Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157354 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7245 on: August 04, 2016, 09:36:34 AM »
A new phone
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7246 on: August 04, 2016, 12:30:04 PM »
about 7 packets of honey and lemon 'lockets' mentholated throat candies full of gooey honey syrup in the center. Going for 30 pence a tube rather than nearly 70p per packet. They were on display marked right down to next to nothing in a local pharmacy I picked up a prescription at, as they were a few days short dated. Not going to be a thing wrong with them, that kind of thing doesn't GO 'off' and even much much older ones I've eaten before and been totally fine inasmuch as I was doing alright before eating them. Stayed the same, no worse no better, other than the soothing effect on my throat.

Bought pentane, hexanes, heptane, diisopropyl ether, diethyl ether, a mixture of diisopropyl and diethyl ether, naphtha, bought a little xylene, but didn't buy much because someone arranged for a friend of his to give me a gift, by way of a big jar of pure xylene)

Magnesium sulfate, calcium chloride, pseudoephedrine, fuming hydrochloric acid.

Currently req. a quote for the following:

Thionyl chloride
Iodine
phosphorus trichloride
Phosphorus tribromide
Phosphorus (elemental, red allotrope)
thionyl bromide
mercuric chloride
benzaldehyde
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:35:27 PM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7247 on: August 04, 2016, 01:33:26 PM »
about 7 packets of honey and lemon 'lockets' mentholated throat candies full of gooey honey syrup in the center. Going for 30 pence a tube rather than nearly 70p per packet. They were on display marked right down to next to nothing in a local pharmacy I picked up a prescription at, as they were a few days short dated. Not going to be a thing wrong with them, that kind of thing doesn't GO 'off' and even much much older ones I've eaten before and been totally fine inasmuch as I was doing alright before eating them. Stayed the same, no worse no better, other than the soothing effect on my throat.

Bought pentane, hexanes, heptane, diisopropyl ether, diethyl ether, a mixture of diisopropyl and diethyl ether, naphtha, bought a little xylene, but didn't buy much because someone arranged for a friend of his to give me a gift, by way of a big jar of pure xylene)

Magnesium sulfate, calcium chloride, pseudoephedrine, fuming hydrochloric acid.

Currently req. a quote for the following:

Thionyl chloride
Iodine
phosphorus trichloride
Phosphorus tribromide
Phosphorus (elemental, red allotrope)
thionyl bromide
mercuric chloride
benzaldehyde

How easy it getting chemicals there?  Here it can be a real bitch a lot of places will only sell to schools and businesses not individuals,  there also is a lot of regulation due to the governments obsession with people making bombs or drugs 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7248 on: August 04, 2016, 03:32:23 PM »
For me-very easy indeed. I cultivate good relationships with suppliers and remain faithful customers to them. I pick who I buy from with care, and treat them with respect. Plus, I have my sources, I have my ways and my means. I'm very lucky in that I can buy almost anything, as long as I pay for it, I can get it.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7249 on: August 05, 2016, 11:07:57 PM »
The grocery salvage store had a sale this weekend.   I picked up about $150 worth of groceries for $43. 

When you can get MRE-type meals for 32 cents, orange marmalade for 50 cents, cans of fruit for 25 cents, you stock up.

I wish we had one of those around here

Yeah, me too.

We have a huge food distributor local, but all of their injured pallets of dry goods, canned goods etc are donated to the local churches' free food pantries for the poor and needy, just burned out homeless and so forth.

Kind of hard to get in the way of all that.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7250 on: August 06, 2016, 12:04:56 AM »
Diethyl ether, diisopropyl ether, heptane, cellulose thinners, naphtha, big tub of 'andrews salts'-similar to alka seltzer. Codeine and chloroform cough syrup, wine gums, can of coke, two big bottles of coke, two cans of 'KA' black grape soda, macdonalds large choc milkshake, two bacon double cheeseburgers  with extra bacon, two lots of fried mozzarella bites, can of diethylene glycol, 'oragel extra strength' benzocaine gel for my sore feetses. Amber leaf tobacco, liquorice rolling papers and a large tank of compressed anhydrous CO2 gas.

So, what is "teh mad scientist"  up to now.

I notice you bought no "cheese to cut"  so I have to assume you are going "high octane"  with the heptane.

... but you tell us.
 :green:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7251 on: August 06, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »
Well the heptane was kind of a bonus, it was a mixture of diisopropyl ether, diethyl ether and heptane, car cold-start fluid. I'd usually not bother, but I needed the range of solvents quickly and straight away. Its over the counter, and the only other ingredient is traces of very, very high-boiling lubricant oil that stays behind. Like I said, usually wouldn't bother but I'd have had to wait if I ordered the ether and DIPE. All thats needed is fractional distillation, the diethyl ether come off first, then diisopropyl ether, and finally the heptane. The cylinder lubricant probably wouldn't come off without vacuum. So doing the distillation at atmospheric pressure works fine enough with a water or oil bath. Didn't exactly need the heptane, but won't throw it away.

Got some regular diethyl ether on its own also, though.  Will need drying though. Going to use it for an in-situ Birch-Benckeser reduction of PSE. That is to say, immerse the flask in a cryo bath, cool some dried diethyl ether right down to increase solubility, fill flask with appropriate quantity of finely cut up lithium, then gas with dry ammonia, forming Li-bronze in-situ, then introduce PFED in ether solution. Avoids having to condense anhydrous ammonia down to a liquid, and less fumes to deal with. Never done a Birch-B before, but no time like the present. Although still investigating this new bisulfite scheme. Going to try the same with addition of HCl this time also.

What do you mean cheese to cut? mozzarella bites were just...well for macdonalds food they aren't too bad. And I do like the double cheeseburgers, preferably with bacon and extra cheese on them. All that grease and salt and melted cheese and bacon...it just hits a certain spot, no?

Up t

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7252 on: August 06, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »
Bought dinner.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7253 on: August 06, 2016, 06:58:18 PM »
Pouch of amber leaf and a huge bag of fizzy bubblegum chews, along with a pack of hobnob oat cookies. Couldn't eat them right away, as I like to leave them open a while to go nice and soft and chewy.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7254 on: August 07, 2016, 07:33:18 AM »
We were without one for about 6 years.  So, it's a welcome addition.
we had one in florida where i once got a bag of xanthan gum (essential for GF cooking) for 97 cents. retail price $13. one of the things i really miss since we moved here.

up here they throw it away, compost it or give it to food banks.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7255 on: August 08, 2016, 11:48:06 PM »

What do you mean cheese to cut?

Sorry, it was a really bad old joke about cheese causing one to fart, and "cutting the cheese" means to fart, thus producing a small quantity of methane.

I regret making the joke.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7256 on: August 09, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
5g of 3-bromo-4-(-1,1difluoromethoxy-)-5-methoxybenzaldehyde.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7257 on: August 09, 2016, 10:25:28 AM »

What do you mean cheese to cut?

Sorry, it was a really bad old joke about cheese causing one to fart, and "cutting the cheese" means to fart, thus producing a small quantity of methane.

I regret making the joke.

Keep on with the "oldisms."  We have to educate these young whippersnappers.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7258 on: August 09, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
I just didn't get the way it was put in context, I assumed given he was replying to my having bought cheeseburgers, that cheese to cut meant solid blocks of cheese that would require division in order to consume. I am familiar with the expression.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7259 on: August 09, 2016, 01:25:26 PM »
Bought some kind of makeup for my daughter. I have truama issues now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein