Educational

Author Topic: Where did the US screw up?  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
Re: Where did the US screw up?
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2007, 11:48:11 AM »
It is one of the world powers when you take into account the size of its military and the GDP. 

GDP = consumption + investment + (government spending) + (exports − imports)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29_per_capita (9th per capita, much larger total population than those above it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29 (#1 overall total GDP)

this site does a good job at showing military strength:   http://www.globalfirepower.com/

here is a way to do country comparison:  http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries_comparison.asp

The US has the largest navy in the world that isn't being used much at this stage in the two current wars.   Where I live there is a naval base and I know several people that are in the navy (some from FFXI).   Our military is using a police warfare strategy to combat the guerrilla/terrorist warfare tactics of the insurgency.   They avoid civillian casualties, this much was evident talking to our bassist Randy before he left for Iraq.  Stray bullets will always kill though unfortunately.   

The US could tail off sometime in the near future and imo will have its time where it won't be as important as it is now globally.  The economy still is moving decently and the military isn't even being fully utilized, the war in Iraq is a total waste.   It seems instead of leaving they are going with a troop surge, which really isn't the solution imo.   Afghanistan is back to being the world's #1 opium producer now, as it was before the war started there lol.   It is looking like it will be a failed state sadly as Iraq probably will also and it might have to be partitioned.  Kind of like when Britain, France and the USA partitioned the Ottoman Empire after WW1.   Later of course Britain decided to allow creation of the nation of Israel after WW2 in 1948 (Britain was in charge of Palestine and Iraq).   France got Lebanon and Syria.   That is the main reason for the terrorist actions coming out of the Middle East supposedly.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitioning_of_the_Ottoman_Empire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Mandate_of_Mesopotamia
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2007, 12:33:19 PM »
It is one of the world powers when you take into account the size of its military and the GDP. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29_per_capita (9th per capita, much larger total population than those above it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29 (#1 overall total GDP)

this site does a good job at showing military strength:   http://www.globalfirepower.com/

here is a way to do country comparison:  http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries_comparison.asp

The US has the largest navy in the world that isn't being used much at this stage in the two current wars.   Where I live there is a naval base and I know several people that are in the navy (some from FFXI).   Our military is using a police warfare strategy to combat the guerrilla/terrorist warfare tactics of the insurgency.   They avoid civillian casualties, this much was evident talking to our bassist Randy before he left for Iraq.  Stray bullets will always kill though unfortunately.   

The US could tail off sometime in the near future and imo will have its time where it won't be as important as it is now globally.  The economy still is moving decently and the military isn't even being fully utilized, the war in Iraq is a total waste.   It seems instead of leaving they are going with a troop surge, which really isn't the solution imo.   Afghanistan is back to being the world's #1 opium producer now, as it was before the war started there lol.   It is looking like it will be a failed state sadly as Iraq probably will also and it might have to be partitioned.  Kind of like when Britain, France and the USA partitioned the Ottoman Empire after WW1.   Later of course Britain decided to allow creation of the nation of Israel after WW2 in 1948 (Britain was in charge of Palestine and Iraq).   France got Lebanon and Syria.   That is the main reason for the terrorist actions coming out of the Middle East supposedly.   

Sounds like the brainwashing is working.

Be afraid.

On a more realistic note, I find it interesting that comparitively, Australia has a higher per capita olympic medal score than the US....if we are talkiing about survival of the fittest.

And, I do believe that when the Tsunami hit and killed over a quarter of a million people on this - OUR planet, that we were the most generous of nations.  Perhaps if you guys sold off a few of your fucking man toys and people killing machines, you might figure it out.  I'm sorry, I just don't buy this over the top patriotic, chest-beating, we are a super power bullshit.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »

Be afraid.

On a more realistic note, I find it interesting that comparitively, Australia has a higher per capita olympic medal score than the US....if we are talkiing about survival of the fittest.

And, I do believe that when the Tsunami hit and killed over a quarter of a million people on this - OUR planet, that we were the most generous of nations.  Perhaps if you guys sold off a few of your fucking man toys and people killing machines, you might figure it out.  I'm sorry, I just don't buy this over the top patriotic, chest-beating, we are a super power bullshit.

lol @ the olympics, that is sports.   Yes the US is falling behind in the olympics somewhat.

Anyways, the term world power has and always referred to military and economic power.   Has nothing to do with athletics.   The US gives the most foreign aid but it is tied to products and services (aid with strings attached).   Plenty of philanthropy from the private citizens as well.   None of that has anything to do with the traditional ideal of a world power. 

There is more materialism in the US that I would agree upon, not just "man toys" and "people killing machines" though.  Yes sell them off to nations who hate us, good idea.   

The US government pledged 350 million dollars in aid to Tsunami victims, private donations to charities are up to 342 million dollars from US citizens.   US citizens give even more money philanthropically than that but it is given to churches which in turn are to be giving aid with religion attached.   That obviously bothers the world. 

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2007, 01:17:25 PM »

Be afraid.

What the hell did he say that sounded like brainwashing?
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »
She doesn't like factual information that is all.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2007, 05:30:08 PM »

Olympics, yes, laugh, it's just sports....why would you be concerned when you have the highest obesity levels in the world. 

Assumptions are assumptions, facts are facts. 

I just refuse to believe that the US is the greatest country on the earth because being a world power is a value ingrained in a high percentage of people.  Hence my comment on brainwashing. 

In regard to your comments about the generosity of Americans, American statistics on giving include corporate donations anyway.  Also, in Australia, donations to churches is not tax deductible, hence not included in our statistics...and as you say, most of the donations are to churches in your country.

I'm not going to even get into the church debate.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2007, 07:07:16 PM »

Olympics, yes, laugh, it's just sports....why would you be concerned when you have the highest obesity levels in the world. 

I just refuse to believe that the US is the greatest country on the earth because being a world power is a value ingrained in a high percentage of people.  Hence my comment on brainwashing. 

In regard to your comments about the generosity of Americans, American statistics on giving include corporate donations anyway.  Also, in Australia, donations to churches is not tax deductible, hence not included in our statistics...and as you say, most of the donations are to churches in your country.

The US is the only recognised world superpower at the minute, so in millatary terms they are the best country in the world, their millatary spend is more than the rest of the world combined. So at a brutal level they are the best. On almost everything else they are not. It all depends how you defined best country, personally I would go for most happiest, which the US is definately not!

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2007, 07:21:11 PM »

You assume I think the US is the greatest country in the world because they are a superpower.   I never said the US is benevolent or physically fit.   The US like most nations has its fair share of problems.   I am more than aware of the negative things that exist in this country, you just were saying that the US wasn't a superpower (which technically speaking it is).   

No need to go into the church debate because I am not a big fan of organized religion anyways lol.

Eamonn

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2007, 07:52:14 PM »

The US is the only recognised world superpower at the minute, so in millatary terms they are the best country in the world, their millatary spend is more than the rest of the world combined. So at a brutal level they are the best. On almost everything else they are not. It all depends how you defined best country, personally I would go for most happiest, which the US is definately not!

The US is responsible for 48 percent of world military spending. Which isnt more than the rest of the world put together. Far more than any other one country though. For quality of life and lack of poverty the nordic countries followed by the like of the Republic of Ireland are rated the best by the likes of the UN and CIA world factbook.

Nobody lives under the UN poverty level in Norway which imo is far more reason to rate a country than the likes of the US, Britain and China all who have disgracefully high levels of poverty for such rich countries who spend so much on 'defence'.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2007, 07:59:20 PM »
They were originally talking about superpower status not quality of life per capita.   Yes the US is fucked up lol.   For such a huge nation that moves so much stuff around economically and militarily, it could be worse.   Nowhere was I arguing the US is the best place to live, there is quite the variance in quality of life across the US.   Norway and Ireland are as small as some states, which themselves are pretty damn productive.   Look at California for the best example I guess economically.   

Quality of life wise the US isn't the best nation, but not really the worst to live in either.   No reason to feel sorry for us like we are a 3rd world country necessarily.   It would be impossible to not admit that this nation doesn't have its several downfalls of its own.   The average Chinese person saves more money per what they earn than the average American for example.   We spend spend spend.   The superpower argument mainly is something that proves the country is still somewhat significant.   Quality of life here isn't bad, but it could be better.

Eamonn

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »
  No reason to feel sorry for us like we are a 3rd world country necessarily. 

No, im more likely to feel sorry for myself as a poor person who lives in a country that spends lots of money on white elephants like the millenium dome and foreign wars yet cannot adequately deal with the issue of poverty.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2007, 08:13:40 PM »

No, im more likely to feel sorry for myself as a poor person who lives in a country that spends lots of money on white elephants like the millenium dome and foreign wars yet cannot adequately deal with the issue of poverty.

Ah I am not a poor person necessarily.   Our country does have its fair share and then some unfortunately.   Does your country spend all of its funds wisely?   I am sure Scotland is a perfect utopia (isn't that where you are from?).   You are more correct in feeling sorry for individuals in nations as supposed to the nation as a whole.

Eamonn

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »

Ah I am not a poor person necessarily.   Our country does have its fair share and then some unfortunately.   Does your country spend all of its funds wisely?   I am sure Scotland is a perfect utopia (isn't that where you are from?).   You are more correct in feeling sorry for individuals in nations as supposed to the nation as a whole.

I was talking about my country and myself but like Elwood says in 'the blues brothers' movie "It aint much, but it's home".

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
It's sort of ironic that a country that has such an expensive health system, unhealthy people, high levels of crime, lays off blue collar workers by importing so much from China....the list goes on....and then goes and spends so much money on defence. 

I believe there is also a fair amount of corruption in Government contracts awarded for defence projects also.  SAIC comes to mind as one example.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2007, 11:49:13 PM »
It's sort of ironic that a country that has such an expensive health system, unhealthy people, high levels of crime, lays off blue collar workers by importing so much from China....the list goes on....and then goes and spends so much money on defence. 

I believe there is also a fair amount of corruption in Government contracts awarded for defence projects also.  SAIC comes to mind as one example.

Even MORE amazing is that given all this,
it STILL seems to work. Hmm...maybe something
being done right underneath it all.