Author Topic: Homosexuality and the Bible  (Read 8448 times)

Offline morthaur

• Dungeon Master of the Aspie Élite
  • Part of the Chaos
Re: Homosexuality and the Bible
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2007, 11:33:24 AM »
Christianity is far from being the only religion that emphasizes men as the head of the household, pretty sure all of the monotheistic ones do.  That was just the way it was back then, male dominated world for the most part regardless of religion.
Sure, we can agree that patriarchy was 'just the way it was back then'.  My problem is that people use a literal reading of the Bible to say that it is the way it ought to be to-day as well.  If it ought to be that way to-day, because the Bible says so, then the Bible is an immoral book; but if women should not be subjugated to-day, then part of the Bible can be selectively ignored, which is an admission that it is not perfect.  Which is it, then?  Are women to be the property of men and the Bible true, or are women to be treated as human beings and the Bible thought wrong?

The Jewish people I know call it the Torah, not the Hebrew Bible.
Of course.  As I said above, Torah is also shorthand for all of the Hebrew scriptures and holy works, all of the law and revelation.  It is easy to use Torah to mean the Bible, but this is a convention: it is shorter and easier, and unmistakable in meaning for a Jew.

The Old Testament is a Christian invention due to the fact that there is a New Testament, so the previous chapters have to be considered as "Old".
The Tanakh was appropriated--stolen--by Christians and re-branded, and its meaning utterly changed.  It became, in a sense, purely a historical justfication, as the Bible was read to be foretelling Jesus, even if it meant torturing passages out of all logical sense and making people into prophets who were not prophets (Daniel).  The 'Old Testament' is part and parcel of the doctrine of supercession, whereby Christians become the 'new Israel' and the chosen of G-d, and Jews get the shaft...  :grrr:

God is used quite frequently by my friend Todd who is Jewish.   He will never say Jehovah or Yahweh though from what I remember (I just did, oh noes).
The decision not to spell out 'G-d' is a personal one.  Jews do not have a single universal theology, and there is plenty of disagreement over individual practices.  The use of a hyphen is extremely common amongst the Orthodox Jews, but much less so in other sects.  Many Orthodox also place a hyphen in Lord (L-rd), but I have never adopted that one.

The rationale for each has to do with the permanency (or impermanency) of text.  If a Torah scribe makes a mistake on a name of G-d, he cuts that piece from the scroll and buries it.  If a name of G-d is written, the medium must be safeguarded and respected.  Which means that on casual paper conversations or notes, the names of G-d probably should not be written down in the first place...  According to Orthodox Jews, that is.

The Bible is believed to be the word of God written in text by man (women weren't allowed to read and write back then).   The rules were made by God, but interpreted by man.   What happened to those rules afterwards as far as translations go, is the fault of men leading the church.   Another reason why I hate organized religion, it is led by people with agendas who twist it to suit their own purposes.  I am no Catholic or any other denomination for that matter.
But here again you deal with changes in belief over time, which is the main current running through my arguments.  That the Bible was 'written in text by man' is not even universally agreed, for example.  And as interpretations of the text are also done by man, how can you be sure that a church in the USA can read the work better than, say, a Biblical scholar or an Orthodox rabbi?  All of the standard interpretations available show the marks of one organised religion or other, or of academia.  I tend to trust and emphasise the latter, meself.

As far as God being seen.
http://www.gotquestions.org/seen-God.html
http://scriptures.lds.org/tg/g/78
Their are multiple interpretations of that, and they do contradict eachother at first glance, when read out of context obviously.  People pick and choose which to take literally and figuratively.   Moses was put in the crevice of a rock so he didn't die from seeing God's glory (not God himself, but his glory aura or whatever).  Jacob is seen by some to have wrestled an Angel and others as wrestling God himself.
The way a historian might approach them is through shifts in meaning over time.  Jacob wrestled with G-d in the earliest version of the story.  Once G-d had taken on more modern aspects, and was no longer believed to be like other gods, the interpretation changed to involve an angel.  (It is worth noting, too, that older passages in Torah do not deny the existence of other gods, but only proscribes their worship.) The text itself remained the same but the culture changed around it, hence also the meaning.  This is yet another area of Torah scholarship where the names used for G-d are important, as the G-d Moses spoke to and the G-d Jacob wrestled are not the same--Moses took his dictation from YHVH (*) and Jacob wrestled with El.

(* - A typical Orthodox Jew would not write those names out either; but then, I am no Orthodox Jew!  I do so with YHVH because it is not a word in English, and the letters are only stand-ins for the Hebrew.  I do the same for other transliterations as well.  It would be difficult to work in textual criticism without using the English names in some fashion.)

All translations of what Jesus said point to an afterlife.   The prophets Elijah and Elisha each ascended somewhere didn't they?  That is seen as the afterlife, unless Jews do not believe they ascended.
Their 'ascent' to G-d's presence is not the same as an afterlife, though.  Traditional Jews who believe in Moshiach and an 'afterlife' believe that our bodies moulder in the ground until the end of time.  Then, G-d will raise everyone (physically!) from the dead, and the earth will be re-made into the paradise it originally was.  Not quite the same thing, eh?

Rape isn't religiously justified, that is just plain stupid.
Point one: I was using rape figuratively, to refer to our industrial plunder of the earth's resources.
Point two: However, I disagree with you here; rape in the physical, sexual sense is clearly justified in the Bible (given the right circumstances).  What of the sodomites who wanted to bugger Lot's houseguests?  (Genesis 19)  He offered his young daughters to the mob, to be gang-raped, and G-d thought that was a lovely gesture and rewarded him...

We have no idea as Christians when the end is coming and trying to predict it is a waste of time really.
I agree with you here, but many Christians do not.  And it does not change the fact that, historically, predictions were an intimate part of scripture.  Paul was convinced that the world would end in his own generation!  Folks now re-interpret those passages in shameless ways, but there is no mistaking their original intent, especially when one places Paul in his historical and religious context.

The selling of children into slavery is Old Testament material and most do not take it seriously (other than some places in Africa).  The New Testament does not endorse, condone or forbid slavery.  It is basically neutral.
Bullshit.  Paul says that slaves should not be freed, and the Christian Bible thereby directly condones the continuation of slavery as an institution.  Note the following---  1 Corinthians: slaves should not desire their freedom.  Ephesians: slaves must obey their masters just as they do Christ.  Colossians: Paul equates G-d with a slave-owner.  Titus: slaves must please and obey their masters.  Philemon: Paul returns a slave to his 'rightful owner'...

You choose to be moral because you want to do the right thing by people.   If you don't seriously have it in you to treat people like you would want to be treated, then you won't do it anyways.   It is a personal choice regardless of religion, an inconsiderate asshole will not be truly changed by a religion imo.   That person just will have to repent constantly until they learn from their mistakes gradually, religion doesn't have to play a role in this though.   Karma or them reaping what they sow will bite them in the ass usually and force them to learn.
Or, they can cloak themselves in religion and be assholes to other people, like, umm, Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson...  My problem is not with some people just being natural asses, but with the use of religion to justify that behaviour.

Name the laws that Jesus broke yourself.  The Gospels are really the only things that Jesus did, and there isn't any law breaking there other than performing miracles on the Sabbath.
Okay, I'll play ball.  Here are the questionable issues I could think of this morning:
1. A man must have a reverent fear of his father.  If Jesus was, as Christians say, fully man and fully G-d, he would need to fear... himself?!
2. And, there is another commandment, to fear G-d himself...  What would Jesus do here?
3. When a man reaches maturity, he is obliged to marry and sire children.  Where are Jesus' wife and kids?
4. It is forbidden to curse one's father, and one can read Jesus' "Why have you forsaken me?" as a curse, since the statement is apparently false and demonstrates only Jesus'--very human--loss of faith in the moment of death.
5. One is not to inflict suffering on any widow, and it could be argued that having your mother witness your bloody execution is inflicting great suffering!
6. It is not permitted to establish anything as certain by the word of one witness.  And yet, the apostles were supposed to go out and convert people to a heretical form of Judaism on the basis of their own word... to teach people to abandon the Law, on their word alone...
7. It is not permitted to add any new laws.  But the 'golden rule' and the beatitudes, for example, are not in Torah.
8. And lastly, there is a whole raft of laws against the practicing of miracles!

I don't worship science, but I believe it works obviously.   The spiritual experience I am referring to isn't drug induced anyways and isn't some manifestation of my own design.  There is no actual miracle that happened for me as much as something that spoke to me when I was at my lowest point and encouraged me to find actual help instead of continuing to destroy myself.   Very hard to explain and it was only auditory and is a singular instance that can't really be seen as me being Schizophrenic.
Believing that science works, and ignoring the implications of its work, is a very common state of affairs amongst Christians.  One potentially troublesome area is the cognitive sciences & neurology, which is what I was referring to before.  If there are natural explanations for the religious experiences people have, which can be replicated by stimulating parts of the brain, what does this say about G-d?  Anything?  Anyroad... there are plenty of books and articles on the subject, and if you're interested I can recommend some titles.

My opinion on what God should do with this planet isn't the same as saying that we as humans should do nothing to improve ourselves morally.   You are making a gigantic jump in logic with that one.   In fact we should want to be as close as possible to following God's laws before the actual end.  The whole work in progress until the coming of Jesus thing.   That is saying you should try to be better, not worse.
It is not my leap of logic, but the sort of thing that flies from the mouths of too damned many fundamentalist preachers.  As for trying to improve the world, that seems to me closer to the Jewish ideal of Tikkun Olam than to Bible-thumping Christian fundamentalism...  But maybe I'm just getting cynical and bitter!  :laugh:

The only way you change your life and stop from committing those sins is understanding what causes you to sin.  When you find the root of your flaw, then you change that part.  Assuming the world is going to end in your lifetime is very dumb to me as a Christian.
I wish more Christians agreed with you here.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2007, 01:07:12 PM »
aaaaa too much text!
not compatable with the ADHD mind.

not indeedy.

This thread might be an ecumenical matter.

:laugh: :plus:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2007, 02:19:13 PM »
aaaaa too much text!

not indeedy.

This thread might be an ecumenical matter.

:laugh: :plus:
OMG, have they already written a thesis?  it's like they are being graded or something.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 09:09:07 PM by McLicker »
Misunderstood.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2007, 04:09:28 PM »
as you can see the fuckers wrote a whole book.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Janicka

• Concertmaster of the Aspie World Elite Orchestra
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Nicolo Paganini's Slovakian Prostitute
« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2007, 09:07:28 PM »
I just have this vision of Moses talking to god on Mt. Sinai.
God:" And if a man lie with a man he shall be put to death!"
Moses: "Ok.So what about two women who have sex? Shouldn't we kill them too?"
God: "What the hell are you,Moses, some kind of fag? That shit's HOT!"

:plus:

:LMAO:
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2007, 09:28:21 PM »
I just have this vision of Moses talking to god on Mt. Sinai.
God:" And if a man lie with a man he shall be put to death!"
Moses: "Ok.So what about two women who have sex? Shouldn't we kill them too?"
God: "What the hell are you,Moses, some kind of fag? That shit's HOT!"

:plus:

:LMAO:

Ahh, shit!
I that's hilarious!

Plussing up Vortex for that one, too.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2007, 09:32:43 PM »
god is totally for boy/boy love. :green:
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2007, 12:03:42 AM »
aaaaa too much text!
:agreed:

Subject is interesting, but my poor mind
can't take that all on the computer.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2007, 01:39:37 AM »
Sure, we can agree that patriarchy was 'just the way it was back then'.  My problem is that people use a literal reading of the Bible to say that it is the way it ought to be to-day as well.  If it ought to be that way to-day, because the Bible says so, then the Bible is an immoral book; but if women should not be subjugated to-day, then part of the Bible can be selectively ignored, which is an admission that it is not perfect.  Which is it, then?  Are women to be the property of men and the Bible true, or are women to be treated as human beings and the Bible thought wrong?
   Yes the Bible is wrong in that regard.   My mother who claims to be a extremely loyal Christian even disagrees, and when I confronted her about her role in the household and what her Bible says about it recently she cried and couldn't muster an argument.   Especially about women speaking in church and such.  Selectively ignoring the Bible does say it is imperfect, which I can obviously see.  It was written by humans that supposedly received word from God, I take whatever positives I can from that word.   You are assuming I am a hugely literal Christian here and not open to other spiritual and religious ideas.

Of course.  As I said above, Torah is also shorthand for all of the Hebrew scriptures and holy works, all of the law and revelation.  It is easy to use Torah to mean the Bible, but this is a convention: it is shorter and easier, and unmistakable in meaning for a Jew.
I only hear Torah from the Jews I have known, and I have known plenty.   Hell my neighbors and good friends from age 5 onwards were Jews and all I ever heard them say is Torah.   I went to Boy Scouts with those same friends and it was held at a Synagogue (Jewish community center) and all they used was Torah from what I heard.   I only got to Life, while one of my friends got Eagle scout actually.

The Tanakh was appropriated--stolen--by Christians and re-branded, and its meaning utterly changed.  It became, in a sense, purely a historical justfication, as the Bible was read to be foretelling Jesus, even if it meant torturing passages out of all logical sense and making people into prophets who were not prophets (Daniel).  The 'Old Testament' is part and parcel of the doctrine of supercession, whereby Christians become the 'new Israel' and the chosen of G-d, and Jews get the shaft...  :grrr:
There is still place in the Kingdom of God for Jews as far as Christ is concerned.   They are still subject to the same laws as before anyways, but their place is the same.   Whether they become Messianic Jews or not is another story, that would just make things a bit easier on them as far as being forgiven is concerned.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Judaism

The decision not to spell out 'G-d' is a personal one.  Jews do not have a single universal theology, and there is plenty of disagreement over individual practices.  The use of a hyphen is extremely common amongst the Orthodox Jews, but much less so in other sects.  Many Orthodox also place a hyphen in Lord (L-rd), but I have never adopted that one.
The rationale for each has to do with the permanency (or impermanency) of text.  If a Torah scribe makes a mistake on a name of G-d, he cuts that piece from the scroll and buries it.  If a name of G-d is written, the medium must be safeguarded and respected.  Which means that on casual paper conversations or notes, the names of G-d probably should not be written down in the first place...  According to Orthodox Jews, that is.
Why do you do it if you aren't even a Jew?   You admittedly are no Orthodox Jew.   I see people use J-sus even.  When I was fully atheist I used Xian and Xianity or Xtian or Xtianity quite a bit myself.   I never put a hyphen though in anything.

But here again you deal with changes in belief over time, which is the main current running through my arguments.  That the Bible was 'written in text by man' is not even universally agreed, for example.  And as interpretations of the text are also done by man, how can you be sure that a church in the USA can read the work better than, say, a Biblical scholar or an Orthodox rabbi?  All of the standard interpretations available show the marks of one organised religion or other, or of academia.  I tend to trust and emphasise the latter, meself.
They are all crap and subject to human error.   The more times people get to read over things like the Bible, the more literal and figurative interpretations can be made from it.   That basically makes it crap to me.   There is no part of the Bible that does not actually have a human author.   Either being passed down by word of mouth or written actually by a man.   Doing that leads to change.

The way a historian might approach them is through shifts in meaning over time.  Jacob wrestled with G-d in the earliest version of the story.  Once G-d had taken on more modern aspects, and was no longer believed to be like other gods, the interpretation changed to involve an angel.  (It is worth noting, too, that older passages in Torah do not deny the existence of other gods, but only proscribes their worship.) The text itself remained the same but the culture changed around it, hence also the meaning.  This is yet another area of Torah scholarship where the names used for G-d are important, as the G-d Moses spoke to and the G-d Jacob wrestled are not the same--Moses took his dictation from YHVH (*) and Jacob wrestled with El.

(* - A typical Orthodox Jew would not write those names out either; but then, I am no Orthodox Jew!  I do so with YHVH because it is not a word in English, and the letters are only stand-ins for the Hebrew.  I do the same for other transliterations as well.  It would be difficult to work in textual criticism without using the English names in some fashion.)
Yes changes over time is something a serious believer who wants to take everything literally would be concerned with.   Where do I say that the Bible itself was handwritten by God and has never been changed by jackass humans?  You are no Orthodox Jew and yet you put hyphens in names.

Their 'ascent' to G-d's presence is not the same as an afterlife, though.  Traditional Jews who believe in Moshiach and an 'afterlife' believe that our bodies moulder in the ground until the end of time.  Then, G-d will raise everyone (physically!) from the dead, and the earth will be re-made into the paradise it originally was.  Not quite the same thing, eh?
So are you saying they ceased to exist after they ascended to wherever God and the angels reside?   I always assumed the angels that are present in some places in the Bible were right where God was most of the time.   That would be heaven but it was without an actual name in the Old Testament era. 

Point one: I was using rape figuratively, to refer to our industrial plunder of the earth's resources.
Point two: However, I disagree with you here; rape in the physical, sexual sense is clearly justified in the Bible (given the right circumstances).  What of the sodomites who wanted to bugger Lot's houseguests?  (Genesis 19)  He offered his young daughters to the mob, to be gang-raped, and G-d thought that was a lovely gesture and rewarded him...
  That is the Old Testament, but yes that is pretty fucked up.   See that is sex outside of marriage and thus adultery.  One of many places where the Bible contradicts itself.   

I agree with you here, but many Christians do not.  And it does not change the fact that, historically, predictions were an intimate part of scripture.  Paul was convinced that the world would end in his own generation!  Folks now re-interpret those passages in shameless ways, but there is no mistaking their original intent, especially when one places Paul in his historical and religious context.

]Bullshit.  Paul says that slaves should not be freed, and the Christian Bible thereby directly condones the continuation of slavery as an institution.  Note the following---  1 Corinthians: slaves should not desire their freedom.  Ephesians: slaves must obey their masters just as they do Christ.  Colossians: Paul equates G-d with a slave-owner.  Titus: slaves must please and obey their masters.  Philemon: Paul returns a slave to his 'rightful owner'...
   Paul equates sin as the slave owner and humans as slaves to sin.   That is where slavery is in the New Testament.   The opposite ends up as the human is now slave to God and his laws, freeing you from the slavery of sin but making you now a slave to God.   
http://www.xenos.org/teachings/topical/wisdom/gary/wisdom-2.htm
More detailed examples on slavery in the New Testament.  Mostly by Paul and has you taking him out of context.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/sla_bibl2.htm
How Paul didn't even comment on whether slavery was actually wrong when the subject literally came to light.   Him not discussing the immorality of slave owning could be determined as condoning it.

Or, they can cloak themselves in religion and be assholes to other people, like, umm, Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson...  My problem is not with some people just being natural asses, but with the use of religion to justify that behaviour.
  How does it justify the behaviour if they are not supposed to be the first to cast stones or to tell someone of the speck in their eye when they have a plank in their own?   That is just self righteous asshole preachers judging people and condemning them to hell, when they themselves have their own sins that are probably ignored and most likely will make them suffer the same fate.   They think they are correcting their brother, but they are just being judgemental pricks.   I dislike such people and see them as those who want to do God's job themselves.   That isn't biblical imo.

Okay, I'll play ball.  Here are the questionable issues I could think of this morning:
1. A man must have a reverent fear of his father.  If Jesus was, as Christians say, fully man and fully G-d, he would need to fear... himself?!
2. And, there is another commandment, to fear G-d himself...  What would Jesus do here?
3. When a man reaches maturity, he is obliged to marry and sire children.  Where are Jesus' wife and kids?
4. It is forbidden to curse one's father, and one can read Jesus' "Why have you forsaken me?" as a curse, since the statement is apparently false and demonstrates only Jesus'--very human--loss of faith in the moment of death.
5. One is not to inflict suffering on any widow, and it could be argued that having your mother witness your bloody execution is inflicting great suffering!
6. It is not permitted to establish anything as certain by the word of one witness.  And yet, the apostles were supposed to go out and convert people to a heretical form of Judaism on the basis of their own word... to teach people to abandon the Law, on their word alone...
7. It is not permitted to add any new laws.  But the 'golden rule' and the beatitudes, for example, are not in Torah.
8. And lastly, there is a whole raft of laws against the practicing of miracles!
1.  He is God so he wouldn't naturally have to fear himself, his spirit is in human form just for the purpose of sacrifice.
2.  Fearing his literal Father is not possible as he was a virgin birth as far as being a human goes.   He always tells people to fear God though, but not himself from what I have read.   
3.  Jesus was to be sacrificed, his role wasn't to have kids.  It was no sin for him to not procreate as far as I see it.   That was not his purpose.
4.  That wasn't a curse, it was him feeling the pain and anguish as his Father could no longer look upon him.   He was flooded with all the sins of the world at that moment and God the father could no longer look at him during that moment.   This is very commonly known and the opposing viewpoint of someone like my father before he was saved.   Quite hilarious.
5.  It was not his choice to have his mother there at his crucifixion.   She chose to show up and I am not sure if she was a widow to Joseph at that time.
6. They are second hand witnesses to things said by Jesus, who was to them the son of God.  The law wasn't to be totally abandoned anyways.
7.  The golden rule and the beatitudes are mostly simplifications of God's already established laws.  They really aren't anything totally new in that regard.   Christians also believe this is coming from the mouth of the Messiah and not a mere prophet, so it is law.
8.  God can do miracles whenever he wants actually, humans who aren't the actual son of God I would think were still subject to this law.   I can see the problem here and it is pretty clear though.   It basically deals with you not seeing Jesus as a part of God and as a mere man only.  He doesn't reach all of the prophecies either if you want to be technical as far as being the Messiah.   Very surprised you didn't go there.

Believing that science works, and ignoring the implications of its work, is a very common state of affairs amongst Christians.  One potentially troublesome area is the cognitive sciences & neurology, which is what I was referring to before.  If there are natural explanations for the religious experiences people have, which can be replicated by stimulating parts of the brain, what does this say about G-d?  Anything?  Anyroad... there are plenty of books and articles on the subject, and if you're interested I can recommend some titles.
  I am sure man can simulate any sensation that is available to a human naturally.   I can't naturally explain what I heard as there was nothing in the room visible to me and I had no stereo equipment on or anything.   I actually looked around in paranoia afterwards, searched outside my apartment and everything.   Thought someone piped in something lol.   I can tell the difference between talking to myself and hearing music in my head and actually hearing things in the real world.   

It is not my leap of logic, but the sort of thing that flies from the mouths of too damned many fundamentalist preachers.  As for trying to improve the world, that seems to me closer to the Jewish ideal of Tikkun Olam than to Bible-thumping Christian fundamentalism...  But maybe I'm just getting cynical and bitter!  :laugh:
I haven't heard anyone say that we should just be jackasses and pollute the world.   Maybe that is due to me not taking every tele-evangelist seriously at all.   Really no reason to listen to some whores of money.

I wish more Christians agreed with you here.
  No shit that stuff is getting annoying to me.   If the world ends then I have no control over it myself.   I just do my part to not destroy the earth myself via a more gradual manner.   I wouldn't mind killing off everything though but that is a sick personal goal not related to religion.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2007, 07:38:49 AM »
Yes the Bible is wrong in that regard.   My mother who claims to be a extremely loyal Christian even disagrees, and when I confronted her about her role in the household and what her Bible says about it recently she cried and couldn't muster an argument.   Especially about women speaking in church and such.  Selectively ignoring the Bible does say it is imperfect, which I can obviously see.  It was written by humans that supposedly received word from God, I take whatever positives I can from that word.   You are assuming I am a hugely literal Christian here and not open to other spiritual and religious ideas.

Having conceded this point, I would be interested to see you go back and read your previous posts in this thread.  You've made several claims based on what is written in the bible.  Do you still maintain that they're all correct?

More importantly, if you believe some is definitely wrong, how do you determine what is and what isn't?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2007, 11:09:40 AM »
The OP wanted to know what the Bible said about homosexuality from what I understand.   What the Bible says is one thing, whether it is all something I can agree with or not is a different subject entirely.   I look at the Bible and see what things I deem as positive and learn from those mainly.   I will have to look back and see where I said something is 100% correct, that is a matter of opinion in most cases anyways.

My first response was "They leave out woman on woman because they used to not allow women to read period.   Why write to an audience you are forbidding to read?    It makes it easier to oppress them that way."   That basically infers that men wrote the Bible, which is OBVIOUS as all hell because other than a few instances God doesn't claim to actually touch anything and leave physical words.   It is all inspired by God and written down by humans.

Doesn't really tell you that I think the Bible is correct all the time, does it?   The OP wanted an argument based on literal interpretation of the Bible and I just gave what I thought literally it meant in relation to homosexuality.   Another argument was over whether children were educated on what is right or wrong and if that meant that women were taught to read and write.   Obviously women were not taught or encouraged to read or write back then by multiple cultures.

After a while the thread degenerated away from the original topic and I just gave some of my opinions on the Bible.   Basically on how I interpret it myself, not whether it is "correct" or not.    I have heard countless interpretations anyways, some of them border on the insane while others are plain hilarious.   The whole God allowing girl on girl sex while disallowing man on man is one of many hilarious examples.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline morthaur

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2007, 12:33:16 PM »
aaaaa too much text!
not indeedy.
OMG, have they already written a thesis?  it's like they are being graded or something.
Is it not possible to have a serious discussion here, or do they all need to devolve into witty one-liners and social small-talk?  Maybe I'm on the wrong fucking Web site....   ???

Offline morthaur

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2007, 12:33:42 PM »
I am not assuming that, but I am saying that it is logically inconsistent to assert that the Bible is true, and then critique its contents selectively as culture changes.  How can you know that any of it is true, when the gradual evolution of human society slowly eats away at its neolithic and barbarous contents?  This is not to say that the work is without merit, but the assertion that it is the 'word of G-d' and strong faith based upon its contents seems hardly tenable given the criticism that a liberal Christianity such as yours is willing to give it.  The fundamentalists are at least more consistent (though ridiculous to an extreme).

Edit: I want to underline mordok's question to you again.  We are not questioning the fact that you do not have total faith in all of the text; it is clear that you are not a fundamentalist.  The point, rather, is how you make the distinction between one passage's truth and another falsity?  What is your basis for such decisions?  And more importantly, why do you think there is undeniable truth in any part of the book, when some things can plainly be conceded as errors?  Why accept an absurd notion like G-d's incarnation in flesh when you reject other parts of scripture?  What makes any of it true for you?

There is still place in the Kingdom of God for Jews as far as Christ is concerned.   They are still subject to the same laws as before anyways, but their place is the same.   Whether they become Messianic Jews or not is another story, that would just make things a bit easier on them as far as being forgiven is concerned.
Messianic Judaism seems to me a misguided return to the kind of faith the church of James in Jerusalem once professed, only without the rationale of that earlier entity.  Messianic Judaism died out when the world's end proved elusive, and its rebirth is far more a movement within Christianity than a genuine sect of Judaism.

Why do you do it if you aren't even a Jew?   You admittedly are no Orthodox Jew.
I never said that I wasn't Jewish.  I am.  Although my only temple affiliation was Conservative, I identify as and with the Reconstructionist movement.

They [interpretations of the Bible] are all crap and subject to human error.   The more times people get to read over things like the Bible, the more literal and figurative interpretations can be made from it.   That basically makes it crap to me.   There is no part of the Bible that does not actually have a human author.   Either being passed down by word of mouth or written actually by a man.   Doing that leads to change.
This leads inevitably back to the question above: Why attribute any of it to G-d and assume its 'truth'?  Why accept things, like the Christ hypothesis, that contradict even the culture that inspired it, much less common sense and reason?  :)  Why believe that humans need a divine 'saviour' in the first place?

So are you saying they ceased to exist after they ascended to wherever God and the angels reside?   I always assumed the angels that are present in some places in the Bible were right where God was most of the time.   That would be heaven but it was without an actual name in the Old Testament era.
Only inasmuch as it is the theoretical abode of G-d and the heavenly host, etcThat heaven was not conceived as a destination for Man.  For example, it is widely believed that Elijah will return to earth to announce the coming of Moshiach.  In a sense, then, he is seen as waiting there, in G-d's presence, to come back here and announce the impending 'restoration' of the earth to G-d's original design (an earthly paradise), into which the faithful dead would then awaken.

That is the Old Testament, but yes that is pretty fucked up.   See that is sex outside of marriage and thus adultery.  One of many places where the Bible contradicts itself.
But it isn't contradictory in arguing that women have no rights, etc.!  And adultery/polygamy was certainly no crime for those living before the giving of the Law; just look at Abraham...  ;D

...More detailed examples on slavery in the New Testament.  Mostly by Paul and has you taking him out of context....  How Paul didn't even comment on whether slavery was actually wrong when the subject literally came to light.   Him not discussing the immorality of slave owning could be determined as condoning it.
Exactly so.  Slavery is just a given to Paul; just a natural way of life.  The unquestioning acceptance of slavery rings out as an endorsement and justification to my ears... especially when taken in context (e.g., metaphorically making all believers into slaves).

1.  He is God so he wouldn't naturally have to fear himself, his spirit is in human form just for the purpose of sacrifice.
*ahem* What about "true G-d and true Man"?  Jesus' humanity, as a matter of dogma, is not considered to be a mere form, but a genuine incarnation, making him subject to all of the same aspects of humanity as the rest of us.

2.  Fearing his literal Father is not possible as he was a virgin birth as far as being a human goes.   He always tells people to fear God though, but not himself from what I have read.
What does his mother have to do with fearing his father?  If he called G-d his father ("abba"), then the same rule applies, no?  ;D

3.  Jesus was to be sacrificed, his role wasn't to have kids.  It was no sin for him to not procreate as far as I see it.   That was not his purpose.
You are making a doctrinal justification for breaking one of the mitzvoth; if this was his 'purpose, then his purpose did not involve keeping the Law perfectly, did it?

4.  That wasn't a curse, it was him feeling the pain and anguish as his Father could no longer look upon him.   He was flooded with all the sins of the world at that moment and God the father could no longer look at him during that moment...
Seems to me more likely that your position is a later theological justification for that quote in the death story.

5.  It was not his choice to have his mother there at his crucifixion.   She chose to show up and I am not sure if she was a widow to Joseph at that time.
I thought I recalled him dying when Jesus was relatively young, or at least before his mission.  But I'm too lazy now to confirm it!

6. They are second hand witnesses to things said by Jesus, who was to them the son of God.  The law wasn't to be totally abandoned anyways.
Tell that to Paul, who argued rather the reverse!

7.  The golden rule and the beatitudes are mostly simplifications of God's already established laws.  They really aren't anything totally new in that regard.   Christians also believe this is coming from the mouth of the Messiah and not a mere prophet, so it is law.
Which means it is Christian doctrine, nothing more; it is part-and-parcel of supercessionist theology to take a concept like the Law, which was Jewish, and add things to it on the basis of belief that one man was somehow also G-d.  And I'm sorry, but the notion of 'turning the other cheek' is definitely not present in Judaism.  Quite the opposite, in fact!  ;)

8.  God can do miracles whenever he wants actually, humans who aren't the actual son of God I would think were still subject to this law.   I can see the problem here and it is pretty clear though.   It basically deals with you not seeing Jesus as a part of God and as a mere man only.  He doesn't reach all of the prophecies either if you want to be technical as far as being the Messiah.   Very surprised you didn't go there.
Exactly so.  I do not even think there is justification based on the synoptic gospels for believing in Jesus' divinity.  Really, I do not think there is any justification, coming from the pre-Pauline Scriptures and the history, for believing that a man could be also G-d.  But if you read the Bible through pagan eyes, such things become more possible.

I am sure man can simulate any sensation that is available to a human naturally.
But I am not taking about a 'simulation', but rather duplication of the same effects and feelings.  How is one to tell the difference between an 'experience of G-d' that is caused by a naturally-occurring brain misfire and one triggered by an experimental misfire?

I can tell the difference between talking to myself and hearing music in my head and actually hearing things in the real world.
It is of the essence of delusion to make such distinctions.  We humans cannot, in fact, determine the genuine reality of any of our sensations, we can only go on the basis of neurological impulses.  I have no way of knowing that my childhood memory of seeing ghostly images on the Queen Mary is indicative of real apparitions or a youthful and imaginative brain misfiring.  When proof is absent, I fall back on Hume's maxim.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2007, 01:20:02 PM »
aaaaa too much text!
not indeedy.
Is it not possible to have a serious discussion here, or do they all need to devolve into witty one-liners and social small-talk?  Maybe I'm on the wrong fucking Web site....   ???

maybe you are if you get upset by my bitching. :laugh: i feel like i'm missing out is all, cuz i can't read long posts like that. i hate debates anyway. but nevermind me, i was just postwhoring. :P
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2007, 01:20:40 PM »
aaaaa too much text!
not indeedy.

Yes, it seems the majority of posts do devolve.  A few manage to get back on track.  However, the key thing I've found about this place is that all posts are welcome.  Some may just not garner as wide an audience willing to take part.

I, for one, am thoroughly enjoying your posts and discussions and am glad you are here.