Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 158734 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7020 on: April 11, 2016, 10:21:19 AM »
29 gallons of gas

If that isn't already a country song, it should be.  :tumbleweed:

29 gallons of gas in the truck, 29 gallons of gas.  You take a drive and do a job.  28 gallons of gas in the truck.

:roses:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7021 on: April 11, 2016, 10:38:10 AM »
29 gallons of gas

If that isn't already a country song, it should be.  :tumbleweed:

29 gallons of gas in the truck, 29 gallons of gas.  You take a drive and do a job.  28 gallons of gas in the truck.

:roses:
nah, honey I'm good
29 gallons under the hood...
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7022 on: April 12, 2016, 08:20:46 AM »
A 128 GB micro SD card.

Swedish House Mafia should make that into a song.  :moomin:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7023 on: April 12, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »
  Speaking of country songs ... "He was just a hundred yards from Mary Ann."  :'( 

People forget.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7024 on: April 12, 2016, 09:25:43 AM »
A 128 GB micro SD card.

Swedish House Mafia should make that into a song.  :moomin:

I will use the card to store songs in.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7025 on: April 12, 2016, 10:10:50 AM »
A canvas drop cloth and a replacement led bulb for a flashlight
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7026 on: April 12, 2016, 02:31:55 PM »
Whoever has been talking  about kinder chocolate eggs. Lol. Sorry, but no. There is no such thing. Kinder chocolate eggs or chocolate bars do not exist. There are cerainly products sold under the kinder brand in egg shaped, and bar shaped servings.

Chocolate, they are not.  disgusting, sickly garbage. They really are repulsively sickly and cloying. Not to mention that the so called 'chocolate' is so low in cocoa that it really does not deserve  the name of chocolate at all.

Theres even an ad campaign on TV, in which a little kid tells his mother that his teddy-bear is 'really not well, perhaps a kinder chocolate bar will make him better', acting like he was playing 'dr'. And then eats it.

The ad then actually talks of them being so good because they are have so little cocoa, (allegedly so kids will like them).
Bloody stupid IMO, and lol when I had those egg things as a kid (the bars didn't exist then I don't think. at least I never saw any, not that I'd have looked for them, or wanted any if I had found some), I loathed them then too.

Chocolate should be nearly black, its so dark, rich, flavoursome, a little bit brittle, snapping cleanly when broken in the hand, and not leave behind any cloying sensation in the mouth. Dark, and bittersweet, with the emphasis heavily on the 'bitter'. Whilst I could probably accept 70%, if its offered to me by someone else, I wouldn't buy it, 85% at least. The more the better. When it comes to chocolate, its dark chocolate all the way for me. I like the Lindt stuff, they do a good range of cocoa content for different tastes, as well as lovely treats like dark chocolate spiked with lime, or laced with chilli peppers, and go all the way right up to 99% cocoa. THAT is chocolate. The 85%s are alright  and 90 and 95%, those are really very nice. But that 99 percent is absolutely a little chunk sliced off the very pearly gates  of heaven, dosed liberally with sprinkles ground off St.Peter's spare set of keys.

Mmmm..I just got paid, yesterday I think. Whilst I have quite a few supplies for the lab I need, had to give my old man back some money that I owe him from when the DHSS wrongfully
stripped me of my income, and left me with nothing, save for £20 a week, once a month. So he helped out, while I fought for the money back, I got it eventually, with a nice big backpayment that got me my new laptop and quite a lot of nice new things for me to have for  my lab, in the meantime though without the help, just so I could buy food, I would have had nothing at all to eat, for months, longer in fact than I could have gone and avoided at the very best, ending up in hospital through malnutrition, the few pounds a week would be gone in days, considering some would be eaten up in transport to places to purchase the food and drink, the rest just disappeared and got me enough food to have a handful of meals  a week , but thats it, bar anything catchable or pickable from the table spread of mother nature. But My old man did step in and help me out with the basics, so I had enough to keep me going, for quite a while until I managed to get my income back again.

So he gets some when I get paid, what I can afford, until I've payed back the money given.

So far today, for me, I bought :

Several of the big bottles of super-thick milkshakes of the 'frijj' brand, some banana and some fudge brownie flavour ones. Love those, they are really substantial and can serve as almost a meal, not balanced of course, but if one doesn't feel like anything solid and bulky, they are both pourable, tasty, and they are substantial enough to satisfy and fill a hole  when one feels like skipping a main full-sized meal.

A big handful (didn't count, just grabbed as many sachets as would fit in my hands) of packets of 'angel delight' pudding mix, all butterscotch flavor. (REALLY tasty if made up with a thin milkshake from nesquik powder, or commercial bottled milkshakes, to the point of being mixable, then the rest being the thick frijj stuff.) Sets in a minute or so, maybe a minute and a half rather than five minutes if done that way.

A huge load of tubs of nesquik banana milkshake powder mix,  because they were hacked down in price at the local corner shop to nearly nothing, 50p each I think, rather than £2.50 ish), so I bought out their entire stock. Out of date so they reduced it to get it all gone fast. Its just flavouring and sugar really, with a bit of food-safe yellow dye, not the sort of product that can really go off, and even if very old will never be prone to the kinds of spoilage that could do much worse than MAYBE make it taste wrong. Just the sort of thing that keeps for as long a time as its allowed to remain un-consumed.

Must have got myself at least 7-9 of them, enough to make milkshakes in bulk, by using a sheet of paper, or a folded up menu from our local chinese takeout as a powder funnel (I'd no fucking WAY drink or eat anything thats been in mine, because I know what else has been there in the past, at least, what I can remember, and plenty of it was something I wouldn't want in my mouth :P)

Several cans of rice pudding

Two steaks, rump, beef, nice big juicy looking ones. Looking forward to marinating those in a mixture of dark soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, HP brown sauce, tabasco habanero sauce, ground black pepper, lots of chilli peppers, some ground pink peppercorns (actually from, a species of sumac, not a true pepper), a few broken, cracked seeds of Piper cubeba, the cubeb, some sczechuan pepper fruit and seedcases, ground fine (these oddball little oriental spice berries/fruits aren't hot like other peppers, but like the cubeb pepper, they have a slightly astringent, terebinth-like, camphoraceous kind of scent and taste to them, the camphor-like element being much more pronounced in the cubeb than in sczechuan pepper. But unlike the other spices in my special steak seasoning  recipe  the latter of those has a STRANGE effect upon the mouth, causing a tingling, like one feels if, to test a low-powered household use battery, like a PP3 with the two terminals close enough together, placing one's tongue on the electrodes, and the battery is live. And also, the 'pepper' causes a really funky tingling, cooling, numbing effect, almost like a local anaesthetic applied topically to the mouth/tongue in too low a concentration to nullify all sensation.

The other two ingredients I use in my spice mix, I cannot buy. Well I could buy one of the two, but no need. They are peppery boletus, Chalciporus piperatus, and the fly agaric, Amanita muscaria, both mushrooms, that grow in association with the silver birch tree, in fact the bolete is apparently either a parasite of, or engages in a symbiosis with, the fly agaric, I read recently after looking it up, because for years and years, I'd observed that whenever I find some peppery boletes fruiting, there were ALWAYS fly agarics growing within the local space around the birch trees, almost without exception. And now, I bet where there were no fly agaric fruitbodies, there must have been a mycorrhiza in symbiosis with the roots of the silver birches in question at least.

Accurate enough so that one may use the presence of a single C.piperatus fruitbody as an indicator that one should then go and search the locale for fly agarics, and keep visiting the same tree the bolete came from under, because there will be fly agarics to pick soon afterwards.

The Amanita muscaria is a little bit poisonous, containing a poison called ibotenic acid, although this if it does cross the BBB, which is debatable, there are excitatory aminoacid transporters that function as active efflux pumps, pushing it out as fast as it enters. Ibotenic acid is however broken down by heating, its quite unstable, and decarboxylates (a carboxylic acid has the structure RCOOH where the 'R group is hydrogen in the case of formic acid, or carbon in higher carboxylic acids such as acetic, propionic (propanoic), the organic acid that in common with isovaleric (isopentanoic) acid, responsible for the stink of cheesy feet, and butyric acid which is what gives rancid fat its noxious stench (the very name 'butyric' acid, comes from butter, for its the cause of the stink of gone off butter in fact), and in doing so, loses CO2 from that carboxylic moiety, to form muscimol, a GABAa receptor (the same as is bound by cnbenzodiazepines, Z-drugs like zolpidem, zopiclone and the ever so shitty and useless zaleplon, the barbiturates, valerian, quaalude/methaqualone and others, although muscimol is very uncommon in binding the same binding site on the GABAa receptor complex as does GABA itself, producing a sedative/dissociating and trance-inducing hallucinogenic and powerfully adaptogenic and oneirogenic properties. My favourite use, if I'm not using it as an adaptogen, like say, ginseng, as a tonic and resilience booster, is to use it in cooking, in sub-psychoactive amounts, that do not affect the diner mentally, it does impart and help tease out the most wonderful flavor from savouries, meats especially, IMO beef best of all.)

There are also traces of another neurotoxin, muscarine, from the latin 'musca' meaning 'fly', hence the species epithet 'muscaria' in the binomial, for the mushroom used to
be used to poison flies in the days before cans of fly-spray. There isn't much present, mere fractions of a tenth of a tenth of a tenth of one percent at most, if that. Enough to kill blowflies sure, but not humans, in larger, psychotropic doses it can be enough to cause sweating, and tearing of the eyes. But there is never enough muscarine in A.muscaria, despite the name (its the place it was first discovered, however there are much larger amounts in the fungal genus Inocybe, a tribe of smallish to medium, more small than medium, mostly brown to off white, greyish to reddish-rust in color mushrooms.  There is enough in many to cause serious poisoning, and the Inocybe family is LOADED with members full to bursting with muscarine and the odd other neurotoxin here and there in a handful of species (even psilocybin has been discovered in three, although nobody should ever seek these out, due to the danger of severe or even lethal poisoning by the muscarine-producing members of the genus. And one of the psilocybin-producing taxa produces a unique psilocybin derivative, thats a trimethyltryptammonium quaternary salt, if I remember rightly, and it is a frickin' potent agonist at 5HT3 serotonin receptors, so would NOT be pleasant one bit. (the 5HT3 receptor is expressed a lot in the digestive system, and antagonists there are used in medicine as some of the most powerful, fast working and astonishingly effective antinauseant/antiemetic drugs, such as the brilliant ondansetron, usually used for cancer patients chemo-sickness, although I got a shot of it given me in hospital when I ended up having some GI problems, vomiting and retching so hard in the end it was streaked red, and nothing else but bile, acid and foam. Went from foetal position to sat up and reading the warhammer40k novel I had been reading at the time again. This was after NOTHING else had worked. Not buscopan/hyoscine/scopolamine butylbromide, nor scopolamine hydrochloride, not cyclizine, or any of the gaviscon/pepto-bismol type things. Went through everything they HAD, in the way of antisickness treatments bar only the dopamine antagonists like domperidone, trifluroperazine, stelazine etc., because I CANNOT take antidopaminergic agents, they cause me horrible akathisia, its just awful, the sort of internal torture people could cheerfully throw themselves in front of a moving train to avoid.

And that would go manyfold more so the case now, because I now take a med I didn't the last time that got inflicted on me by doctors that didn't know, and were too stupid to either listen or understand, a dopamine receptor agonist called pramipexole (mirapex), for restless legs at night (although I take a couple of the pills a day as well, one when I wake, and another, well whenever I feel like it later, really, timing dictated only by how much a response is required as is induced by said drug.

RLS is just..ugh. Nasty. Most unpleasant, and the pisstake is, it typically manifests when one needs to rest most of all, preventing all hope of sleep or comfort, unless something like an adrenergic catecholamine release blocker such as clonidine, tizanidine, xylazine etc (although the latter is more usually used to immobilize large animals, in low doses its lovely stuff, although not whats considered recreational as such, although I hear it is in, I think, possibly brazil, some latino country anyhow. But I love those sorts of agents, hated beta-blockers with a passion, but agonists of the adrenergic autoreceptor (an autoreceptor is a postsynaptic receptor that detects high levels of a given neurotransmitter, once activated, telling the presynaptic neurone to chill its beans and not pump out so much, in essence, a negative feedback mechanism serving to avoid a continual massive outpouring of neurotransmitter, and to avoid the balance between functional neurotransmitter system and the whole shebang becoming uncontrollable.

The mirapex does do well though, I quite like it, took a bit of wheedling and pleading to get it, but I wasn't about to back down, because whilst I DO have quite a few things here that will quite effectively terminate a bout of RLS, most of them come at a price. Namely the use of much more limited supplies of a resource far more precious than is pramipexole, those being my oxy IRs, and the two types of morphine dose that I get, if I'm going to have a wee poke anyhow then they get used, as they do when the RLS refuses to respond to a second mirapex tablet within a reasonable time, although with RLS, its not something that makes it tempting to wait very long. Or sometimes if I do go for the opioid way of fixing it, then I find a  couple of 10mg or 1x30mg to prep one right before/on climbing into bed, which tends to be enough, tolerance or not, as its not taken either for pain relief or to get off then, doesn't seem to take much to quiet the howling and skriking  nerves in my legs and arms enough that they keep it zipped and stop shouting and screaming until I get to sleep. Sometimes needs another 10 or so, maybe 20, if its morph I'm using, but I prefer for a redose at night if needed to use one of my oxys, as those are instant release, and don't need preparing and filtering, bioavailability by mouth is good enough in fact that I don't need to bang those. Up the nose is fine although I don't really like insufflating things much, just because of the way it feels, and the oxys have an insoluble binder of some sort as an excipient, so it sticks up there until some water is dripped into the nostril and snorted up, then blown out.

My other main options are gabapentin, that I take for pain in my leg due to nerve damage, which doesn't respond to opioids much, a little, but not much, and only at doses enough to knock me out completely, my guess is it only stops the neuropathic pain because the rest of me isn't around to notice, because I'll be sprawled out on the sofa in my comfy, warm bathrobe with a book probably open over my face keeping the light out:P or chlormethiazole, my antiseizure med, also a sedative/hypnotic. Thats not so precious, so to speak, as is my morph or oxy, I only get so much from my doc, but its  not really much more difficult to prepare more, or derivatives of it, than it is to unzip my fly, pull up a bog seat, and take a piss, in terms of complexity at least. It takes longer, and urinating doesn't (thankfully haha!) cause the release of clouds of SO2 and hydrogen chloride (or of course, if its the other suitable halogen chosen, then hydrogen bromide rather than HCl. I've never tried making the iodo derivative,nor the fluoride, but this is by choice, and decision not to taste either of them, although I could if I chose, make them without difficulty, I just wouldn't wish to take either one if I DID make any, for two different reasons. The fluorinated derivative, just..NO!, because of the potential, even )theoretical, that it may metabolize to fluoroacetate in the body, as fluoroacetate is a VICIOUS poison, and almost impossible to treat, works by being metabolized to fluorocitrate, which then enters the citrate cycle (Kreb's cycle), and due to the strength of the fluorine-carbon bond, when citrate (fluorocitrate that is, rather) would be metabolized by aconitase, an enzyme, fluorocitrate can bind to the enzyme's active site, but cannot progress down the kreb's cycle, thus poisoning the enzyme irreversibly, just like sticking superglue in a lock and putting in a key that will enter the keyhole, but not turn and open the door. Result? its stuck there, buggering things up completely, for good. And since the citrate cycle is a vital fundamental process, blocking it, which in the case of the kreb's cycle, means that mitochondria end up starved of ATP, killing the cells thus exposed.

So fluoroethyl ANYthing, instantly rules out my using that substitution pattern in any of my pharmaceutical chem projects, gets the proposed molecule ruled out instantly, absolutely, and without hope of parole or rehabilitation. Particularly horrible stuff, fluoroacetate, as aside from its sheer noxiousnes and the near impossibility of doing a fucking thing for those poisoned, save only for supportive measures, in addition, due to its targeting energy production and use at the cellular level, it means that fluoroacetate goes most for those tissue types that have
the highest energy requirements, such as the brain, the heart, the lungs, and the reproductive organs the most of all, although it doesn't refrain from slaughtering everything else it encounters too.

Replacing the usual chlorine of chlormethiazole with iodine is more of a theoretical and nonacute type hazard, because the iodine atom is a much better leaving group than chlorine, bromine is in the middle between the two, so I judged it alright to make and test, to explore its activity, when I'm done doing so to the point of satisfaction in my research upon bromoethiazole/bromethiazole, as I've christened it, then it'll be left to my archives, my interest sated, to be brought out once in a while if there is no sedative/hypnotic or anticonvulsant  agent available and one is needed, then the reaction leftovers from my studies will be around, or some can be prepared afresh.

Iodine is just that bit TOO good a leaving group, at least in the form of an aliphatic iodoalkane, and the better the ability of a functional group to undergo nucleophilic displacement the more so the leaving group, the easier it can be removed, if its something that can do so at all, the easier it can then go on to alkylate DNA, which isn't good unless you have cancer, and are
being treated with mustard gas for it (yes, mustard gas, some of the nitrogen mustards developed first for warfare as chemical weaponry got noticed for the fact that poisoned/wounded soldiers with mustard gas burns experienced a huge drop in white blood cell levels, so some of the mustards of the nitrogen type were  further developed for a more worthy use than war, this time, rehabilitated, to cure instead of kill and maim, being  used to treat cancers of the bone marrow and blood (leukaemias).

So theres every chance it could at as an alkylating agent, tagging DNA with a big useless function-destroying substituted hydroxyethylthiazole-shaped DNA-zit. So unless I were to find a good reason why this wouldn't happen in the particular case of any hypothetical synthesis and in-vivo use of  the iodo analog of chlormethiazole, its simply not even going to be made, for if it wouldn't be tested for activity (although I guess maybe, I could test it some day in a cultured cell line via radioligand binding/displacement  of a suitable ligand, tritiated phenobarbital, o srimilarly radiolabelled picrotoxin, or amongst others perhaps bicuculline..at least I THINK bicucculine, an alkaloid acting as a GABAa antagonist/inverse agonist convulsant derived from herbs in the genus Corydalis (not 100% but I'm fairly sure chlormethiazole at least, binds to the barbiturate recognition site on the GABAa receptor complex, its definitely not the benzodiazepine site, and isn't the valerian/loreclezole site, or the orthosteric site that recognizes GABA itself. Neurosteroid binding site could be plausible solely based upon the pharmacological effect, although I've never gotten to try a GABAergic neurosteroid, although I'd like to see what they are like, in comparison with other GABAa agonists.

Generally though, there is such scant, if any real justification for my believing that sticking an iodine there in place of a chlorine or bromine atom, that there would be a damn scrap of difference, with a psychedelic, my usual field of expertise really in terms of their qSAR, with a compound with such diverse cognitive effects as the psychedelics, there is a vast amount of room for subtlety and for as many permutations and quirks of experience as exist thought patterns within a single mind, upon a single day, on a single experience, locked up within just a single psychedelic compound. But in and of themselves, they are but tools, catalysts in a manner of speaking, the value of which lies not within the compound itself, but in what it can help to make manifest, the real magic, remains within the brain of the receiver, opened and made accessible by the psychedelics, certainly, but originating and existing within the person.

But with something of the nature of a sedative-hypnotic, they aren't what one could call dainty, subtle or particularly detailed, although theres difference enough to make them fun enough to work on to be worth doing so, at least, personally, they can still be worth it enough to make a decent few days in the lab, etc.

Br to I though on the same skeleton, I just can't see it changing the character enough to bother assaying it in-silico or in a living cell line even so much as to justify the cost of the iodine itself (I need to buy more actually, I'm out of I2 after someone stole mine a while ago, and its actually not all that cheap, and its great weight makes what sounds like a fair quantity actually not look like anything close to as much as one might think, for a given weight. Last I bought any, it was supplied in a small screw-capped pot, no taller than the length of my clenched fist, and not all that wide, but it contained  a quarter of a kilo of the stuff, to the eye though I'd have guessed at 50g or so, just from how it looked, had I not known quite how dense the stuff is in the elemental state)

What else have I bought today?

2 packets of liquorice rolling papers and a pouch of amber leaf tobacco. I usually use my e-cig now, but for the occasional tobacco cigarette, maybe 2-3 a day at most now. And not all the time. Just like one when I wake up and another later before I go to bed last thing at night. But I treated myself to some proper rolling burn today, just a small 12.5g pack, because I've not had any for a long time, can hardly remember the last time I spent money on tobacco, which of course is no bad thing. But once in a while I do fancy a rolly. I usually don't, and just
beg a smoke off my folks, since I smoke so little now. But my moms are the pre-made filter type smokes, and taste like pickled anus on a popsicle stick compared to a proper roll up.

Main reason now I smoke actually, is I really do enjoy one as the accompaniment to a nice big slug of lady M. Not sure what it is about it, but something makes a smoke  a little carcinogenic stick of burning heaven when on a painkiller of some kind. And in a way that cannot be equaled by an E-cig (THAT bit I do know, but generally why smoking itself is so much more enjoyable then, I'm not entirely certain. Certainly does though.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7027 on: April 12, 2016, 03:19:00 PM »
  ^ Holy hypergraphia, Batman!  :P

I have recently discovered Haagen-Dazs'  "destination flavor,"  Mayan Chocolate, which is
  laced with cinnamon.  I wouldn't have expected that combination to work, but it's delicious.  :2thumbsup:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7028 on: April 12, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »
Que?

Those haagen-dazs ice creams are alright. Too expensive though.

And I like sorbet a lot more than I do ice cream. I can quite happily eat both. Choosing for myself though, I'll buy sorbet every time, but the folks prefer ice creams, so if my old man goes shopping and brings a tub back for me as well as one for them, it'll be ice cream every time. Not cinnamon though. yuck. I hate cinnamon. As far as I go, the only good use for cinnamon, is as a source of cinnamaldehyde (haven't as yet managed to get round to running a synth to test for myself) but I have read quite a lot of references to the to a cinnamoyl substitution being used on certain of the phenanthrene morphinan type opiates, in particular, a cinnamoylnoroxycodone derivative that was quoted as being some 80x the potency, by weight, of morphine. Which sounds rather a tempting undertaking for me one day, considering I wouldn't have to make the oxy itself.  I'd have to go without, or slash my dose of oxycodone for a while and stick to morphine, over the counter codeine, dihydrocodeine and opium tincture, as well as (NOT over the counter, sadly) solid raw opium as it comes from collected poppy pod latex, boiled and the plant matter rising to the top of the pot as scum skimmed off and discarded (well, saved, actually, until there be a larger quantity of dross collected, for some alkaloids will always be left behind from the initial extraction/cleaning up, to be saved up and re-extracted later to yield a little extra second helping of morphia, codeine, and the lesser alkaloidal fractions present in Papaver somniferum.

And of course, there would have to be testing of the 3,6-dicinnamoyl ester of morphine itself, ala the esterification using the more usual acetic anhydride/acetyl chloride (or, my own personal preference, the dipropionyl ester, which is simply lovely, compared to H, as pronounced as the difference between gold bars and dog muck), it using cinnamic anhydride, or alternatively a cinnamoyl halide and a bit of the tertiary amine base of choice to mop up the released hydrogen halide gas, TETA (triethylenetetramine) from twopart epoxy kits works nicely and is cheap as chips. No need to bother with buying  triethylamine, or fucking around to synth Hunig's base.  If buying, then pyridine, or better yet, 4-dimethylaminopyridine make for kickarse acylation catalysts/Hydrogen halide scavengers (you'll get better yields with para-DMAP than with bog standard pyridine though)

Wouldn't surprise me either if piperazine would serve alright, but not so good as DMAP (and I daresay, I am a bit of a TETA fan, since it has served me so well for so many other things,
 (it totally OWNS, when chosen as the base for knoevanagel condensations/Henry reactions when a beta-nitrostyrene is the target, never tried it on a nitropropene, nitrobutene or nitropentene/nitroisovalerene though, have been meaning to get round to at least some beta-nitropropenes and beta-nitroisovalerylenes., but thats just one of those personal preferences and quirky likings that chemists sometimes get set in the ways of :P ) still, it works.

Ice cream wise, tesco own brand ones are good, or some are. I like the mississippi mud pie one. Chocolate enough to bury a mayan empire all in a liter or two tub, thats perfect snack size :D

What I like most though are something I discovered recently. Kopparberg frozen fruit cider sorbet. Comes in serving-size foil pouches, just slice the top off, and squeeze out into one's bowl. I would never have cottoned on to those, but for chance. Bought some when I was out food shopping and looking for something to slake my thirst, thought they were some sort of fruit squash, like those 'capri sun' type thingies, fruit juice in a foil bag type things. I didn't know it was cider. If I had, I'd never have touched them.
For I HATE cider generally speaking. But these don't taste like vinegar and rotten apples, or like cider at all. Got a load of these delightful elderflower and lime ready-to-freeze cider sorbet pouches, and was an instant convert, so to speak. Got a few of a different one too, smirnoff vodka raspberry sorbet. Worked really nicely both together. The cider ones were the nicest though, really light, delicate elderflower scent and flavour, and they just melt in the mouth really fast, so it almost half-inhales, half swallows. I think it might be something like the alcohol
content (not huge, about 5%) being just enough to depress the melting point a bit, just enough so that its altered in consistency enough to melt the moment it hits the heat of one's mouth.

They do lots of other flavours too, although I've only so far sampled the elderflower&lime one.

I've never been a huge drinker of alcohol (or eater, in this case, rather), at least, not since I actually became old enough to drink. Fun enough as a kid/young-mid teen knocking around with a few mates getting pissed and whiling away the time. Never really been a massive drinker even then, only on occasion, bar a few thundering, brutal, vicious bastardlyshite hangovers. Although to this very day I cannot drink or stand the smell of cointreau, after, when I was about 12-13 or so, drinking an entire bottle of the stuff. Haven't touched it once since in all the years after! gah my insides twitch just THINKING about that! good fucking christ jesus mcgod the day after in my old lfa school, shit ME. My head. Somehow I have the distinct feeling, that I probably made my teacher's life a living, breathing hell-made-flesh in response to every turned on light switch, every noisy pencil scratch and page turned. Thats alright with me, she was a total utter cow, caught her forcing some MR kids to use tomato juice once in a home ec lesson she had just scraped a thick cover of mould off, once. Told someone else they were
basically trash, who would forever 'poison everything they touched'. And more in that vein.

Did at least strike back on behalf of the kids that could not, and who being NV, had no voice to speak of it in their own defense. Went out of the school building and promptly spent a while ramming the blade of my knife repeatedly into the tyres of her car, right the way up to the hilt of the blade, and giving it a good hard rip and twist now and then for good measure. Carved them to tattered shreds. I'd not have been in a great mood that day to begin with, but bullying like that, and treating the most vulnerable, people who cannot speak out if tormented, thats the lowest of the fucking low, and I DESPISE those who do it. I hated HER to begin with, but she had it coming after that home ec lesson, and I wasn't in the least disposed towards forgiveness. It'd be a cryogenic day in Satan's own personal BBQ pit before she gets forgiveness from me for that act. To this day, she hasn't. And won't.

Found time to gob on her even, the day I returned to my LFA school years after leaving, to see a few people I missed, and pay a call on a certain young kanner's lass by the name of laura, that I have always been absolutely crazy about. From when she was about 11 years old to the present day (shes about 30something now, and astonishingly, she actually has not aged a day, to look at. ) Still find her attractive, not that that is my type, young, I mean. But IMO its fair enough if I liked her just the same when we were both that age, and simply never NOT liked her. Seen her since, as one of my other friends by sheer chance went to another spesh school with her, been giving lots of thought to getting my friend to help find laura's place again to go visit, see if she fancies coming out to dinner or something, maybe hooking up. If not, just getting back in contact, to catch up etc.)

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7029 on: April 12, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »
  ^ Holy hypergraphia, Batman!  :P

I have recently discovered Haagen-Dazs'  "destination flavor,"  Mayan Chocolate, which is
  laced with cinnamon.  I wouldn't have expected that combination to work, but it's delicious.  :2thumbsup:

You can have ALL of mine.  Enjoy
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7030 on: April 13, 2016, 01:31:47 AM »
A chocolate almond torte
three lamps
dill dressing
elderflower concentrate
loganberry concentrate
dish brushes

a bit of annoyance because in the self serve checkout i put the catalog into my bag without scanning it.
the monitor gods of ikea dealt with this transgression by sending a clerk who counted the items in my bag and concluded that i was one short. sigh.
the same one saw me try to use my discover card and have it denied. when she saw me take out my debit card she asked if she could take it from me. She used those words. I said of course not.
i know that they are trained to profile people like me (though these days i am taken for syrian and not african), and i know she was trying to be helpful, but the whole reason i was in the self serve was to avoid people like her.

ah well.
the torte - gluten free - was delicious.
the elderflower was interesting but i am not using for taste anyway.
the lamps are for my office, to reduce the lighting footprint.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #7031 on: April 13, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »
Three bottles of Heisenberg Vampire Vape, blueberry menthol flavour, 80 VG, 6mg nicotine.
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7032 on: April 13, 2016, 03:03:39 PM »
A sheet of OSB and some wood strapping
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7033 on: April 14, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »
Chocolate.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7034 on: April 14, 2016, 12:08:37 PM »
The 128GB card I ordered the other day arrived. I'm now busy filling it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein