Author Topic: Where did the US screw up?  (Read 6952 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Where did the US screw up?
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2017, 01:03:49 AM »
I think looking at what people have picked out for generational patterns is food for thought, whether or not there's any direction causation.

Agreed. Even if it's 500 years of coincidence, it's still very interesting.

It's 500 years of hindsight. If you're looking for patterns, you will find them. It's how our brains work.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2017, 01:14:55 AM »
No you didn't. You provided a postmodernist, gobbledygook attempt at critical theory.

Why do you apply one set of standards to me and another to yourself?

I know what I posted, and why. You don't.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2017, 05:27:36 AM »
I think looking at what people have picked out for generational patterns is food for thought, whether or not there's any direction causation.

It's 500 years of hindsight. If you're looking for patterns, you will find them. It's how our brains work.
Isn't hindsight supposed to be 20/20? :laugh: Still not sure what that's supposed to imply. Looking for a pattern and finding one doesn't negate the pattern. Sociological theories are based in hindsight and patterns; there's not much avoiding that.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2017, 05:57:29 AM »
No you didn't. You provided a postmodernist, gobbledygook attempt at critical theory.

I disagree. (NO I am not "having a go")

Scrap has the ability to undercut himself and his premises by generalisations or looking at things a little selectively. That may be a little on him. HOWEVER, though it may mean that exceptions to his blanket claims or that things may need to be made less generalisation and more specific, these are not a denunciation of his claims.

For example, Him saying that it does not require a majority of society to change the society and culture and that a large minority can do this well, such as the well established SJWs in Media, Academia, and Hollywood or the handful of Nazis that took over Germany.

Now to say "There were not a handful of Nazis because there were 2 million is deliberately missing the thrust of what is a good argument to haggle over a redundant claim (which I also disagree with). He does not care to haggle over minutiae and that one point does not negate his argument nor does it mean his points on the matter are stupid. As with most of his claims of this nature, he is broad right or broadly the topic is worth considering irrespective of whether he disclaims every exception and anomaly and whether he is specific or not.

Scrap is smart. Not sure how he stacks up here but he is not the dumbest and no one here is particularly dumb.

I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2017, 06:54:42 AM »
http://peterlevine.ws/?p=8143
Took me a little hunting around to be totally sure he wasn't the same guys as this guy:  https://somaticexperiencing.com/category/about-peter/

(also, another site with text in raleway!)
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »

If you're schizophrenic. If you're not, you've got a better chance of discerning a valid pattern from a wishful one.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »

Isn't hindsight supposed to be 20/20? :laugh: Still not sure what that's supposed to imply. Looking for a pattern and finding one doesn't negate the pattern. Sociological theories are based in hindsight and patterns; there's not much avoiding that.

To put it slightly differently: there are about five or six thousand visible stars in the night sky. Connecting a few of them to form suitable patterns was not a difficult task for our ancestors and there were still many left. This is pretty much the same. You find patterns because you are looking for them. Hindsight is indeed 20/20.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2017, 02:16:20 PM »

I disagree. (NO I am not "having a go")

Scrap has the ability to undercut himself and his premises by generalisations or looking at things a little selectively. That may be a little on him. HOWEVER, though it may mean that exceptions to his blanket claims or that things may need to be made less generalisation and more specific, these are not a denunciation of his claims.

For example, Him saying that it does not require a majority of society to change the society and culture and that a large minority can do this well, such as the well established SJWs in Media, Academia, and Hollywood or the handful of Nazis that took over Germany.

Now to say "There were not a handful of Nazis because there were 2 million is deliberately missing the thrust of what is a good argument to haggle over a redundant claim (which I also disagree with). He does not care to haggle over minutiae and that one point does not negate his argument nor does it mean his points on the matter are stupid. As with most of his claims of this nature, he is broad right or broadly the topic is worth considering irrespective of whether he disclaims every exception and anomaly and whether he is specific or not.

Scrap is smart. Not sure how he stacks up here but he is not the dumbest and no one here is particularly dumb.

"A handful of Nazis" is a rubbish argument because the premise is misleading: two million is not a handful, regardless of how you see it, and those were just the registered members. In 1933, the party got around 40% of the votes (I don't remember the numbers more precisely and can't be arsed to look them up), so they had plenty of supporters. You don't have to be registered to be a Nazi, you only have to vote for them.

But it's also misleading because the sentiment of the suggestion is that a significant portion of the German were somehow actively opposed to them (as in "not Nazis while aware of the situation") and that's just not true.

So no; you may think that Scrap is smart but I disagree. He is a lot of hot air, a lot of internet wisdom, but very little actual insight.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2017, 02:19:54 PM »

If you're schizophrenic. If you're not, you've got a better chance of discerning a valid pattern from a wishful one.

Oh yes, but our pattern matching capabilities are significant, regardless. I don't know if it is a hardware feature or just the OS, but it's how our brains get by. It's how we can ignore a hole in our field of vision, just to pick one example.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2017, 06:10:46 PM »

To put it slightly differently: there are about five or six thousand visible stars in the night sky. Connecting a few of them to form suitable patterns was not a difficult task for our ancestors and there were still many left. This is pretty much the same. You find patterns because you are looking for them. Hindsight is indeed 20/20.
Still not sure what you're trying to say. Sociology is crap? Probably on some level, sure.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2017, 08:48:05 PM »
From bondage to spiritual faith;
 from spiritual faith to great courage;
 from courage to liberty;
 from liberty to abundance;
 from abundance to selfishness;
 from selfishness to apathy;
 from apathy to dependence;
 from dependency back again into bondage."

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2017, 05:06:42 AM »

Still not sure what you're trying to say. Sociology is crap? Probably on some level, sure.

I'm saying that most theories like this one probably are.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2017, 06:57:32 PM »

I'm saying that most theories like this one probably are.

Didn't even know there's other theories like this one. Is there something about it that strikes as incorrect?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2017, 03:32:52 AM »
Beyond the 500-year hindsight, you mean?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2017, 08:14:20 AM »
Beyond the 500-year hindsight, you mean?
Yes. 500 years of hindsight doesn't make it incorrect or invalidate anything about it. Hindsight is not a critique of the theory, but rather sociological theory in general because the past is all anyone can study. Help me out here. This is the only conversation this place has going for it right now.