Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157027 times)

Online DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #5580 on: December 28, 2013, 01:45:31 AM »
Only problem I see is that my rendering program runs fucking balls to the wall, constantly.  Meaning it maximizes all eight processors at one hundred percent capability all the time it is rendering, constantly.
My CPU cooler has two stages of protection. First stage is normal use and it is totally silent, quieter than a whisper in the next room and a second stage of "safety"  which runs a massive (kind of loud, meant to save the day, because the processor is approaching danger levels of heat) fan. I have gone into the bios and tried to adjust when the "save the day"  processor fan kicks in. Helped some, but it still turns on every five minutes or so. Do not feel safe upping the safeguard temp much above one ninety C. Tried it at two twenty C. Made no difference, still cycled the safety fan too often. Ended up setting it back to factory spec = one hundred eighty degrees Centigrade.

I am looking at either setting the processor a bit more slow from the get go (defeating the idea of having an huge eight core processor running solid, to some degree) and hoping to continually save the day or maybe finding another cooling system.

I have already been through the entire set of "changeable properties"  within the software. Not sure why it was set up to use one hundred percent of cpu power each second of every day, but as far as I can tell, it was.  (already emailed the programmer and asked if there was a way to tone it down a little - awaiting a response.)

I am looking at other cooling options. This one is basic wind drawn air through a set of processor fins. I have never owned a liquid cooled computer. Should I be looking at something like this or should I just give up a few clock cycles and slow things down a bit?

Do not want to fry a two hundred fifty dollar processor tonight.

I have been told that liquid cooling systems work better for hard working cpus.  True? Bullshit?  ???

BTW, I bought the most efficient (read as expensive) cooling fan the manufacturer (AMD) recommended.

???

Any ideas?

Should I go find one of those two hundred dollar liquid cooling systems?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 01:50:09 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5581 on: December 28, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »
Bras.  The old ones are losing their elasticity and therefore their ability to keep things in their proper places.  I hate spending even the little bit of money that I did, but it also wasn't fun trying to rearrange my boobs in the middle of dancing a couple of weeks ago.   O_o
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

TheoK

« Reply #5582 on: December 28, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »
Don't dance. You know what Cato the Elder said about dancing, don't you?  :M

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5583 on: December 28, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »

Just bought "most"  of the shit to put together a new (-er, bigger better) computer.

Still need PS, Vid, and an amazing audio card. Looking at several. Need to decide on a sound card.

Installed a Corsair thousand watt power supply, just in case. I plan to run several drives and a huge vid card.
Got it rendering today.  Still need to sort out the two big cards, but this thing seems three times faster at rendering huge flame files in the greatest detail, as is.

Looking into the ESI line. Leaning more toward that than the top of the line mAudio Pro line, which I was considering from previous experience in earnest before I decided that I have nothing but money to spend and "my time is limited," so to speak.

SO many great vid cards out there. Just want to flip a three or four GB file in a few seconds. Will never need most of what makes the most expensive cards expensive, such as 3D gaming, ffs.

M-Audio cards are good, no question about that. I seem to remember that some of their cards used the same chip as the ESI.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #5584 on: December 28, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »
I have no idea what you are talking about   :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5585 on: December 28, 2013, 04:28:51 PM »
Sound cards.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #5586 on: December 28, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »

She can dance if she wants to. She can leave her friends behind. :M
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5587 on: December 28, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »
Only problem I see is that my rendering program runs fucking balls to the wall, constantly.  Meaning it maximizes all eight processors at one hundred percent capability all the time it is rendering, constantly.
My CPU cooler has two stages of protection. First stage is normal use and it is totally silent, quieter than a whisper in the next room and a second stage of "safety"  which runs a massive (kind of loud, meant to save the day, because the processor is approaching danger levels of heat) fan. I have gone into the bios and tried to adjust when the "save the day"  processor fan kicks in. Helped some, but it still turns on every five minutes or so. Do not feel safe upping the safeguard temp much above one ninety C. Tried it at two twenty C. Made no difference, still cycled the safety fan too often. Ended up setting it back to factory spec = one hundred eighty degrees Centigrade.

I am looking at either setting the processor a bit more slow from the get go (defeating the idea of having an huge eight core processor running solid, to some degree) and hoping to continually save the day or maybe finding another cooling system.

I have already been through the entire set of "changeable properties"  within the software. Not sure why it was set up to use one hundred percent of cpu power each second of every day, but as far as I can tell, it was.  (already emailed the programmer and asked if there was a way to tone it down a little - awaiting a response.)

I am looking at other cooling options. This one is basic wind drawn air through a set of processor fins. I have never owned a liquid cooled computer. Should I be looking at something like this or should I just give up a few clock cycles and slow things down a bit?

I have been told that liquid cooling systems work better for hard working cpus.  True? Bullshit?  ???

BTW, I bought the most efficient (read as expensive) cooling fan the manufacturer (AMD) recommended.

???

Any ideas?

Lord Phlexor had a thread about that here someplace or at least talked about it at one point can't seem to find it at the moment though he has not been on in over a year though
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5588 on: December 28, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
Laundry detergent BOGO and some marked down pork ribs, BOGO

BOGO = Buy One, Get One (free)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5589 on: December 28, 2013, 09:34:42 PM »

???

Any ideas?

I would say truth.

I don't have one, don't need one (yet :autism:), but if you surf any PC gaming forums the recommendation is mostly for liquid cooling. Hours of gaming can be hell on a system, and the games are nowhere near Mario Bros anymore with the hefty graphic requirements needed just to play them.

I remember when I used to play with Bryce on the first box I built, I put some hefty fans in there...sounded like a plane taking off when they really kicked into gear.  :LOL:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5590 on: December 29, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »

She can dance if she wants to. She can leave her friends behind. :M
Dancers are HAWT.  Srsly.  Most of them (especially closer to my age) are load more fit than your average ("fatty-fat") Americans.  And less douchey.  It's also pretty damn fantastic when someone can dance well.  Especially leading.  I gotta admit, it's pretty sweet when a guy can lead really well.  I've also heard guys (who are generally leads) say they appreciate good follows.

It's all lovely, really.  :D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:00:15 PM by PMS Elle »
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

TheoK

« Reply #5591 on: December 29, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
I bought a new coffee mill today  :M

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5592 on: January 09, 2014, 07:36:45 AM »
A dress for the youngest, black and white checkered, fifties style, high waist, very wide skirt. And today I found a polka-dot version of that dress for the oldest. Seller agreed on my bid, now waiting for her banking details. Found both dresses on marktplaats. So, for a nice affordable price. Oldest doesn't know yet.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #5593 on: January 09, 2014, 09:44:29 AM »
A dress for the youngest, black and white checkered, fifties style, high waist, very wide skirt. And today I found a polka-dot version of that dress for the oldest. Seller agreed on my bid, now waiting for her banking details. Found both dresses on marktplaats. So, for a nice affordable price. Oldest doesn't know yet.

I would not buy clothes that I couldn't try on ahead of time.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5594 on: January 09, 2014, 11:45:49 AM »

I would not buy clothes that I couldn't try on ahead of time.
The dress I got for my youngest is a bigger size of a dress she already has. Her favourite dress, and she is growing out of it. So, that was not a big gamble at all.
For my oldest, I may have guessed wrong. If so, I either have to adapt the dress, or make a pattern out of it adjusted to her physical needs. I had been looking for patterns for dresses like this. They were more expensive than this dress. So, nothing is lost. Pretty sure it will fit though.
I suck at gauging my size, and what will be good for me to wear. But when I bring clothes home for them to fit, from my work, I very rarely have to bring them back. Somehow I guess right, both in style and size.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!