2, because some fucking bucket  of steaming, stinking, feculent dysenteric FECAL SQUIRTINGS stole a significant variety and quantity of reagents from me, plus some glassware as well, the cunting bastard son of a syphilitic slut bitch. Although its at least some consolation that if mishandled could well easily kill him, burn his house down or/and leave him in a hospital critical burns unit, screaming in agony. I truly, truly hope that they did so. I'd have helped him with his chemistry aspirations even, upon request, but no, he had to be a sneaking, gutless thieving fucking abhuman maggot, burrowing in the rotting gangrenous anal passage of the foulest most disgusting sections of sub-humanity.

Lost a LOT of stuff, some of the chemicals very difficult to replace, or to find in the first place, and three maybe four of those requiring the absolute utmost in discretion to even speak of to a chemical supplier. One of them requiring so much by way of discretion that one simply DOES NOT breathe its name save to other clandestine chemists.

But amongst the more workaday type things, nitromethane, nitroethane, iodine, glacial acetic acid, aluminium and iron powder, lithium-aluminium hydride, all my isopropanol, stole my toluene the prick...ether IIRC, can't remember for sure. So a lot of stuff I must replace and at considerable expense.  a Great deal of reagents both mundane, rare and bait-as-all-hell; and a lot of solvents. Shit do I ever wish I could locate the thieving cunt, so I could jam a sack of glass bottles up his ass and take a sledgehammer to his pelvis and G.I tract then leave him to die slowly of infection from his lacerated insides.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:04:12 PM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7263 on: August 10, 2016, 01:36:02 AM »
100ml of high-purity  thionyl chloride (SOCl2)
250g of elemental iodine (I2)
5g of 3-bromo,-4-(1,1-difluoromethoxy)-5-methoxybenzaldehyde.

I also want some (when I can find it, although I think I shall have to wait until my favoured chemical supplier via private lines of communication returns from vacation because I cannot find it where I just have been shopping.

I've seen something quite interesting and unusual also on ebay. A small sample of Hittorf's phosphorus (this is essentially a crystalline allotrope, first discovered in 1865 by a scientist named mr. Hittorf, by means of boiling white phosphorus dissolved in molten lead for almost a day, then dissolving away the lead with somewhat strong HNO3 (nitric  acid), which revealed that a crystalline allotrope of phosphorus, of a violet color had been left behind, the structure of the molecule being formed of pyramidal chains of IIRC 6 atoms, with upraised tall phosphorus cages every other repeat unit.

Although there are several similar violet allotropes, this particular one is interesting because it is metallic, or more probably, a metalloid, otherwise known as a semimetal, like such elements as silicon, germanium, arsenic, selenium and tellurium and some of the allotropes of boron also.

Going to check my bank account now actually so I can see if I have enough for both some red phosphorus, and some violet phosphorus. Although I'm not too sure about the violet P, I'd like it quite a lot actually, but the sample is tiny, a mere 0.1g. And I could do much better than that much cheaper than this, if I wait for my primary chem supplier to return, and purchase some white phosphorus, and some concentrated nitric acid, and do the whole dissolving and thence boiling in lead, followed by dissolving the metal in some of the HNO3.  That way I could have myself a PROPER sample, not merely 100mg, which I think for the price is extortion. That way, once I get a periodic table case that can be mounted upon the wall of my lab as display piece, that is in my opinion one I've put in the effort to make a suitably worthy and beautiful work of art, I can then have enough white, the different red allotrope polymorphs, rhombohedral-metallic [Hittorf's] and monoclinic violet phosphorus, fibrous violet phosphorus, scarlet phosphorus, Schenck's phosphorus and IF I can manage the last, most difficult ones, two metallic, crystalline allotropes of black phosphorus and the easiest one of the P nanostructures to prepare, although difficult still, phosphorene, the ultra-thin, 2-D monomolecular layered phosphorus atom analog of graphene, the carbon equivalent.

The plan is to build the display case myself,  in the shape of the periodic table, inlay labels, or my preference, etch them into the very glass itself covering the sections with name of element, atomic weight, and where relevant, allotropic form. and where possible, with whatever amount of effort, I want to go right back to basics for the samples, that meaning, to, where not occuring as a native element in the free state, to win them out of their ores and minerals myself.
Such as say, I'd not buy sodium metal, but rather, I'd rig up another electrolytic cell and pass a current through electrodes immersed in molten sodium salts to effect separation of sodium in the elemental state, as the metal itself.

Or build an arc-furnace for reducing phosphates to white phosphorus, mixed phosphate/carbon and silica sand at extremely high temperatures IIRC will work. And where some exist, doing further work on my elements to prepare the different known allotropes so as to include samples of each, such as the different arsenic allotropes, metallic and red, amorphous selenium, that sort of thing.

But the important thing is doing the work personally by my own hand, just buying them is kinda cheating, although there are a handful of exceptions. I don't mind buying source compounds, to do the isolations FROM, but even then where possible I'll be going ore-hunting and mineral prospecting myself.

And not just because buying them is cheating, but BORING too. If I have to work my arse off for each and every single item up to uranium then that means I will have a long, long long time worth of project work to enjoy, which means by definition, lots of doing what I love.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7264 on: August 10, 2016, 04:25:23 AM »
Well, I went for the red allotrope, 9g, but not the violet, I couldn't afford both. And I can easily convert some red phosphorus to Hittorff's metallic or metalloid violet phosphorus by means of distillation under inert gas and reduced pressure, collecting the resultant white phosphorus by sublimation; followed by finally, melting down some lead, skimming any oxide slag off the surface and dissolving, again under inert gas, white P in the molten Pb and keeping it molten for about a day.

Will have to order some concentrated nitric acid though, I have none left at the moment.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7265 on: August 10, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »

I love my daughter but she does force me to prove it every now and then. :GA:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7266 on: August 10, 2016, 03:45:58 PM »
Two rolls of duct tape
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7267 on: August 10, 2016, 09:01:25 PM »

I love my daughter but she does force me to prove it every now and then. :GA:

Same. I'll join you.

:GA::GA:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7268 on: August 10, 2016, 10:37:01 PM »
Lots and lots of cat food. Food for us as well.

Kayleigh spotted some black kids' fingerless gloves while grocery shopping. They are mine now and they fit me well. Small hands.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7269 on: August 10, 2016, 11:04:44 PM »
Two rolls of duct tape

Here's what it looks like if you think in pictures:  :zoinks:

:tape: :tape:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7270 on: August 10, 2016, 11:07:03 PM »

Kayleigh spotted some black kids' fingerless gloves while grocery shopping. They are mine now and they fit me well. Small hands.

I have small hands too!  *high fives Renaeden, quietly cos we have small hands*  :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7271 on: August 11, 2016, 02:51:02 AM »

I have small hands too!  *high fives Renaeden, quietly cos we have small hands*  :2thumbsup:
*high fives back*  :green:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7272 on: August 11, 2016, 05:50:34 AM »
Haven't (yet) bought it, but I'm eyeing up some crystals of tellurium on ebay.

What I really want though is not just reagent grade chunks or powder, but naturally sourced, native Te, on one of its ores of good quality crystal, such as sylvanite, twinned with the Te, and of gemstone-like quality. Because whilst one certainly wouldn't want to WEAR it, unless somehow covered with say a layer of waterglass, it can look absolutely stunning.

If you think in more pictures I want one like this:

*stealthily takes a tissue and wipes away a trace of drool* :voodoo: :vortex2:

CBC its not size, its what you DO with them that counts;)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7273 on: August 13, 2016, 06:37:26 PM »

I bought a "fancy" toilet for our master bath.

We have some issues with the old one running over AND softening the floor.

I have a huge project ahead of me, replace about half the floor in our bathroom and basically everything else. just because you do ONE THING then you HAVE to do it all. Right?

I am tossing off between doing the entire floor and a patch, but since the project has gotten SO BIG, I will probably end up doing the whole floor, instead of some kind of patch job.

:GA:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #7274 on: August 13, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
What's a fancy toilet?  :orly:  Is it one of those that squirts water at your bunghole?  :zoinks:
:gopher: