Author Topic: Where did the US screw up?  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Vortex_13

• Part of the Chaos
Re: Where did the US screw up?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 12:14:10 AM »
I'm of the opinion that the problem with America at this time is that we don't have the balls to be hardcore bastards nor the sense to be diplomatic. So we are stuck waffling in the middle getting nothing done.
Oh the things I know....

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 12:18:29 PM »
I'm of the opinion that the problem with America at this time is that we don't have the balls to be hardcore bastards nor the sense to be diplomatic. So we are stuck waffling in the middle getting nothing done.
just like our politicians.

the publics want moderates.
Misunderstood.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 01:03:08 PM »
We've always had this BS.  It was just that the Soviet Union sucked even more than we did so we weren't the main target.  Maybe when China gains more influence, people will stop screaming at us.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 07:19:15 AM »
Why is there a sense that america screwed up in the first place?  The idea that we were a thriving hero for the entire world, a shining example of how a society should be run has always been just an idea we came up with or were fed to by allies symapthetic to our way of life or interested in our preference. 

What specifically are you(peter) suggesting we have lost or started doing wrong, that we weren't doing before?
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 07:55:02 AM »
the decline of the middle class.  harder to achieve the american dream....own a home or start a business.
Misunderstood.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 08:11:16 AM »
In that case we didn't screw up, we just didn't enact policies necessary to cause a middle class to flourish or keep it relatively easy for new people to enter the national economy with ease as we once did.  Our system has always been designed to make the rich richer and the sufficiently poor poorer, it is just that we've gotten to a point where enough wealth is distributed among a few enough individuals so that they can control too significantly peoples ability to achieve the american dream or allow the poor and middle class to climb the ladder.

If a few enough people control enough of the wealth they can influence how easy it is for the rest of the pariticipants in the economy to achieve the american dream, and since there are only so many luxuries to go around there is actually not enough of them to give to the people under them per such-and-such period of time.  Also, if enough of the money is controlled by few enough people they can simply control how much wealth gets distributed to classes lower than them.

This was not an evil design or anything, it is just that for the last several hundred years, that is how our economy works.  It worked before because the wealth was more evenly distrobuted and we had fewer people, and it has worked for us up to and including now, but it is becoming more and more obvious that the rich have too much power and there isnt enough to go around for the rest.

Basically a few select lines of people started first, they've been accumulating wealth and they are now in control.  This was caused simply by them starting first.  Our economy didn't screw up, it was designed in an unsustainable way in the first place.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 08:16:29 AM »
enacting all the laws that we have which favor big business like: insurance companies and bankers.that hasn't helped the middle class very much.
favoring the rich has killed the middle class.
Misunderstood.

Eamonn

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 08:31:10 AM »
About the time they started chucking long estabilished peaceful indians off of their fertile land and allowing pig-ignorant fat gas-guzzling war-mongering childish celebrity obsessed morons like catkiller and calendale not only exist but allow them access to the internet when in any other less backwards society their weak genes would have been flushed out long before they even came into existence.

The_P

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 08:31:57 AM »
About the time they started chucking long estabilished peaceful indians off of their fertile land and allowing pig-ignorant fat gas-guzzling war-mongering childish celebrity obsessed morons like catkiller and calendale not only exist but allow them access to the internet when in any other less backwards society their weak genes would have been flushed out long before they even came into existence.

:laugh: +

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 08:39:24 AM »
Why is there a sense that america screwed up in the first place?  The idea that we were a thriving hero for the entire world, a shining example of how a society should be run has always been just an idea we came up with or were fed to by allies symapthetic to our way of life or interested in our preference. 

What specifically are you(peter) suggesting we have lost or started doing wrong, that we weren't doing before?

My point was that the US used to be at the forefront of scientific advancement and attracted the finest minds in the world, but seems to be increasingly slipping into anti-intellectualism and superstition, or at least to be falling behind the rest of the developed world, and has become the laughing stock of the developed world on issues like creationism.  America used to be the place to be if you were a top-end scientist, but now it's the place where your research will be ignored if it's politically inconvenient and where you'll be treated like a terrorist if you work on certain sensitive areas.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 08:50:41 AM »

Well they started chucking "peaceful" native americans off their land LONG before cars and the internet were invented.   Those weak genes sure did quite a bit in 200 years of being a nation.   Where are you from?   I bet your nation is still England's bitch.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Eamonn

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 08:56:33 AM »

Well they started chucking "peaceful" native americans off their land LONG before cars and the internet were invented.   Those weak genes sure did quite a bit in 200 years of being a nation.   Where are you from?   I bet your nation is still England's bitch.

Really, i thought the lone ranger invented the internet in the early frontier days after deciding he was too ugly to be seen without a mask and decided to talk about how fabolous an individual he was over the net? I was born and bread in Scotland and yes we are still in a Union with England due to weak politicians. I'm second-generation Irish though and they stopped being Englands bitch in the early part of the last century.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 09:07:04 AM »
Really, i thought the lone ranger invented the internet in the early frontier days after deciding he was too ugly to be seen without a mask and decided to talk about how fabolous an individual he was over the net? I was born and bread in Scotland and yes we are still in a Union with England due to weak politicians. I'm second-generation Irish though and they stopped being Englands bitch in the early part of the last century.

The internet is mostly an American invention.

50% Irish, my dad is full blooded Irish actually.   Mother is English (direct relative to the only Revolutionary War soldier buried in FL), Polish, and German. 

Union with England is a nice way of putting it.   At least Canadians can make decisions without asking Britian if it is ok since the 1980s. 

Eamonn

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 09:13:56 AM »

The internet is mostly an American invention.

50% Irish, my dad is full blooded Irish actually.   Mother is English (direct relative to the only Revolutionary War soldier buried in FL), Polish, and German. 

Union with England is a nice way of putting it.   At least Canadians can make decisions without asking Britian if it is ok since the 1980s. 

With an elected SNP government we could see a referendum on independance within the next few years. Doesnt Israel call the shots with the US?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 09:42:38 AM »
With an elected SNP government we could see a referendum on independance within the next few years. Doesnt Israel call the shots with the US?

No, but the only reason Israel exists is due to Britian allowing it to happen.   That land was actually controlled by the Brits, they moved the Jews back into Israel.   The US is an ally with Israel only because it seems we are afraid of them being overtaken by Islamic nations.   Maybe they just want to still be able to make a trip to see where Jesus lived.   I really don't care either way what happens to Israel.   It is just land afterall and the temple of Solomon is no longer there, hence the wailing wall.