Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157566 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7065 on: April 24, 2016, 02:09:02 AM »
Well I meant that it doesn't mean it has any of the character of a petroleum like compound (alkanes, lightweight to medium sized alkenes, aromatics like benzene, etc.) And that it is not simply present in and isolated via fractional distillation from crude oil. Like naphtha in its varying weights/boiling ranges.

Propylene glycol behaves as an alcohol in its reactions, and while propylene might be used as manufacturing feedstock that doesn't mean its anything actually alike to the end product. Propylene is a fairly reactive gas, and it behhaves nowt like propylene glycol, rather it undergoes the reactions typical of an aliphatic, non-cyclic olefin (olefin=alkene, synonym) such as rxn with elemental bromine to give propyl bromide, the halogen reacting at the position of the double bond, formation of aziridines etc

Propylene glycol is a somewhat viscous, non-toxic and undergoes  the reactions typical of alcohols, a glycol is a synonym for a diol compound (diol-two -OH groups having alcoholic character such as those on an alkane carbon chain background for example) such as formation of esters, dehydration to ethers either with itself or another alcoholic or phenolic character, either using the william synthesis route, or with concentrated sulfuric acid as the dehydrating agent to induce the condensation-dehydration, losing water to form a single bridging oxygen between two alcohols,  ending up with R-OH+R-OH ---(H2SO4 as dehydrating agent) -H2O-->ROR where R is a compound bearing one or more alcoholic moieties.

Just because something COMES from some point of origin, chemically speaking it does not mean that the subsequent product bears any resemblance to the precursor.

The 2C-D I had started life as a pharmacologically inactive,   2,5-dimethoxy-4-methylbenzaldehyde, just a boring looking white powder. Plus some nitromethane, a volatile liquid that smells like marzipan, or bitter almond, quite pleasant, condensed with the benzaldehyde using a corrosive and certainly not something you want to swallow, triethyltetramine, TETA, as the catalyst, isolated and purified from epoxy hardener, not at all appetizing, resulting in the formation of a beta-nitrostyrene. Bright yellow crystalline compound with a most irritant character if it gets on skin, wash with methanol (takes about 10ml of methanol ingested to kill or permanently blind.)

Reduce this either with an amalgam of mercury and aluminium, or for the brave, lithium aluminium hydride, after rigorous drying of ALL glassware to be used with the LAH, likewise thorough degassing and dessication of the solvents in contact with it (THF or ether usually, dried by distillation over sodium metal, or lithium if one can't find it, battery cores with the Li part recycled will do nicely, its in the form of thin tape, so has a large surface area yet isn't going to burst into flame very easily in bits, or one can use sodium-benzophenone ketyl, although I haven't. It even changes color when the THF is dry to let one know its done. ) Glass goes in the oven for a while before use, to make certain its drier than a hasidic jewish nun's  muff crack.

LAH has the advantage of not being inherently noxious, like mercury on a toxicity/environmental waste basis, you just end up with salts of it or LiOH if the excess be decomposed as it must at the end, and water is used, or alcohols like isopropanol are good, it seems to react a bit slower. Inert gas a must.

Result, 2C-D, a white, crystalline (as the salts of it) powder once its been washed with solvent and cleaned. LAH on the other hand if it gets wet or contacts air likes to burst into flame. NOT what one wants to happen with a flask full of ether or THF sitting at ground zero xD.

2C-D is one of the phenethylamine psychedelics. About as different in character from any of the things that went into its making as one could possibly get.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:10:51 AM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7066 on: April 24, 2016, 03:20:15 AM »
A Saab hubcap from the 60s or 70s at a tag sale

Awesome.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7067 on: April 24, 2016, 03:20:42 AM »
I bought whisky.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7068 on: April 24, 2016, 02:04:52 PM »
Well I meant that it doesn't mean it has any of the character of a petroleum like compound (alkanes, lightweight to medium sized alkenes, aromatics like benzene, etc.) And that it is not simply present in and isolated via fractional distillation from crude oil. Like naphtha in its varying weights/boiling ranges.

Propylene glycol behaves as an alcohol in its reactions, and while propylene might be used as manufacturing feedstock that doesn't mean its anything actually alike to the end product. Propylene is a fairly reactive gas, and it behhaves nowt like propylene glycol, rather it undergoes the reactions typical of an aliphatic, non-cyclic olefin (olefin=alkene, synonym) such as rxn with elemental bromine to give propyl bromide, the halogen reacting at the position of the double bond, formation of aziridines etc

Propylene glycol is a somewhat viscous, non-toxic and undergoes  the reactions typical of alcohols, a glycol is a synonym for a diol compound (diol-two -OH groups having alcoholic character such as those on an alkane carbon chain background for example) such as formation of esters, dehydration to ethers either with itself or another alcoholic or phenolic character, either using the william synthesis route, or with concentrated sulfuric acid as the dehydrating agent to induce the condensation-dehydration, losing water to form a single bridging oxygen between two alcohols,  ending up with R-OH+R-OH ---(H2SO4 as dehydrating agent) -H2O-->ROR where R is a compound bearing one or more alcoholic moieties.

Just because something COMES from some point of origin, chemically speaking it does not mean that the subsequent product bears any resemblance to the precursor.

The 2C-D I had started life as a pharmacologically inactive,   2,5-dimethoxy-4-methylbenzaldehyde, just a boring looking white powder. Plus some nitromethane, a volatile liquid that smells like marzipan, or bitter almond, quite pleasant, condensed with the benzaldehyde using a corrosive and certainly not something you want to swallow, triethyltetramine, TETA, as the catalyst, isolated and purified from epoxy hardener, not at all appetizing, resulting in the formation of a beta-nitrostyrene. Bright yellow crystalline compound with a most irritant character if it gets on skin, wash with methanol (takes about 10ml of methanol ingested to kill or permanently blind.)

Reduce this either with an amalgam of mercury and aluminium, or for the brave, lithium aluminium hydride, after rigorous drying of ALL glassware to be used with the LAH, likewise thorough degassing and dessication of the solvents in contact with it (THF or ether usually, dried by distillation over sodium metal, or lithium if one can't find it, battery cores with the Li part recycled will do nicely, its in the form of thin tape, so has a large surface area yet isn't going to burst into flame very easily in bits, or one can use sodium-benzophenone ketyl, although I haven't. It even changes color when the THF is dry to let one know its done. ) Glass goes in the oven for a while before use, to make certain its drier than a hasidic jewish nun's  muff crack.

LAH has the advantage of not being inherently noxious, like mercury on a toxicity/environmental waste basis, you just end up with salts of it or LiOH if the excess be decomposed as it must at the end, and water is used, or alcohols like isopropanol are good, it seems to react a bit slower. Inert gas a must.

Result, 2C-D, a white, crystalline (as the salts of it) powder once its been washed with solvent and cleaned. LAH on the other hand if it gets wet or contacts air likes to burst into flame. NOT what one wants to happen with a flask full of ether or THF sitting at ground zero xD.

2C-D is one of the phenethylamine psychedelics. About as different in character from any of the things that went into its making as one could possibly get.
Thanks, Lestat.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7069 on: April 24, 2016, 06:50:54 PM »
  I bought food for tomorrow's clean-a-thon in the apartment!  :sweep:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7070 on: April 24, 2016, 10:13:47 PM »
I bought cat food. Bought a bag of dry food and got 12 sachets for free!
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7071 on: April 25, 2016, 09:53:33 AM »
I've spent more than I'm comfortable spending, mostly gee-gaws.  Time to tighten the old purse strings next month.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7072 on: April 25, 2016, 11:42:58 AM »
29.5 Gallons of gas
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7073 on: April 25, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »
Cleaning has not turned up my aqua aura so I have been haunting ebay in spite of the danger.
hoping that this arrives looking at least a little like the photo:

:hahaha:

ADHD, i got this one because the palmstone i wanted got bought by someone when i wasn't looking. just looked at my summary.
sigh, the someone was me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:15:50 PM by WolFish »
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7074 on: April 26, 2016, 12:25:22 AM »
Bought lunch.

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7075 on: April 27, 2016, 02:57:36 PM »
maple cotton candy
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7076 on: April 27, 2016, 04:42:01 PM »
New wheel for the wheelbarrow
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7077 on: April 27, 2016, 06:59:56 PM »
A Saab hubcap from the 60s or 70s at a tag sale

Awesome.

Just saw this.
Rounded baby moon style was the early ones, flatter baby moon I remember on our 73 (99L model). Our 1976 & 77 had the full covers with the slots that always picked up stones everywhere you went.

I learned how to drive on the 77, and took it places no other car could go, it was a tank.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7078 on: April 28, 2016, 02:06:43 AM »
I will be buying a haircut. Also wash and blowdry.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7079 on: April 28, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »
Just got home from shopping, on my way back from seeing this social worker chick thats been helping me out with some stuff. Nice girl, easy to get along with, talk to, shes helping me get free travel passes, and looking into housing for me, with a view to my moving out of my current home. I'd like somewhere to myself, wouldn't want to be in a flat, that would effectively be downgrading from my current situation, but she seems to understand that, knows I'm an autie, so is one of her relatives actually, or aspie, she actually knew of the kanner's school I went to before going to my last school, an aspie boarding one. So she understands that I'm not a people person. Not raw, anyway. And that if I do move, I need somewhere to house the skunk-works. So to speak. Doesn't seem to mind that. Lol, although she did ask what the book I'd brought to read while I waited for her was (Vladimir kren, Ladislav cvak, The Genus Claviceps :P )

Got plenty shopping done too.

2  big boxes of rice crispies, an uncounted basket full of 4 or 5 count packs of passion fruits, every last single pack of shiitake mushrooms in the supermarket, must be about 13-14 punnets of the buggers, maybe not hua gu, or even dong gu/donko grade, but still. I like shiitake. I like shiitake a LOT. And they are to go with the steaks I picked up, rump, and sirloin, as well as some cheaper two-piece packs of just generic, decent enough, but generic slabs of deceased bovine. Good enough, especially when they have been marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, daddie's or better yet, devil's hot brown sauce, tabasco, the habanero one not the regular,or the green one, and then given a good slathering of black pepper, before having my own personal recipe for fly agaric, peppery boletus and cubeb with Schinus pink peppercorn, at least those are the main ingredients, theres other things in there too, although some are intermittent, being seasonal fungi, meaning there is of course no
guarantee at all that I'm always able to procure them from the wild, just depends upon my luck. 

LOTs of packs of steak, had to freeze most of them. Uncounted number of packs of 2 steaks each, few different kinds.
A copy of the video game 'kingpin', used to have it when I was in school, but lent it to one of the other lads in the house. Fucking little scrote buggered off with it, and I couldn't go and take it back off him, because he timed it with my leaving the school for good. Git. Went into a charity shop, just to browse really, more than anything. Picked up a few novels for 50p each, the game cost me a pound. And I saw, and bought, a rather nice little leather jacket, short length, down to my waist, very tight fit (which is a good thing, the guy at the till tried telling me it was too small, but I can fit in it, and its comfy enough. Was a special needs kids charity place called 'scope'.

Just got back home, after waiting for ages in the bastarding piss it down rain, absolutely piss wet through and both feeling like, and resembling in some respects, a drowned rodent of the murine variety.
But lol. Damn! what did I find in the pockets? I felt a lump in the side, and felt for the cause. An old hairband, an old copper penny, all corroded, and a wee little nugget of hash :):):)

Also found a shopping bag with no owner, and containing an untouched, unopened tube of 'soothers', candies with a gooey center like lockets, honey and lemon flavour. And three times today found money. First about £2.60-£2.70, the second a good few quid, bit less than a fiver. And last but not least, getting out of the car at home, a  pound lying in the road under the car.

Also bought some valerian extract pills, to use for their dream inducing properties (the correct term is 'oneirogen'), a bottle of lavender oil, two bottles of cough mixture, which I drank while waiting for a lift (pulmo bailly, its called. Codeine as main active, also guiacol in there which stinks something awful and tastes no better, but I figured go for it, may as well, since the only other thing  I was doing, then
was standing in the pissing rain, freezing my nackers off, and feeling sorry for myself :P. So I treated myself a little bit, to the cough mixtures and a chocolate muffin.  I   wanted a rolly but of course with soaking wet hands and fingers, with it howling down, there wasn't a chance of producing owt but a sorry dogend. Bought some nasal decongestant tablets for my stuffy nose, and a milky way chocolate
milk shake. Oh, and four extra cheesy four-cheese pizzas. Which like the steaks, are going to have fried shiitake mushrooms liberally scattered over the pizza once its cooked (cook separate, pizza in
the oven, shiitakes can fry in a pan on top. When done, mushrooms on pizza, pizza in Lestat.

Not  sure whats wrong with my secondary hotplate, but may need a new motor and/or a new dial to adjust the temperature on one or both of its plates (I have two hotplates, one a single plate, with magnetic stirrer, the other no mag, but a double plate, one large one smaller), I think the pot might be shot to shit.

Lol, even though I'm usually going hungry, now is a time of plenty:) So much so I actually entertained, just for a moment, the thought 'why does my old man have to  be doing a chicken tonight??
Because I'm itching to be tucking into steak and pizza and industrial lots of shiitakes on both. Steak for breakfast, steak for elevenses, steak for dinner, steak for tea, maybe pizza for supper. Or pizza for breakfast actually sounds better, because the carbs will cause an initial glucose spike, so I'd sooner that happen when it would be welcome, whilst I'm waking up, and shaking off the grizzledness of the previous nights sleepy ol' me, than right before going to bed, only to be pumped full of energy and alertness.

And lastly, bought a tube of 'anbesol' extra strength. Its a local anaesthetic gel, 2 percent lidocaine and a bit of clove oil are the actives. I have a sore tooth at the moment

Aside from the drowned rattedness, not a bad day's..errr...well...day-ing.

Was very nice to come home and after ditching all that weight, to tuck into a nice big bowl :autism:
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.