Author Topic: Oldest cat in the world  (Read 532 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Oldest cat in the world
« on: June 18, 2007, 08:57:21 AM »

Offline Janicka

• Concertmaster of the Aspie World Elite Orchestra
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Nicolo Paganini's Slovakian Prostitute
Re: Oldest cat in the world
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:13:46 PM »
I've been trying to get this article to load all day.  What's the deal with this fucking cat - I want to know and I can't read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :grrr:
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:18:29 PM »
The cat's so old it broke the web site.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 05:08:25 PM »
Seen it. Don't believe it.

Scrapheap

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 08:16:40 PM »
I've seen cats go to 25 yrs old, but that has to be close to the max. the average is about 10yrs.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 08:32:05 PM »
I've been trying to get this article to load all day.  What's the deal with this fucking cat - I want to know and I can't read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :grrr:

Here's what it said and this is what the picture looked like:

Baby the cat is not a baby anymore. His owners say that he was born in 1970 which would make this 37-year-old cat the oldest cat in the world. Baby will be featured in the August edition of Cat Fancy. His owners who have cared for him for all of his 37 years think that Baby will outlive them. Looking good, Baby. Don’t ever let them call you old

Then the comments were left for the picture:

pat Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 2:08 pm

how wonderful!

i would like to know what Baby eats for dinner!
# Joe Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 2:10 pm

Wow! 37?!?! He still looks great!
# Gerry Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 2:13 pm

I wish I knew what he has for dinner too. My black cat lived to be 20 and I thought that was old! How neat to have a friend that long.
# Gerry Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 2:19 pm

He looks like he is eating cheetos in the video!!!! It has to be in the genes.
# Gary Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 2:28 pm

37 years old? I find it very hard to believe that! Please don’t get me wrong, I surely hope Baby is 37 and will make 57 but that exceeds anything I’ve heard about and read in 30 years of dealing with kitties. WOW!

Til now, I thought 24 or 25 was the very max for kitties life spans but I could easily be wrong.

#  Gary Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 2:33 pm

If indeed true, I would like to know everything! what does she eat? where was she born, what were the parents like, what are the owners like, is she an indoor cat? and lots more.
# t Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 2:39 pm

I think I first read this story over a year ago, so I don’t know… I am a little skeptical.
# 3FURS Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 2:51 pm

I know a woman who found a stray kitten 27yrs. ago. She was an outdoor cat until she was about 5 or 6, when a dog came into her yard and killed her other cat. She’s been indoors since. And right now she eats Fancy Feast fish varities. She’s a bit stiff, but still cleans herself and never misses her litter pan, which now is an old cookie sheet.
# Gary Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 3:03 pm

I just did a very quick Google and found this. Gotta go shopping now.

http://www.messybeast.com/longevity.htm

So, I guess it’s possible, I hope so.
# Trudy Jackson Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 3:10 pm

WOW. Bless His wonderful heart. I wonder what He eats? And congrats on having a cat that long. I didn’t say [old]. haha

#  Trudy Jackson Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 3:12 pm

Gary, i met that sphinx at a cat show and the owner was wonderful. so was the cat. They did a whole write up when He died.
# Lisa Clay Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 3:16 pm

I think we ALL want to know what he is eating! We know what he is NOT eating!

Whatever he does eat, he would be a great advertisement for that food.

We should all be so lucky our pets live that long!
# JustME Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 3:31 pm

I came across this while looking up cat records.

Microchip Implant Brings Cat Home (after 10 years)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories.....5344.shtml
# Krista Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 3:31 pm

Beautiful cat! Wow!!! such a wonderful life and still going !!

Like others I would LOVE to know what he is eating!!! Hope we can find out.
# Gary Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 4:27 pm

Yep, Ted left when he was a youngster and returned as an oldster, but he was lucky. I had a couple cats run away in the early 1980’s and wonder to this day what ever happened to them.

#  Mikken Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 5:23 pm

The real question is “why aren’t all of our cats living that long”?

Poor diet, overvaccination, chemical-laden environment - all play roles (along with genetics, of course).

I do hope to see more and more cats making into their 20’s and 30’s in the near future…
# Cynthia Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 5:31 pm

I will have to ask Cat Fancy if they can find out what they feed him.

I once had an outdoor cat in the 50’s that lived 26 years. She never was vaccinated.
# Cathy Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 5:55 pm

And they’ll probably say he eats grocery store crap food. lol
# mittens Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 6:08 pm

i bet he gets wet food. my vet opined that it was one of the reasons my cats were all living through 20 years-which is not apparently the average. over 30 is extraordinary.

but genetics are a crap shoot. in humans, longevity is linked to a gene called the ‘methusula gene’. i had a great grandfather that chained smoked his entire adult life, had no unusual eating routines and lived to be over 90. i look like i’m in my early 20s and i am over 40 and i can definitely tell you it was most certainly NOT due to good clean living.

this cat is probably eating twinkies, over indulging in cat nip and staying up all night chasing the ladies….

#  High Note Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 8:16 pm

I would like to know what baby ate all of her life too! It sure could not be from menu foods. wonder if she eats dry or fresh. sure would be great to know!
# DMS Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 10:43 pm

Last year I lost my 24 year old, Cassie. Her mother, Kitty, a calico, died at 23 or so(she was an adopted stray near a year when I found her–or she found me!), 2 years before. I thought they were old, but this is wonderful. My secret had been feeding them a heaping tablespoon of canned salmon, human-grade, along with their food each day the last 10 years of their lives. It really turned Kitty around, who had seemed to be seriously ailing at 13 or so. Now, with all of the contaminants, I’m not sure. It would have to be wild. My two dogs also love salmon.
# Eva Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Wonder not only about the food, but how often has this cat been vaccinated, and fo what. Also has she been mediacted for HeartWorms and what about flea preparations such as Advantage etc.

Wow. What an inspiring story :)
My own crew of 3 get only raw food, no vaccines, but I go hW meds, and occasional flea prep.

I’m sure longevity is also very much influenced by genetics.

Eva
http://www.healingpetloss.com/PETLOSS.html

#  Sue Says:
June 15th, 2007 at 11:44 pm

Well D%$#
My twenty year old puss has survived a severely rough start in life and then survived (very well thank you) as a short term victim (yes, specific victim of the food) of the recent pet food recall.

If I could find Purina Proplan hairball treats right now she might make it to her version of the cat in this post. Unfortunately, they are currently not available, and I can guess why.

In any case, here is to a long and productive life, however long that is. Please get those OTC meds back online ASAP. Thanks

Go baby!!
# Lisa Clay Says:
June 16th, 2007 at 12:08 am

My cat Sneakers lived a long time. We got her when I was 4 (1966) and she made it until I was 23 (in 1985). She had 2 litters of kittens and was spayed. She went to the vet ONCE after that for a cold. She was born a barn cat and back in the 60’s, we were able to let our cats outside so her diet consisted of cat food (both canned and dry) and then small prey. She ate birds, mice, moles, chipmunks, and once (it was awful) a baby rabbit. She had great street sense and never crossed when cars were coming.

Eventually I convinced my parents to keep the cats indoors, but back in the 60’s and 70’s, it was a lot different.
# Sandy Says:
June 16th, 2007 at 2:18 am

WOW thats cool and what a pretty cat

#  Purina Puke Says:
June 16th, 2007 at 2:57 am

3FURS I hope your friend is watchful if her cat is eating Fancy Feast. A lot of people said it made ther cats sick. Hope the kitty has some more years left.
# Bridget Says:
June 16th, 2007 at 6:02 am

I read in a vet’s office that the oldest cat on record was an English kitty who lived to be 32; that was in the late ’80s.

I also read, since doing all this research, that according to a lady who had a blog and represented Life’s Abundance food, that cats *should* live to their 30s. I pray I’m doing enough for my furbabies that that’s true!
# Jen Says:
June 16th, 2007 at 11:13 am

I wonder what they are feeding him!!

I knew our pets were supposed to live longer than the 10-15 years that the vets tell you (down here at least)!

That is amazing!!!!!
# joyce dennis Says:
June 16th, 2007 at 10:30 pm

I have several cats and kittens who are the loves of my life. The oldest mine have lived is 16 years old. Some were vacinated, and some were not. Feline Lukemia has been devastating to my kitties. Some few have even survived that.

#  pam Says:
June 17th, 2007 at 1:06 am

when i was younger, my rascal lived to 21 years - 6 months and i thought that was great. but 37? that’s a gift from god!
# henry Says:
June 17th, 2007 at 6:15 am

i betcha diet doesn’t figure big into this … if this works the way it often seems to work in especially long-lived people, Baby probably has a key to the liquor cabinet and throws cocktail parties during the day for her kitty friends.
# Rollo Jenkins Says:
June 17th, 2007 at 10:43 am

My cat, Mr. Pippenwood Bluntington is 38 years old!
# chad Says:
June 17th, 2007 at 11:43 am

I call BS.
# emmieru Says:
June 17th, 2007 at 1:14 pm

wow uhhhh and wow

#  Noadi Says:
June 17th, 2007 at 1:56 pm

I had a Maine Coon that was at least 17 when he died. I say at least because he was a stray and the best the vet could tell us was he was at least 2 years old when we got him. He was an outdoor cat, we tried our best to keep him inside but since he had been a stray for at least 6 months before we got him (that was how long he was living under the building across the street form my grandparents house) he was determined to get out and hunt. He went a little deaf I think in his later years and I think that’s why he was hit by the car even being such an experienced cat when it came to the road. I wonder sometimes how long he would have lived if the car hadn’t hit him. He was one tough cat, he survived numerous fights with other cats (neutering him seemed to have no impact on his wanting to fight) and a couple encounters with foxes including one that led to a serious infection from the bites.
# BMMMMMMMMMM Says:
June 17th, 2007 at 3:01 pm

OH HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
# MissMuffitt Says:
June 18th, 2007 at 6:51 am

I have a beautiful cat who is nearly 15. When we moved to another state she disappeared for 3 months and I thought she was dead somewhere… Then one day she turned up again, very thin, but still alive. That was 5 years ago and she is still going strong.

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »
I've seen cats go to 25 yrs old, but that has to be close to the max. the average is about 10yrs.

Every cat I've ever had lived well into its teens.  The oldest I ever had died at 20.  I think that whether or not they are indoor cats has a lot to do with lifespan.  Mine are mostly indoor, but they have a cat door to be able to go out.  One cat refusese to use cat litter, so they have to have outdoor access at all times.
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Offline wildthing121675

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 11:56:27 PM »
Maybe so, my sister has a cat she has had since 1989, and the thing is still alive in 2007.  It always has been an indoor cat.

WildThing121675

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 04:36:38 AM »
I have a pet Chinchilla that I got when I was a freshman in highschool......I'll have had him for 20 years this September.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 08:05:04 AM »
I have a pet rock that I got in the mid 70's,
and it's still the same, AFAIK.

Offline greendragon

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 10:53:14 AM »
My cat is going to be 18 yrs old and is doing great :)
I only feed her teh best cat food and fresh spring water no tap water. 
...Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 11:09:35 AM »
My cat just turned 12 four days ago.

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 11:15:21 AM »
My cat just turned 12 four days ago.

Happy Birthday, kitty  :cat: :cake: :birthday:

I have no idea when my cats' birthdays are.  Or dogs' for that matter.  I know roughly how old they are.  My oldest cat, Percy, is a second-hand cat that was abandoned in my friend's neighborhood.  I have no idea how old he is - the vet thought he was about 4 or 5 in 1997, so that makes him about 14 or 15 now.  He's extremely feisty and has a lot of life left in him. 

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »
Gosh thanks.  :plus:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 11:27:31 AM »
My cat's about five now.  I hope he lives a loooong time.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.