Educational

Author Topic: Where did the US screw up?  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Where did the US screw up?
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2017, 07:04:34 PM »
You aren't setting the bar very high are you, fur-face? :P

I don't know. You seem to be agreeing with something Pyraxis doesn't even seem to be saying, so worry about your own bar.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2017, 01:22:02 AM »
Me, I guess I regard the whole thing as little more than a modern, pseudo-science version of Nostradamus with a fair degree of hindsight and self-fulfillment thrown in. Patterns are everywhere. It's in our nature to spot them. Correlation does not equal causation, though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:23:35 AM by odeon »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2017, 02:54:16 AM »
Me, I guess I regard the whole thing as little more than a modern, pseudo-science version of Nostradamus with a fair degree of hindsight and self-fulfillment thrown in. Patterns are everywhere. It's in our nature to spot them. Correlation does not equal causation, though.

Yet another evidence free claim.

Given your propensity to attack ideas without evidence, while not offering any ideas of you own, I have to reiterate that you obviously masturbate to Derrida and Foucault.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2017, 03:00:40 AM »
The critiques he applies to it are kind of short-sighted, though.
Didn't even view it as a critique. The article seemed to say, here's an explanation of the theory, someone should test the theory, someone other than the author should test it though, but here's an article about an idea of how to test it.

Exactly, However I don't agree with the standards that they use there.

It doesn't take a majority of a personality type to influence society.

Look at the SJW's, there's not a whole lot of them but they exist in the most influential sectors of society: Mainstream media, Hollywood, the recording industry, online news outlets and in most major universities.

in the 1930's only a handful of Germans were Nazis....

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2017, 03:35:04 AM »
The critiques he applies to it are kind of short-sighted, though.
Didn't even view it as a critique. The article seemed to say, here's an explanation of the theory, someone should test the theory, someone other than the author should test it though, but here's an article about an idea of how to test it.

Look at the SJW's, there's not a whole lot of them but they exist in the most influential sectors of society: Mainstream media, Hollywood, the recording industry, online news outlets and in most major universities.

I mostly agree. I do not think there is only a handful. In comparative terms there is enough of them to leverage society in a pretty horrific way. I think one of the craziest thing is that people wanting to avoid the ire of SJWs will pander to them and don't just say after every demand "No, Go fuck yourself" over and over.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »
I think looking at what people have picked out for generational patterns is food for thought, whether or not there's any direction causation.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »

Given your propensity to attack ideas without evidence, while not offering any ideas of you own, I have to reiterate that you obviously masturbate to Derrida and Foucault.

I provided an opinion. What you've done, otoh, is little more than providing a Wikipedia link. And follow up with things like this:

Is this what you call evidence? Not only is it mostly opinion, what isn't is wrong:

This is where you supply your excuses and pitiful attempts at an explanation. :yawn:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »

I provided an opinion. What you've done, otoh, is little more than providing a Wikipedia link. And follow up with things like this:

Is this what you call evidence? Not only is it mostly opinion, what isn't is wrong:

This is where you supply your excuses and pitiful attempts at an explanation. :yawn:

To be fair,  what Scrap says is a little overgeneralised but it seems a reasonable theory. I also agree that it does not take a majority to elicit change, and sometimes that change is terribly harmful for society.

People have great propensity for self-sacrifice and battling adversity but also for greed and self-interest. When things are hard there is little energy to put into victimology and plubing deep philosophical questions. When things are free and life is good, social parasites will breed.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »

I provided an opinion.

No you didn't. You provided a postmodernist, gobbledygook attempt at critical theory.

In 1933, the German population was at 65,362,115. Nazi Party membership was at slightly over 2 million which means that just 3% of the population were actual Nazis.

Fuck, are you this stupid??

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »
I think looking at what people have picked out for generational patterns is food for thought, whether or not there's any direction causation.

Agreed. Even if it's 500 years of coincidence, it's still very interesting.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2017, 05:18:08 PM »

Didn't think the test idea was terrible, because it starts with a sampling of people who are 'notable', which probably also means influential. The 80% agreement wasn't a standard for the results, but rather a standard for 80% of the coders to agree what is the best archetype to assign to a person in the sampling.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »
pseudo-science
Sociological theory kind of is what it is.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »

Didn't think the test idea was terrible, because it starts with a sampling of people who are 'notable', which probably also means influential. The 80% agreement wasn't a standard for the results, but rather a standard for 80% of the coders to agree what is the best archetype to assign to a person in the sampling.

Yeah, Notable doesn't necessary translate into Influential, I think you'd have to limit the study to those who were known to be influential for their times.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »

Yeah, Notable doesn't necessary translate into Influential, I think you'd have to limit the study to those who were known to be influential for their times.
Took a closer look at The American National Biography and it's for historical figures, so it's probably a good resource to find a good random sampling of influential people who are representative of their era, and spanning across the entire time scope of the theory.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2017, 01:00:34 AM »

I provided an opinion.

No you didn't. You provided a postmodernist, gobbledygook attempt at critical theory.

In 1933, the German population was at 65,362,115. Nazi Party membership was at slightly over 2 million which means that just 3% of the population were actual Nazis.

Fuck, are you this stupid??

Two million = a handful  :hahaha:

- Albert Einstein