Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 114197 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I'm low on estrogen and I've got a gun.
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8355 on: February 07, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »
Sardines :P...I don't know ANY of you...except maybe Lestat, I like roast beef.

I have purchased seeds. Flower seeds, vegetable seeds, herb seeds, a ton of seeds.

I will definitely regret this decision at planting time. I've been trapped in the house waaay too long this winter.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8356 on: February 07, 2018, 01:14:26 PM »
Oh damn ren. Your usually one of the sharpest tools in our collective box :autism: Bet that wasn't fun.

Reminds me of one time I read this chemist's toxicology blog, and ROFL 'about how I nearly killed my dad', after this guy as a kid, was preparing horseradish in bulk, grated it and stuck it all in a blender, then left it for some time to let the enzymatic reaction release as much allyl isothiocyanate as possible, took a sniff part way through, then, after it sends him reeling and choking and about to start vomiting out of both ends at once, goes to his father, moments after his mother saw him as a kid pick it up and say, 'hey, look at this', and knowing him, wisely scarpered:D

His old man put his face up to it even longer and took a big horf, expecting horseradish to be spicy, but not close to a chemical warfare agent (methyl isocyanate, for example and other isocyanates and isothiocyanates, and hell, allylic groups are reactive enough, are really reactive and pretty noxious stuff, it being a release of industrial methyl isocyanate that formed the lethal gas cloud that rolled down towards the citizens of Bhopal after the industrial disaster there and wiped the place out pretty well, not 100% but a significant kill rate.

In the likes of mustard etc. and a lot of other such  Brassicaceae and Alliaceae, the plants have separate cells holding a precursor that reacts with an enzyme, such as myrosinase, in mustard for example, the two react to form volatile isothiocyanates via a nifty as hell little molecular rearrangement, which then after a time, mellow to less toxic alllylic cyanides and similar, its a defense against predators, where the plant is crushed, the cells release their contents into each other, one rearrangement reaction later, you get the characteristic smell, which we humans have learned to see as something tasty and spicy to stick on food, rather than deterring us from eating the things (lol I've even heard from my old man he knew someone who would pick up onions and just crunch into one with his teeth as though it were an apple....*shudders and nearly pukes from both ends himself*) it encourages us to grow them just for eating.

And this kid nearly gassed his old man with the closed blender having prevented all the allyl isothiocyanate and allyl cyanide from escaping, and flooded the kitchen with virulent, choking, eye-ripper toxic fumes like one of josef mengele's own farts in hell while being busy roasting in lava (I hope at least :P)

And was dumb enough to get smacked senseless like that, then his old man even dumber, took the thing later and shoved his face in it like a complete tool.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8357 on: February 07, 2018, 05:26:20 PM »
A teething toy for Filburt
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8358 on: February 07, 2018, 09:01:55 PM »
I reckon I need to buy myself another tub of elemental iodine. I'm down to my last 1/4kg or so. Been meaning to get some bromine too, but that I won't need to actually buy anything for, since I've one of my 500ml 2-necked flasks full of sodium bromide, that simply needs to be cooled down on an ice bath and have chlorine gas piped through it, then the bromine tapped off in a separatory funnel and dried over anhydrous calcium bromide or anhydrous CaCl2, then double-distilled to meet my standards then, after keeping it on an ice-salt-methanol/antifreeze bath, weighed out in portion sizes I'm likely to want to use practically, say, 1g, 5g, 10g, 25 or 30g, 50 and 100g and seal them in glass ampoules, flame-fused shut and kept in the fridge until it comes to using the contents. The NaBr is there in the lab already dissolved in water, it just needs me to rig up a chlorine gas generator and start piping in gas. In fact I've one half done, already full of potassium permanganate, just needs some hydrochloric acid pouring in, and the cooling bath to be readied by breaking some ice up, salting it and pouring on some antifreeze and methylated spirit.

I do need to buy ampoules in various sizes though. From 1ml to a 250ml perhaps, and various in between sizes. For keeping Br2 in (its a well-known escape artist of a chemical, volatile, giving off nasty fumes, and indeed its fairly notorious for its escaping from bottles. So flame-sealed amps is the most practical way.), and other things like iodine monochloride, chromyl chloride (a coincidentally bromine looking liquid made by heating a mixture of table salt, concentrated, dry sulfuric acid (98% is good enough, with a little loss due to hydrolysis but not much, and a dichromate salt) need to make more of that too, got the stuff.

Need me to get me some lithium aluminium hydride though, which would be difficult to make. Although might be able to manage it with some  effort, although I'll need to buy a big pot of lithium, I do have some but only 20g or so left, maybe a bit under 25g. Although theres been 100g lots sold on ebay of late in pelleted form. That could be just the thing, starting by melting lithium in a ceramic 'boat' placed inside a quartz tube which has hydrogen and inert gas flowing through it, the exit-gases being stopped from giving a flashback flame with a one-way valve. and some metal mesh in a pipe connected to the outlet., to make lithium hydride, then purification by dissolving it in diethyl ether (higher solubility) or THF, although its a bit less soluble in THF. I'd choose the THF since I have a big tank of THF in the fridge, and just use a soxhlet and heavy-duty soxhlet condenser to continually shunt back the solvent, then distill it a couple of times, treat for peroxides, add a strip of copper as an inhibitor of peroxidation, and leave a couple of nuggets of sodium metal in the can to destroy any, if on testing after the reclamation of the THF, that there has been any peroxidation, plus to deter formation of the nasty little fuckers, after first reacting with lithium chloride to form LiAlH4, with a bit of LiCl in it, although that doesn't matter, although could be removed but it'd mean dealing with the large quantity of LAH in bulk for more time than I'd like. Its highly pyrophoric, causing an intense metal fire that is difficult to put out on contact with air, and it is SERIOUSLY violently reactive with water. And in liters of THF, that would be REALLY unpleasant to have to deal with, and be a fucking difficult thing to put out. It'd be an inferno. And those I'd rather avoid. Especially when they involve a large quantity of alkali metal hydrides (not cheap, difficult to find, difficult to buy, very demanding to produce and if you do get any of them then they are precious reagents)

Hm, reminds me, I need to buy a potato, to make some peroxidation testing strips.

(and if anyones wondering why I'd use THF despite LAH being more soluble in diethyl ether, just so I don't need to spend the time either redistilling the ether I do have, drying it etc., and since I haven't as much diethyl or diisopropyl ether if I want more I'd have either to make some with the alcohol and hot conc. sulfuric acid, or else buy another can of ether.)

Meaning more work, more peroxide testing on a regular schedule. More expense. So I'll use the THF as I've got loads of it, and recycle it with that nice big hefty 5-liter 4-neck flask. Perfect, once I stopper some necks and stick the condensers in place and start distilling. Could maybe even purge the THF can with argon, just for extra safety and then distill off the THF back right into it, since its pretty low boiling.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8359 on: February 07, 2018, 09:11:58 PM »
Bargains at the thrift store:

Disney Tshirt for the PR 84 cents
Running shorts for the PR $2.45
Wrist purse for the PR 48 cents
Paperback book for me 48 cents
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8360 on: February 07, 2018, 10:19:41 PM »
:)

And the PR being treated and made a happy bunny is  double :) :)

How is she doing QV? hope you'll pass on my regards to her for me :)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8361 on: February 08, 2018, 08:09:13 AM »
Oh damn ren. Your usually one of the sharpest tools in our collective box :autism: Bet that wasn't fun.

Reminds me of one time I read this chemist's toxicology blog, and ROFL 'about how I nearly killed my dad', after this guy as a kid, was preparing horseradish in bulk, grated it and stuck it all in a blender, then left it for some time to let the enzymatic reaction release as much allyl isothiocyanate as possible, took a sniff part way through, then, after it sends him reeling and choking and about to start vomiting out of both ends at once, goes to his father, moments after his mother saw him as a kid pick it up and say, 'hey, look at this', and knowing him, wisely scarpered:D

His old man put his face up to it even longer and took a big horf, expecting horseradish to be spicy, but not close to a chemical warfare agent (methyl isocyanate, for example and other isocyanates and isothiocyanates, and hell, allylic groups are reactive enough, are really reactive and pretty noxious stuff, it being a release of industrial methyl isocyanate that formed the lethal gas cloud that rolled down towards the citizens of Bhopal after the industrial disaster there and wiped the place out pretty well, not 100% but a significant kill rate.

In the likes of mustard etc. and a lot of other such  Brassicaceae and Alliaceae, the plants have separate cells holding a precursor that reacts with an enzyme, such as myrosinase, in mustard for example, the two react to form volatile isothiocyanates via a nifty as hell little molecular rearrangement, which then after a time, mellow to less toxic alllylic cyanides and similar, its a defense against predators, where the plant is crushed, the cells release their contents into each other, one rearrangement reaction later, you get the characteristic smell, which we humans have learned to see as something tasty and spicy to stick on food, rather than deterring us from eating the things (lol I've even heard from my old man he knew someone who would pick up onions and just crunch into one with his teeth as though it were an apple....*shudders and nearly pukes from both ends himself*) it encourages us to grow them just for eating.

And this kid nearly gassed his old man with the closed blender having prevented all the allyl isothiocyanate and allyl cyanide from escaping, and flooded the kitchen with virulent, choking, eye-ripper toxic fumes like one of josef mengele's own farts in hell while being busy roasting in lava (I hope at least :P)

And was dumb enough to get smacked senseless like that, then his old man even dumber, took the thing later and shoved his face in it like a complete tool.
:D Now that's funny.

But give me a break though, I was only in my early teens when I had that teaspoon of wasabi. I was with a friend's family at a food hall in the city where I bought a bento box that contained the wasabi. My reaction to it made them laugh themselves silly while I tried to ease the sting with a drink. Which was futile. Eating some rice helped though.

What have I bought? I went shopping with Kayleigh after she had her hair done and I bought some shiny socks as well as some plain ones. I also bought two pairs of pants - one pair black and the others army green. Some makeup and a feathery cat toy as well.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8362 on: February 08, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »
Sardines :P...I don't know ANY of you...except maybe Lestat, I like roast beef.

I have purchased seeds. Flower seeds, vegetable seeds, herb seeds, a ton of seeds.

I will definitely regret this decision at planting time. I've been trapped in the house waaay too long this winter.

See, now one of you supports my premise.

For the long run, I retract my sexist remark about mainly men enjoying sardines and such while mostly women are not enjoying canned fish, since I have been proven "SO WRONG"  by some of the most powerful, established and seasoned women on this site.

As an aside, my son and I have both observed what I said originally and he posted similarly at his media consorts, only to be shut down by foreign penpals right away. In fact he had a Danish "friend"  write back that if she and her family did not eat canned fish where they live, in the winter they would not have much protein to eat, except for their (often pregnant) animals. 

Generic, sexually biased statement retracted, once and for all.  Except that American women seem to be exactly as I said before. Some one show me an American woman who likes fish of any kind from a can.

OK, a partial retraction.
 :dunno:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:05:52 PM by DirtDawg »
Confucius: A man who has mosquito land upon testicles finds a way to solve problems without violence. (Surely, a modern bastardization of TeH Master)

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form. (from My heart to You! Never stop learning!)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8363 on: February 08, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »
Bargains at the thrift store:

Disney Tshirt for the PR 84 cents
Running shorts for the PR $2.45
Wrist purse for the PR 48 cents
Paperback book for me 48 cents

I love the thrift store! Last time I went I found a giant 4X "UGLY" (beautiful to me - I love them)  HUGE Hawaiian shirt that falls below my waist.
A couple of bucks well spent!
Confucius: A man who has mosquito land upon testicles finds a way to solve problems without violence. (Surely, a modern bastardization of TeH Master)

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form. (from My heart to You! Never stop learning!)

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8364 on: February 10, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »
Don't you worry Ren, you know I don't have it in for you.

But wasabi, etc. ISN'T meant to be a staple diet all the same. It was more funny than anything (mind you, laughing not AT, but with you), at least, that was my intent. I don't want you to suffer in the least; and were we not separated by continents, and you physically close enough for it to be possible, I'd gladly take you to a good pub and get in the first round of drinks :) )

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8365 on: February 10, 2018, 08:58:28 PM »
I would be for that, Lestat. :)

Went to the second hand shop (you lot call it a thrift store) and bought 3 t-shirts for me and a pair of around-the-house pants for Kayleigh.

Came home and washed them all.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8366 on: February 11, 2018, 04:00:26 AM »
Lol what other kind  IS there....at least if you have the curtains open and/or live with anybody that doesn't see one as someone to get in bed with. Or are an exhibitionist perve type haha.

As for thrift shops, you find some  rather neat things in those at times. I've got a couple of leather jackets for a bit over a tenner each for example. Intended, I think, most likely for a female of 10-30 or so, but I can still squeeze into them, just about, without bursting the arms open. I like those, its like a second skin with a built-in squeeze-machine. Although its only because I'm fairly thin in build (I have to hide the ribcage if I want to look..err..normal, in a manner of speaking.) that I can fit in them at all.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8367 on: February 14, 2018, 04:43:58 PM »
A Garrett pinpointer
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #8368 on: February 14, 2018, 05:18:01 PM »
A Garrett pinpointer
Didn't know there is such a thing. Nice.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8369 on: February 15, 2018, 02:04:10 AM »
I want one now.
To me it looks like you're saying that banning bombs didn't stop bombs going off therefore there is no point to gun control because it's a mental health issue.