Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 156734 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #6405 on: June 08, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »
Used a $25 gift certificate to a Mexican grocery store.  Picked up apricot jam, honey, tomato sauce, plums, bread, Grey Poupon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soft drinks, Jamaican ginger beer, garlic powder and pure vanilla extract.  Because I can't keep a running total in my head, I paid an additional $18.  Their mean counter is to die for, but I'm a little leary of buying meat there.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #6406 on: June 08, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
Chinese food for Amber and myself! 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Online Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #6407 on: June 08, 2015, 08:40:58 PM »
Chinese food for Amber and myself!

Do you eat oriental food with chopsticks?  :orly: I think oriental food taste better with chopsticks and I get upset if I don't get to have chopsticks. It's really weird because wooden spoons totally gross me out and make my teeth cringe.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #6408 on: June 08, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »
Why is oriental considered a racial slur now?

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6409 on: June 08, 2015, 09:48:03 PM »
Is it really? Had no clue. Have actually been personally trying to stop saying Asian and saying oriental instead, because not all Asians are oriental. Assume it's an American thing to use the word Asian because Americans are quick to say either Chinese or Japanese and that's potentially offensive if one doesn't know it as correct, so Americans just say Asian. There was a discussion at work some months back about the Chinese zodiac and someone said something erroneous about elephants, only to be corrected by being told not all Asians are Chinese. Was going to ask her if that's offensive, referring to oriental people as Asians, but the conversation was interrupted and she's since left the company so can't ask her. What the crap am I supposed to say?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:56:48 PM by Jack »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6410 on: June 08, 2015, 10:32:23 PM »
Got me reading about this now. Seems it all depends on where one lives and who one is speaking to. In the US it's considered politically incorrect usage; rugs are oriental not people, and Americans use the term Asian to mean Orientals, while many European countries use the word Asian to mean what we call Middle-Easterners and they call Orientals oriental. Also read that in the US, older Orientals prefer the term oriental, while younger ones prefer Asian. Youth will win in the long term, so will go back to using the term Asian.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:34:05 PM by Jack »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6411 on: June 09, 2015, 12:17:13 AM »
Bought flight tickets.

And you just got home.  :zombiefuck:

Well, yeah. Life's like that now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6412 on: June 09, 2015, 12:18:06 AM »
Bought flight tickets.

I read that as fight tickets, but that's probably because I was just looking a fight tickets.  :lol1:

:lol1:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6413 on: June 09, 2015, 01:28:30 AM »

Can't keep up with that nowadays. Kid read to me from the newspaper that a word had become non-grata, because, while it was used without negative connotations in Dutch, it had wrong connotations in South Afrika, and therefore could not be used in the Netherlands any more either.

:scratchhead:

Forbidding words will not decrease the use of slurs. Any word can be used in the wrong way.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6414 on: June 09, 2015, 02:23:05 AM »
"Two Ethnic s walk into a bar ......."
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6415 on: June 09, 2015, 01:35:10 PM »

Can't keep up with that nowadays. Kid read to me from the newspaper that a word had become non-grata, because, while it was used without negative connotations in Dutch, it had wrong connotations in South Afrika, and therefore could not be used in the Netherlands any more either.

:scratchhead:

Forbidding words will not decrease the use of slurs. Any word can be used in the wrong way.

You're right.
I imagine that's one of the reasons I am not teaching cultural diversity anymore. In the U.S. everyone tries to get a politically correct card to use, which leaves those of us with legitimate issues looking like them if we protest something that's genuinely prejudiced.  I told my classes that it was far better to be open minded than to memorize all the labels.

My dissertation research was compromised by my putting "African American" on my forms. I found out from my assistants that people were refusing to do the study because they objected to the term. Turns out a famous comedienne had made a routine about how she wasn't African American, she was black. For the next few years people were refusing to be called African American because it wasn't their label.

In fact, the term was introduced by Jesse Jackson, a black activist, not so long ago - 1988. Before that the term black was chosen to distinguish the race from the slaver use of "negro" (which means black) and "nigger."

Asians have such advocates in the ivory tower, but I'm not sure about elsewhere. Those folks preferred Asian unless the country of origin was known.
IMHO in general people in the U.S. are woefully negligent in world knowledge. So I've been places where Asians are Orientals and anyone from the Middle East (or looked like they were from the ME, including Indians, etc) were Arabs.

Are preferences different in different countries?
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6416 on: June 09, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »
Completely understood blacks rejecting the African American label. American citizens are americans and it makes sense blacks wouldn't identify with a title that sounds like some sort immigrant nationality status.

Online Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #6417 on: June 09, 2015, 05:38:05 PM »
 :headbang2:

Online Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #6418 on: June 09, 2015, 05:54:10 PM »
rugs are oriental

And food.  :2thumbsup:

Bought flight tickets.

I read that as fight tickets, but that's probably because I was just looking a fight tickets.  :lol1:

:lol1:

Jack wont let me blow any money right now, but next month I'm totally watching some caged men beat each other bloody.  :thumbup:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6419 on: June 10, 2015, 12:36:02 AM »

It is? :-\

- Albert Einstein