Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 159094 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #5595 on: January 09, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
Some Christmas decorations (mini bitch - It's 2 weeks past Christmas, they should be 90% off, not 75%), groceries, a small notebook, batteries.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5596 on: January 09, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »
Some Christmas decorations (mini bitch - It's 2 weeks past Christmas, they should be 90% off, not 75%), groceries, a small notebook, batteries.

Really, my supermarket offers 25% off.  :voodoo:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #5597 on: January 09, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »
An assortment of bottled beer, as the big single bottles holding a half liter to a liter.

Never had one of them before, Peroni. Ended up deciding last night that I liked it so much I'd take some of the other bottles back undrunk to the shop, and ask them if I can swap the other brands for bottles of peroni instead. Which was fine, came back with a nice big pile of cold bottled beer.

Always better than canned, when its in glass, don't you think?

Other than that:

2g of ching, two 3.5g bags of a headshop smoking mix, based on APINACA and 5-fluoropentyl-APINACA (other name 'AKB-48 and 5-F-AKB-48). Name of the product is 'herb', and it bloody well does a hell of a job imitating the real thing. Not sure how they get away with it, as the inert plant material in this case..I am not entirely sure it IS inert. They use the flowering tops of indian hemp, aka weed, herb, ganja etc. It smells like weed, it looks like weed, and although shorter acting, the stuff packs one hell of a punch. The rest of it, is a mixture of Mullein (Verbascum thapsus, is the commonest kind of this plant) and hops. Interesting choice, the latter, as the hop plant is the only other member of the Cannabinacea, aside from the obvious genus Cannabis.

I don't know how the people making and distributing this 'herb' product are getting away with it; seeing a how it actually contains C.sativa and/pr C.indica. I can only imagine it might be a hemp fiber rather than high THC strain. But soon as I can afford some more plates, I'm going to try doing a bit of chromatography, and analyse a sample of the product for THC, THC-carboxylic acid, CBD and CBN, run it up with a few spots on some TLC plates, extract some with solvents and compare with a reference standard of known, actual honest to god hash/skunk.

This stuff would get dogs alerting like crazy I'm sure. The smell is enough to be able to convince me, if I'd never known about the head shop blend product, that a bag of it were weed. And it sure as fuck LOOKS like weed.

Also bought, a 'pink panther', which is just a brand named bright pink gelcap containing methiopropamine (MPA), which is  an analog of methamphetamine, where the phenyl ring is substituted for by thiophene.

Small bottle of rum, bottle of raspberry sours.

Subway sandwich for breakfast that consisted of: Roast beef with quadruple extra double beef, covered in grated and the other cheese they have there, double quadruple extra cheese of both kinds, and black olives. Lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of olives. A mighty fine breakfast noshup, with a bottle of fresh orange juice, and a black coffee.

Tobacco, papers, candy, candy, more candy and did I mention I have a very sweet tooth and like candy ? :)

A few bottles of morphine and codeine cough mixtures from various pharmacies, as well as a pack of co-dydramol, the OTC strength dihydrocodeine/paracetamol combination. Not that it would be a great deal of use to me for keeping my joints pain free. But I've been reading some stuff on some chem forums I frequent, and seemingly a combination of concentrated hydrochloric acid and boric acid makes for a reagent system that when used to heat dihydrocodeine inside a sealed glass tube, or prolonged reflux for several days under inert gas, actually is capable of selectively performing the cleavage of the aryl methyl ether, to give dihydromorphine in a fair yield.

Never had DHM before. Will be interesting to try and see if it works, as the HCl/boric acid system is a much milder set of reagents and reaction conditions than the traditional way to cleave aryl aliphatic ethers, reflux in constant-boiling HBr.

Found a bag of weed too while I was out. Not weighed, but it looked like a very fat, packed 8th. Or at least, it did before I got to it. Now I have a little less than a tenbag, although its still a fairly generous little less than ten sack. Pretty nice stuff too.

Bought some new CDs, two albums from cradle of filth, one by 'the bled', one album by breed 77, one by drowning pool, one from black tide, dry kill logic, million dead; and bleed the sky.
Also bought myself Opeth's new album, 'heritage'. Loving it. They switched to a melodic, less death-growl oriented style for this album, a lot of clean vocals and guitar. Sounds great though even though quite different to past Opeth fare.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5598 on: January 09, 2014, 05:17:47 PM »
50 pound bag of ice melter for my driveway and walkways, it's orange and supposed to be easier on dogs feet than just salt or calcium
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5599 on: January 12, 2014, 11:17:59 PM »
^Dogs here are having the opposite problem - the ground being too hot for them to walk on. Best thing to do is take them down to the beach imo.

Today I will be buying a cat carrier so both the cats can go to the vet at the same time.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5600 on: January 18, 2014, 01:30:59 AM »
Only problem I see is that my rendering program runs fucking balls to the wall, constantly.  Meaning it maximizes all eight processors at one hundred percent capability all the time it is rendering, constantly.
My CPU cooler has two stages of protection. First stage is normal use and it is totally silent, quieter than a whisper in the next room and a second stage of "safety"  which runs a massive (kind of loud, meant to save the day, because the processor is approaching danger levels of heat) fan. I have gone into the bios and tried to adjust when the "save the day"  processor fan kicks in. Helped some, but it still turns on every five minutes or so. Do not feel safe upping the safeguard temp much above one ninety C. Tried it at two twenty C. Made no difference, still cycled the safety fan too often. Ended up setting it back to factory spec = one hundred eighty degrees Centigrade.

I am looking at either setting the processor a bit more slow from the get go (defeating the idea of having an huge eight core processor running solid, to some degree) and hoping to continually save the day or maybe finding another cooling system.

I have already been through the entire set of "changeable properties"  within the software. Not sure why it was set up to use one hundred percent of cpu power each second of every day, but as far as I can tell, it was.  (already emailed the programmer and asked if there was a way to tone it down a little - awaiting a response.)

I am looking at other cooling options. This one is basic wind drawn air through a set of processor fins. I have never owned a liquid cooled computer. Should I be looking at something like this or should I just give up a few clock cycles and slow things down a bit?

Do not want to fry a two hundred fifty dollar processor tonight.

I have been told that liquid cooling systems work better for hard working cpus.  True? Bullshit?  ???

BTW, I bought the most efficient (read as expensive) cooling fan the manufacturer (AMD) recommended.

???

Any ideas?

Should I go find one of those two hundred dollar liquid cooling systems?

I would say truth.

I don't have one, don't need one (yet :autism:), but if you surf any PC gaming forums the recommendation is mostly for liquid cooling. Hours of gaming can be hell on a system, and the games are nowhere near Mario Bros anymore with the hefty graphic requirements needed just to play them.

I remember when I used to play with Bryce on the first box I built, I put some hefty fans in there...sounded like a plane taking off when they really kicked into gear.  :LOL:

Big fucking LOL!!

I found that the fan system was set up with a scienced out venturi system for the cooling fan. As it should mostly always work it was fine, but needing maximum ventilation, one should "remove the venturi and allow the air to flow with NO restriction."

WTF!!

All it took was breaking out a piece of plastic tunnel which was designed to accelerate the air flow, keeping the fan as quiet as possible, but under maximum need, Removing the air accelerator is indicated.

No more problems.

Damn thing runs at all processors one hundred per cent for hours and no "Save The Day" fan at all. Nothing was mentioned in the instructions about this, but after some research - FUCK! I should have looked closer.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5601 on: January 18, 2014, 03:41:45 AM »
Only problem I see is that my rendering program runs fucking balls to the wall, constantly.  Meaning it maximizes all eight processors at one hundred percent capability all the time it is rendering, constantly.
My CPU cooler has two stages of protection. First stage is normal use and it is totally silent, quieter than a whisper in the next room and a second stage of "safety"  which runs a massive (kind of loud, meant to save the day, because the processor is approaching danger levels of heat) fan. I have gone into the bios and tried to adjust when the "save the day"  processor fan kicks in. Helped some, but it still turns on every five minutes or so. Do not feel safe upping the safeguard temp much above one ninety C. Tried it at two twenty C. Made no difference, still cycled the safety fan too often. Ended up setting it back to factory spec = one hundred eighty degrees Centigrade.

I am looking at either setting the processor a bit more slow from the get go (defeating the idea of having an huge eight core processor running solid, to some degree) and hoping to continually save the day or maybe finding another cooling system.

I have already been through the entire set of "changeable properties"  within the software. Not sure why it was set up to use one hundred percent of cpu power each second of every day, but as far as I can tell, it was.  (already emailed the programmer and asked if there was a way to tone it down a little - awaiting a response.)

I am looking at other cooling options. This one is basic wind drawn air through a set of processor fins. I have never owned a liquid cooled computer. Should I be looking at something like this or should I just give up a few clock cycles and slow things down a bit?

Do not want to fry a two hundred fifty dollar processor tonight.

I have been told that liquid cooling systems work better for hard working cpus.  True? Bullshit?  ???

BTW, I bought the most efficient (read as expensive) cooling fan the manufacturer (AMD) recommended.

???

Any ideas?

Should I go find one of those two hundred dollar liquid cooling systems?

I would say truth.

I don't have one, don't need one (yet :autism:), but if you surf any PC gaming forums the recommendation is mostly for liquid cooling. Hours of gaming can be hell on a system, and the games are nowhere near Mario Bros anymore with the hefty graphic requirements needed just to play them.

I remember when I used to play with Bryce on the first box I built, I put some hefty fans in there...sounded like a plane taking off when they really kicked into gear.  :LOL:

Big fucking LOL!!

I found that the fan system was set up with a scienced out venturi system for the cooling fan. As it should mostly always work it was fine, but needing maximum ventilation, one should "remove the venturi and allow the air to flow with NO restriction."

WTF!!

All it took was breaking out a piece of plastic tunnel which was designed to accelerate the air flow, keeping the fan as quiet as possible, but under maximum need, Removing the air accelerator is indicated.

No more problems.

Damn thing runs at all processors one hundred per cent for hours and no "Save The Day" fan at all. Nothing was mentioned in the instructions about this, but after some research - FUCK! I should have looked closer.

And you did.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5602 on: January 18, 2014, 07:19:44 AM »
Moth balls and dryer sheets to put in my tool boxes in the shed in an attempt to keep the mice out

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5603 on: January 18, 2014, 10:27:01 AM »
Makes a note to get dryer sheets for mine, since the moth balls will kill my ass.

Hope those little buggers choke on the perfume. :voodoo:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5604 on: January 18, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »
Makes a note to get dryer sheets for mine, since the moth balls will kill my ass.

I like the smell of moth balls but then again I'm  :autism:

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #5605 on: January 18, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »
Moth balls and dryer sheets to put in my tool boxes in the shed in an attempt to keep the mice out

Do mice care about moth balls? Have heard it works for snakes.

If you don't mind killing them, in childhood, mom used dark soda for mice in the barn. Any one will do, but she swore dr pepper is the best. Mice can't burp, so it kills them with no worry of poison for other animals that might want to eat them afterward.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5606 on: January 18, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »

Do mice care about moth balls? Have heard it works for snakes.

If you don't mind killing them, in childhood, mom used dark soda for mice in the barn. Any one will do, but she swore dr pepper is the best. Mice can't burp, so it kills them with no worry of poison for other animals that might want to eat them afterward.

I have read that it works about half the time must be the smell
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:54:26 PM by Parts »

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #5607 on: January 18, 2014, 04:17:47 PM »
The smell, yes, fresh ones probably keep lots of things away.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5608 on: January 18, 2014, 05:27:30 PM »

It is said mice hate the scent of peppermint.
So, will be dropping cotton balls with peppermint oil on it on several places in the attic, if it happens to get colder.

Soil is extremely wet now though. Don't think new mice will make it to the entries to the walls and attic this year. They did last year, but that was an exceptionally dry year in my garden.
Have not heard any resident mice since the beginning of spring, nor have I seen cats happily hunting in the attic.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5609 on: January 18, 2014, 05:46:08 PM »
If they really grow to be a pest for you, Parts, this might be the thing you need:

Some fruit growers not far from me are using them, and claiming them to be very effective.