Author Topic: Another US shooting..  (Read 13534 times)

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Another US shooting..
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2007, 09:04:09 AM »
So, would you classify this under terrorism?  I guess not since he isn't muslim.

Who are you talking to?
Anyone in general.  I remember the guy who ran over people at UNC with an SUV was labeled a terrorist.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »
I don't consider this one a terrorist. Maybe someone does, but I don't.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2007, 10:23:15 AM »
News flash people .........

Cho Seung-Hui, was deemed by a court to be a danger to himself and others. He was ordered to seek psychiatric help.

According to Federal law, he shouldn't've been able to but the guns that he did. Virginia athorities dropped the ball and didn't put his court orders into the computer database.

Under current law, he should'nt have those guns.

There are always gun dealers selling illegally. It's not that unusual that gun dealers sell ammo here in Sweden without checking the license, though a license is needed to get ammo as well. There was one gun dealer in southern Sweden who provided half of the country's criminals with illegally imported guns. Sadly I didn't know about this guy before he was caught.  ;)

Scrapheap

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2007, 01:29:08 PM »
There are always gun dealers selling illegally. It's not that unusual that gun dealers sell ammo here in Sweden without checking the license, though a license is needed to get ammo as well. There was one gun dealer in southern Sweden who provided half of the country's criminals with illegally imported guns. Sadly I didn't know about this guy before he was caught.  ;)

Yes, but this wasn't a case of the gun dealer selling him a gun illegaly. The guy who sold him the guns did the Federaly required computer back-ground check. Cho Seung-Hui passed the background check because Virginia athorities didn't send his court record into the correct data-base. If this had been done, he would've come up as mentaly unstable and would've been denied.

Litigious

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2007, 01:34:40 PM »
You don't have background checks in all states, if I'm not mistaken. There are a few states that are exempted from that law. In one way, I find that right, except in cases like this.

Scrapheap

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2007, 01:43:51 PM »
You don't have background checks in all states, if I'm not mistaken. There are a few states that are exempted from that law. In one way, I find that right, except in cases like this.

Actually, all states have a background check. It's a Federal requirement. Some states have waiting periods and others don't. Virginia and other states have an instant computer background check that takes a couple of minutes. The only exemtion to this is firearms on the BATF's "Curio and Relic" list. I bought a Mauser broomhandle pistol that way.

Litigious

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2007, 01:46:36 PM »
I have kind of a snowball or domino theory: Once you start having any kind of gun control, you'll end up with gun laws of the kind we have in Europe.

Scrapheap

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »
I have kind of a snowball or domino theory: Once you start having any kind of gun control, you'll end up with gun laws of the kind we have in Europe.

Yep !! Half the guns I bought in the Marines (Here in California no less!!) are now illegal under current state law. Luckilly I didn't register them, because then the state would know I had them !!!

Litigious

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »
We have compulsory gun registers since 1934 or so.  :( But it pisses me off that shotguns were unlicensed in Norway until 1990. I was 19 at that time and could have taken a trip and just bought one, but I didn't know that at that time.  :(

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2007, 03:06:57 PM »
Aren't there more and more cases confirmed every year?

Yes. Why?

If your point is that there is an autism "epidemic", then no, there probably isn't one.

My point is that the changing nature of our environment (and probably not 'fridges)
is possibly a contributory factor, both in the genetics itself (via reduced sexual selection
against the traits) as well as in the expression of these traits in the phenotype. Given
that Asperger's, in particular, is judged only by a spectrum relating to the phenotype,
it would seem likely that environmental factors have a significant effect upon the
prevalence.

Offline In The spaGhetto

• minimalist
  • Constant Poster
  • I don't get people. What's their appeal precisely?
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2007, 03:13:29 PM »
I think guns should be banned for NTs but free for aspies.

I'm sort of holding my breath hoping that nobody says the shooter was an Aspie.  The news media keeps calling him a loner.

Sorry if this disturbs anyone, but I'm getting the feeling more and more with everything i read about this that he may well have been an undiagnosed aspie unfortunately.

Apart from all the loner stuff, the fact that he seems to have felt totally alone in the world, that he was obviously bullied, obsessiveness, reports he had poor social skills, he had speech problems as a child

His grandfather said Cho was "well-behaved" as a child in South Korea, but troubled his parents because of speech problems.
The great aunt of killer gunman Cho Seung-Hui says she feared he was autistic.
http://www.reuters.com/news/video/videoStory?videoId=49202

and on the video his voice sounds monotonous like Napoleon dynamite's.

Although i went on about gun laws i don't think that's the real problem here. I'm speculating but i think the real problem was that he was allowed to slip through the net without being diagnosed, without getting the psychiatric attention he obviously should have had - not just for other's safety but for his own mental health. I think if he'd got more help he wouldn't have done what he did.

I know most people don't like to talk about things like that and just want to say "he was just fucked up - just pure evil" but i just don't ever see things like that. I don't really think there's such a thing as "evil"

I really hope this isn't going to mean other aspie types are going to get a harder time if people see similarities to this guy
I glide through the social whirl with all the elegance of a dog in high heels.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2007, 04:14:34 PM »
It's funny you should say that about him being possibly AS - I read the same opinion in response to a Salon article
about him today and my heart sank

http://letters.salon.com/news/feature/2007/04/17/shooter/view/index1.html?show=all  (11th letter down)

I feel sorry for him, obviously for the victims too but he was evidently having problems coping with life and just villainising people like this just perpetuates the problem as nobody bothers to understand the mindset of these people and it just keeps happening

I loved the way they were so concerned that the 'coolest' girl in the school got shot first - so f-ing what?!

So it's better to kill the nerds cos no one will miss them or something?!

That whole attitude typifes to me why this type of thing happens in the first place!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 04:29:16 PM by esme456 »

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2007, 04:35:45 PM »
So, would you classify this under terrorism?  I guess not since he isn't muslim.

No, he was not a terrorist.  However, terrorists do not have to be muslim.  It's sad that that isn't obvious to everyone, but it's obvious that it isn't.  :/
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2007, 04:37:47 PM »
Does that mean that Muslims have to be terrorists? I like to put things into nested classes, and since there is obviously an overlap between the two sets, which should I make the subset?

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2007, 04:43:46 PM »
Well what was Timothy McVeigh then?

Not a Muslim, just a typical American?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 04:47:05 PM by esme456 »