Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155621 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2007, 06:27:33 AM »
i thought they'd both have batteries.  who the fuck uses four AAA batteries?  ::)

check your PMs for the detailed version.  ;)

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2007, 06:29:10 AM »
i thought they'd both have batteries.  who the fuck uses four AAA batteries?  ::)

check your PMs for the detailed version.  ;)

That's the reason why I bought one that plugs into the mains  :laugh:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2007, 06:35:22 AM »
i'd be terrified, in case it got wet - i mean, there's electrifying orgasms, and then there's electrocution.  :yikes:

ozymandias

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2007, 07:23:47 AM »
Postage for a camp care package to Amber!

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2007, 10:23:08 AM »
The new Harry Potter book. Am I going to get lambasted for it?
i can't wait to read it.

Ditto.  I plan to mooch off a friend.  I will likely buy my own copy enevtually but I'd be surprised if it's anywhere to be had right now (though if I hit up walmart today it would be worth checking).

Oh, BTW, I came across my local CVS's last copy of HP7 that day on my morning walk, and read it all the way through that day.  I consider it six or seven hours well spent.  (I think it was in that range, anyway.)
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »
i can't wait to read it.

Ditto.  I plan to mooch off a friend.  I will likely buy my own copy enevtually but I'd be surprised if it's anywhere to be had right now (though if I hit up walmart today it would be worth checking).

Oh, BTW, I came across my local CVS's last copy of HP7 that day on my morning walk, and read it all the way through that day.  I consider it six or seven hours well spent.  (I think it was in that range, anyway.)
Did you enjoy it?

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2007, 06:24:13 PM »
In the past month? Here's the big purchases:

Nolan 100 watt valve guitar amp ( @ $210)
1968 - 1972 era Ampeg V-4/VT22 100 watt valve guitar amp chassis, awaiting 3 preamp valves and output valves. ( $77) --Perhaps this one needs new smoothing caps as well.

Redwing Steeltoe hiking boots for work, as my old steeltoes just died after 2 months usage ( @ $160, on order, as the local Redwing  store had none in my size)

Music, new:

Ministry - Rio Grand Blood
Boris w/ Michio Kurihara - Rainbow
The Cramps - Bad Music For Bad People
Lock & Key - No Fate
Lock & Key - Pull Up The Floorboards
Movers & Shakers - CDR that came with 7" record

Music, used :

Turbonegro - Party Animals
GG Allin - Freaks, Faggots, Drunks & Junkies ( His horrible later period stuff, not the rocking X rated Jabbers era power pop)
The Unseen - The Anger And The Truth
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
Candiria - 300 Percent Density

"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

richard

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2007, 07:08:47 PM »
beer, lots of it ;)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2007, 08:04:27 PM »

1968 - 1972 era Ampeg V-4/VT22 100 watt valve guitar amp chassis, awaiting 3 preamp valves and output valves. ( $77) --Perhaps this one needs new smoothing caps as well.

Redwing Steeltoe hiking boots for work, as my old steeltoes just died after 2 months usage ( @ $160, on order, as the local Redwing  store had none in my size)

Music, new:

Lock & Key - No Fate

Music, used :

GG Allin - Freaks, Faggots, Drunks & Junkies ( His horrible later period stuff, not the rocking X rated Jabbers era power pop)
Circle Jerks - Group Sex

You have to order your shoes, Bigfoot? I have to because I am a widebody with fat feet.
:laugh:

Have you tried any of the Jap caps? They're kind of expensive, but Parts Express has a couple under the Dayton brand and I have heard good things about the Auricaps and V-Caps, some of which are silver/mica or Teflon/tin "audiophile grade" like used in the better SET amps. Upgrading the power caps is a good first step, usually, but Auricap has all sizes, even coupling caps available.

Where the hell are you finding used music from these esoteric groups, like Turbonegro?
:thumbup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2007, 03:14:01 AM »

Music, new:

Lock & Key - No Fate

Music, used :

Circle Jerks - Group Sex

You have to order your shoes, Bigfoot? I have to because I am a widebody with fat feet.
:laugh:

Have you tried any of the Jap caps? They're kind of expensive, but Parts Express has a couple under the Dayton brand and I have heard good things about the Auricaps and V-Caps, some of which are silver/mica or Teflon/tin "audiophile grade" like used in the better SET amps. Upgrading the power caps is a good first step, usually, but Auricap has all sizes, even coupling caps available.

Where the hell are you finding used music from these esoteric groups, like Turbonegro?
:thumbup:

First with the shoes, The Redwing store in this town is lame, when I went to the redwing Store in South Portland, Maine The had nearly everything in stock. --I wear a relatively common shoe size.

With the caps, I actually need the large filtering caps for the PSU, as the ones that are currently in the Ampeg are the originals from the late 60's. One of my Seymore Duncans has been refitted with Hoveland Musicaps and Siderealcaps, which are the predecessors of Auricaps. --It sounds much better than the other which is stock.

As for the music, The local independant music store, which is owned by a former music professor. It's located a couple of blocks from the local University ( University of South Carolina) --He has a decent selection of music, the Turbonegro CD showed up used.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2007, 05:53:48 AM »

I can't imagine having an indie music enthusiast shop IN-TOWN where I live. That's really cool. There are buttloads of CD shops here, but you have to wade through mountains of pop and country stuff to even find anything.

On the caps I was talking about these guys who are adding a smaller cap across the cans in the power supply "to improve speed" ...
I know it sounds ridiculous to talk about hearing a difference in "speed" of sound by adding faster caps to the power supply, but some people try anything for a unique sound, I guess. I would think it would make it a little quiter, but I doubt anyone expects that old Ampeg to be very quiet. Great find, though.
Right now, my work bench is chest deep in unrelated crap, all of it piled on top of my disassembled 'scope.

:venere:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2007, 06:26:57 AM »
i can't wait to read it.

Did you enjoy it?

yeah.  it was a worthy purchase.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2007, 06:36:15 AM »
i can't wait to read it.

Did you enjoy it?

yeah.  it was a worthy purchase.
Good. Are you planning a reread?

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2007, 06:37:26 AM »

Not the whole thing, but maybe some parts of it.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2007, 06:49:54 AM »

Not the whole thing, but maybe some parts of it.
Just the parts you expect to nab good quotes from...?