Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155802 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #6990 on: March 30, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
Spray paint, air filter and two sheets of plywood underlayment that will be made into a photo prop for prom at my wife's school
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #6991 on: March 30, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »
Boxes and box tape for moving!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #6992 on: March 30, 2016, 08:59:55 PM »
Tesco Finest green tea.
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6993 on: April 04, 2016, 12:59:42 PM »
A pizza.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #6994 on: April 05, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
Chocolate weetos cereal, rice crispies, 6-7 tubs of nesquik banana milkshake mix powder, because they were going on offer for 28p a tub, rather than >£1.50, bought every last tub the store had.

4 big thick chewy, chocolate chip triple-chocolate choc fudge brownies. Several jelly snakes.

Chloroform.

Rice pudding
Ambrosia tinned custard, delish eaten straight out of the can.
2 big jugs of naptha (mid-high boiling mixed aromatic/aliphatics)

Some gallium metal
7.5g bag of 'kronic' a synthetic weed substitute 'spice' type product, based on N-cumyl-1-(5-fluoropentyl)indazole-3-carboxamide
A few smaller bags (3.5g/each) of another mixture of a similar nature and usage based this time on AKB-48 (synon. w  the name 'APINACA') and its 1-(5-fluoropentyl) homolog.

TETA (triethylenetetramine)
NH42SO4, a big tub of it, for use as a conveniently storable source of ammonia gas whenever the latter is needed, but with the advantage of not having to deal with storage of big tanks, excessively onerous cryo requirements. Simply add as supersaturated a solution of strong base such as caustic soda or KOH, and the stronger base displaces the weaker in a metathesis reaction producing ammonia and the metal sulfate, lead through appropriate drying agent/s to the level of dryness required, then condense the ammonia into liquid anhydous NH3 using a dry ice/acetone bath etc., or leading it into solvents for use as solutions,  into acid solutions for other salt formation, and as an ammonia/nitrogen source for feeding biological cultures/fermentations .

A pre-packed pill/cap of methoxphenidine, aka 'MXP'

Liquorice rock sticks.
Hot chocolate mixture.

A kilogram of triphenylphosphine.

Some heptane.

A few liters of diethyl ether, and a little diisopropyl ether.

A packet of original 'fisherman's friends' lozenges, and a packet of aniseed ones.

Pot noodles (chicken and mushroom), tins of grapefruit segments in grapefruit juice (more of them, got some just recently but ate them all)

Ammonium nitrate

Various other minor bits and pieces, drinks, snacks, chemicals of various kinds.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #6995 on: April 05, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »
Gas for the car.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6996 on: April 05, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »
Anti seize compound
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6997 on: April 06, 2016, 02:54:20 AM »
A bottle of port and some black paint.

Port is a little too sweet for me!   Maybe I need to try another brand!    :apondering:

It is all pretty sweet...part in fact I believe because of the brandy they usually add to fortify it.  The tawny is a little less sweet than the ruby red that I love.

I was gifted with a huge gallon of it one year (Taylor's)...didn't really care for it at first taste...couldn't cook with it...and of course, I couldn't let it go to waste...(just think of all those poor wine deprived men and women in foreign countries). 

It got a little better tasting every night...and by the end of it (a month or so later)...I was licking it off the side of the glass if I spilled it while pouring.

Yep, when you catch yourself licking the side of the glass...that's when you know you have officially passed the point of no return. :laugh:

Heck, I lick the side of the bottle AND the glass, so as not to waste a drop!   :laugh:  Every time I see Port, I think of the old PBS series "Rumpole of the Bailey" and his having a glass of Port after work.   :laugh:
Didn't think of licking the bottle...when I lived in MA I collected dessert wines which if my mother hasn't stolen them should still be in the basement of my mother's summer house. Not getting my hopes up - she tends to give my things away (inadvertently or on purpose) to people who work on the summer house. I have a collection here of Warre's dating from the 1990s - every few years I buy a new bottle and open one old.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6998 on: April 06, 2016, 03:06:57 AM »
Just bought a load of kinder surprise eggs. Also a rotisserie chicken and a gluten free apple pie with the most incredible flaky crust. Most people wouldn't know the difference. The crust is a little lighter than a wheat crust.

Hard to believe that something less expensive than cracker jacks has so much better prizes. The chocolate is vile but so are cracker jacks these days. I bought one bag to compare - the corn was almost black (likely too much molasses), many were stuck together and there might have been 20 peanuts in a big bag. The "prize" was s sticker of Sailor Jack and Bingo the dog, both of whom have real life equivalents: Robert Ekstein and Russell the dog. The only thing I know about kinder surprise is that they are banned in the US due to their being a choking hazard. I rather suspect that in reality they are a competition hazard.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6999 on: April 06, 2016, 06:29:52 AM »
  Paper supplies  :tp:  and a lot of fatty food I don't need.  :sumo:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7000 on: April 06, 2016, 04:40:05 PM »
Just bought a load of kinder surprise eggs. Also a rotisserie chicken and a gluten free apple pie with the most incredible flaky crust. Most people wouldn't know the difference. The crust is a little lighter than a wheat crust.

Hard to believe that something less expensive than cracker jacks has so much better prizes. The chocolate is vile but so are cracker jacks these days. I bought one bag to compare - the corn was almost black (likely too much molasses), many were stuck together and there might have been 20 peanuts in a big bag. The "prize" was s sticker of Sailor Jack and Bingo the dog, both of whom have real life equivalents: Robert Ekstein and Russell the dog. The only thing I know about kinder surprise is that they are banned in the US due to their being a choking hazard. I rather suspect that in reality they are a competition hazard.
Choking hazards can be often be covered by warnings and age limit notices on the packaging. The US has regulations against inedible objects inside edible objects.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7001 on: April 07, 2016, 09:50:48 AM »

Choking hazards can be often be covered by warnings and age limit notices on the packaging. The US has regulations against inedible objects inside edible objects.
only manufactured, i am sure - otherwise fruit would be banned. though i suppose that since it's all natural, a peach pit could be considered edible.
i have seen chocolate easter eggs in the states with prizes and toys inside, but those are huge by comparison. maybe it's the size that matters.
and i would imagine that because part of the inedible part is outside, that things like those plastic rings with candy on them are ok.
source for the choking hazard admittedly 3rd or 4th party, but i maintain its a competition thing. if you tasted that chocolate you'd know that kinder surprise is an inedible object inside an inedible object.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7002 on: April 07, 2016, 10:05:03 AM »
if you tasted that chocolate you'd know that kinder surprise is an inedible object inside an inedible object.

True.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7003 on: April 07, 2016, 02:28:13 PM »
After about 10 years, we now have a salvage store near us again.  I went Saturday (opening) and today.  Scored some nice reductions.  It will definitely be on my shopping rounds.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7004 on: April 07, 2016, 04:15:01 PM »
but i maintain its a competition thing.
Have to disagree; the US thrives on capitalism and if they were legal, there would already be some mega US chocolate label making/selling a similar product, if they're really so popular. Ferro owns the Kinder label name, but they have other chocolate products and other popular brand names in the US. Ferro not only has Ferro chocolates in the US, but also owns Nutella and Tic Tac.