Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157927 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7155 on: May 25, 2016, 07:12:13 PM »
:poop: for the garden

I like this because it could be taken figuratively at first ... "I bought some shit for the garden."
   Meaning some stuff.  But then it turns out you bought actual shit for the garden!  :poop:  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7156 on: May 26, 2016, 12:51:17 AM »
Bought a Linksys switch for my new LAN.

Apparently the fibre broadband we were supposed to have by now has been delayed and nobody seems to know why, so I couldn't be arsed to hook up the switch. >:(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7157 on: May 26, 2016, 03:16:30 AM »
Bought a Linksys switch for my new LAN.

Apparently the fibre broadband we were supposed to have by now has been delayed and nobody seems to know why, so I couldn't be arsed to hook up the switch. >:(
In my Wireless class next week I will be setting up a Linksys router and changing its security settings as a test. I have been practicing for it by using Cisco Packet Tracer. It has been interesting.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7158 on: May 26, 2016, 03:56:53 AM »
http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/hack-like-pro-use-netcat-swiss-army-knife-hacking-tools-0148657/

You can download this little tool, netcat, for nothing, its only a few hundred kb in size, but god damn its versatile and adapable.  Whatever your planning, then you want it around. TCP/UDP toolkit, and used in conjunction with a decent quality sniffer on the network you can pull all kinds of interesting, useful and nifty exploits. Such as setting up backdoors via a 'reverse' netcat session using a pair of instances of the software one on the remote (target) host one on the local machine, getting it listening for a connection and then having the remotehost copy of netcat initiate the outgoing connection. Neatly bypassing a firewall  in some cases, if they are programmed only to block an incoming TCP connection to that port. (I've not explored its UDP capabilities as much though)

But its not ONLY useful for black-hatted shits and giggles,  its absolutely indispensable for diagnostics, using an ethernet sniffer on the network to see the packet traffic in realtime, using netcat to design the packets to be sent as probes. Good for remote-fingerprinting an OS as well if you know what your doing with it (need to be aware, or at least find info on how specific OS TCP/IP stacks respond to specific probes, such as both standard, and deliberately malformed packets. Watching for such things as the structure of error messages if any are forthcoming when you send a packet, mallformed in different ways, to open ports, closed ports, the wrong type of port (TCP or IP packet to a UDP port, and the other way round etc, closed and open), the sky is the limit really. If you want something even more capable, get yourself a copy of the nemesis project online. That one is perfect for a comprehensive packet-crafter toolkit, including if your that way inclined, functionality that will suit the sort of stuff thats all very, very black hat. Mind you, that really depends on what your inclined towards getting up to, just think of it as a very sharp knife and a lot bigger than a swiss army knife, and as such a lot better for cutting, chopping slicing and stabbing. The only question is WHAT is to be sliced, diced and chopped and the intent of the user.  (think of it like a stick of dynamite. You can use it when you go out on a walk to do some mineral prospecting, once you find a suitable target needing blasting before you get to take your sacks of rock chunks home with you. But weather you turn those big hunks of thorium ore into a small sample for your element collection of metallic thorium, or you build say, a breeder reactor, or if your some filthy fucking allahsturbating sack of putrescent muhammid-raping, paedophile-worshipping islamonigger

pig jism intent on building a radiological weapon, that depends on who the user is and what they wish to do, not upon the tools, which do the same in a white hand or a paki bastard's trotters.

Those broken, radioisotope-laden thorite/monazite chunks/sand do not possess an opinion one way or the other about what happens to them, and the Th metal refined from it decays at the same rate, releasing the exact same quantity, type and ratio of decay products for any given isotope(s) without respect to the owner, or caring about anything else for that matter. Same goes for tools that are eminently suitable for being kept under hats blacker than a blistering stream of vitriolic curse words in a coal mine. Indeed that sort of netwoork enumeration tool, the sort that are designed with the black-hatted in mind from the start, are usually better than the rest because they are written with advanced users and technically complex uses in mind from day one (or ground zero, for the two may well resemble each other closely in that case :P)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7159 on: May 26, 2016, 04:15:40 AM »
I don't know if you understand what a basic level I am at. Certainly not hacking, heh. I even asked where I should plug the router in. It's wireless. What a dunce I am!
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7160 on: May 26, 2016, 11:20:42 AM »
I don't know if you understand what a basic level I am at. Certainly not hacking, heh. I even asked where I should plug the router in. It's wireless. What a dunce I am!

Not a dunce!

One of my favorite questions to ask a "Just learning" or unsophisticated customer:

"Are you sure you have all the cables needed to hook up your new wireless system?"

:zombiefuck:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7161 on: May 26, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »
Small bins to put tools in for the flea market
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7162 on: May 27, 2016, 12:29:21 AM »

Not a dunce!

One of my favorite questions to ask a "Just learning" or unsophisticated customer:

"Are you sure you have all the cables needed to hook up your new wireless system?"

Interestingly, wireless systems do require *some* cables. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7163 on: May 27, 2016, 02:37:11 AM »

Not a dunce!

Interestingly, wireless systems do require *some* cables. :P
Yup, could not set up mine, because they had sent me a rotten cable. Went to the place where I had gotten the contract and asked them to check the cable where according to troubleshooter the problem was. They checked the cable and said it was fine. So a mechanic had to come to do the hooking up of everything. Turned out the cable was rotten after all.
Mechanic was free of charge, and while he was herehe brought some sockets up to date for free.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7164 on: May 27, 2016, 05:51:09 AM »
Knock on wood my "little" setup has been fairly stable lately. Not the fastest, but stable.

Underground lines are great, but not when they where installed long before dsl and cable. No one even wants to touch this mess.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7165 on: May 27, 2016, 04:51:03 PM »
A bunch of old tools at an estate sale
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7166 on: May 27, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »
Two bottle of Coke Zero at college. I think I am spending too much on drinks but because my mouth is so dry all the time (medication side effect) I need to drink. I don't like water.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7167 on: May 27, 2016, 09:55:25 PM »
Have you tried those water flavoring drops? Personally don't like them, but don't mind water.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7168 on: May 27, 2016, 10:09:17 PM »
Do you mean like Soda Stream? We have those but since Christmas the shops haven't been stocking the diet flavours I like except cola which tastes yuck. Before I was having ginger ale, ginger beer and lemonade.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7169 on: May 27, 2016, 10:22:49 PM »
There's tons of different brands and different flavors of them here. Looked up soda stream, and don't think that's the same thing. It's just tiny bottles of concentrated flavoring to put in water. Just google water flavor drops.