Educational

Author Topic: Another US shooting..  (Read 13261 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: Another US shooting..
« Reply #270 on: November 13, 2017, 03:24:18 AM »
I wouldn't have thought so
Have to wonder how it comes across sometimes though, discussing American things with people from other countries.

I would like to think that we all have at least a rudimentary understanding of other countries, people and culture.  :)
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #271 on: November 13, 2017, 04:12:19 AM »
Have to wonder how it comes across sometimes though, discussing American things with people from other countries.

Do you think that works both ways?
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #272 on: November 13, 2017, 04:29:58 AM »

Do you think?  :P
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #273 on: November 13, 2017, 05:09:51 PM »

It was my mistake I guess.  I should have stopped at that point and explained the post so it wouldn't cause confusion.

Personally I thought it was clear what I was doing but in future I'll post some sort of subscript so we can avoid this situation.

You could tag it with [sarcasm] [/sarcasm]  :orly: But yeah, sarcasm often has a tone of voice and that doesn't come through over the internet, so it probably causes confusion with the normals too and even more likely someplace like this, so it's probably likely at least one person will misunderstand. I recognize your sarcasm but you're sarcastic often enough that if I'm really not sure then I'll just assume you're being sarcastic, and that could cause misunderstandings too. Or you could just take it all for what it is. Either way you'll probably still have to explain yourself occasionally around here.  :dunno:

:gopher:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2017, 05:46:14 PM »

Not sure; can't really speak for you. Didn't understand your getting upset at Pyraxis. You both came across as snarky, for the mere sake of snark. My writing style can be forceful, so that creates a potential for my opinion to be presentedd in the form of fact. It also creates the potential to send an underlying message of, you're wrong, you're bad, you're stupid, when it's not intended. It's important for my presentation to be forceful, but also important to not be offensive. Discussing American society with people from other countries sometimes feels like discussing the bible, because I wonder if people are assuming things I'm not really saying. If they are assuming, then hopefully it's not too offensive. :laugh:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #275 on: November 14, 2017, 03:14:07 AM »

It was my mistake I guess.  I should have stopped at that point and explained the post so it wouldn't cause confusion.

Personally I thought it was clear what I was doing but in future I'll post some sort of subscript so we can avoid this situation.

You could tag it with [sarcasm] [/sarcasm]  :orly: But yeah, sarcasm often has a tone of voice and that doesn't come through over the internet, so it probably causes confusion with the normals too and even more likely someplace like this, so it's probably likely at least one person will misunderstand. I recognize your sarcasm but you're sarcastic often enough that if I'm really not sure then I'll just assume you're being sarcastic, and that could cause misunderstandings too. Or you could just take it all for what it is. Either way you'll probably still have to explain yourself occasionally around here.  :dunno:

Sometimes I'm sarcastic, but sometimes I aim a little higher.  And sometimes lower.   But mostly I'm making fun of the entire human race.  They're a bunch of petty, silly bastards and deserve to be laughed at.  Haven't you met the humans? 

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #276 on: November 14, 2017, 03:16:45 AM »
Not sure; can't really speak for you. Didn't understand your getting upset at Pyraxis. You both came across as snarky, for the mere sake of snark. My writing style can be forceful, so that creates a potential for my opinion to be presentedd in the form of fact. It also creates the potential to send an underlying message of, you're wrong, you're bad, you're stupid, when it's not intended. It's important for my presentation to be forceful, but also important to not be offensive. Discussing American society with people from other countries sometimes feels like discussing the bible, because I wonder if people are assuming things I'm not really saying. If they are assuming, then hopefully it's not too offensive. :laugh:

I did get snarky.  The toxic atmosphere on this board got to me.  I owe pyraxis an apology I guess.  I have changed the situation by no longer reading posts by certain people.  It's not like I'm losing anything intellectual from my life, and my mood is better now.  What this board needs is a block list feature.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #277 on: November 14, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »
An argument against what? Against the NHS? I surely wouldn't argue against the NHS,  just complain that it's broken . It worked pretty damned well for a while... until the Pharmaceutical Industry  managed to  drain  far too much of it's  too much of it's budget into their pockets ,  the Govt started privatising it, piece by piece, etc.   I know that your "mental Health "  comment was a joke , but in actual , sad, fact,  that was the first dept to seriously suffer, and still the most underfunded of the lot :( .

Why the heck are we discussing the NHS in this thread anyways?

I substituted the words "Mental health" for the word "gun" in a post.  I was taking the implicit value system of the opposing argument and turning it back round to parody that very same belief system.  But Pyraxis kind of zoomed in on the term "mental health" and went off on a giant tangent.

a big :plus: for this and subsequent posts.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #278 on: November 14, 2017, 05:41:54 AM »

I did get snarky.  The toxic atmosphere on this board got to me.  I owe pyraxis an apology I guess.  I have changed the situation by no longer reading posts by certain people.  It's not like I'm losing anything intellectual from my life, and my mood is better now.  What this board needs is a block list feature.

Or, you know, be an adult and decide what and who you are going to read. Either or I suppose. Self-control may be the better option.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #279 on: November 14, 2017, 05:43:18 AM »

Sometimes I'm sarcastic, but sometimes I aim a little higher.  And sometimes lower.   But mostly I'm making fun of the entire human race.  They're a bunch of petty, silly bastards and deserve to be laughed at.  Haven't you met the humans?

Sure have. I laughed at you the other day.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #280 on: November 14, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »

All my bitches are wild animals.  :zoinks: Seriously though, you should put that in your signature or something. All this time I thought you only cared about making fun of Americans.  :lol1:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #281 on: November 14, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »

All my bitches are wild animals.  :zoinks: Seriously though, you should put that in your signature or something. All this time I thought you only cared about making fun of Americans.  :lol1:

Truth be told I'm an... Americanophile?  Doesn't sound right, that word.  Is there really no word in English for someone who likes Americans??  Go figure.... 

I actually get on with Americans.  I am the only British member of a twelve person team at work.  The other 11 people are Americans.  My job is based out of Pittsburgh.  I was there last in the run up to the election in 2016.  One of my favourite places is Manhattan.

Singly and in small groups Americans are the greatest people on earth.  It's just that collectively you make some really questionable decisions that not only invite mocking, they deserve mocking. 

And I reserve the right to mock, satirise and just plum laugh at them.

Although.... in this topic I am making fun of the false-logic being used by certain subsections of the US gun debate.  It makes me laugh. And I like to share that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:22:14 AM by FourAceDeal »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #282 on: November 14, 2017, 11:09:16 AM »

Nah, you're cool. I didn't take it too seriously and it's fun to let things rip on on occasion.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »

Nah, you're cool. I didn't take it too seriously and it's fun to let things rip on on occasion.

He is cool. When I think of cool, I think of Four Ace and Fonzy, or something

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2017, 06:48:17 PM »
Truth be told I'm an... Americanophile?

If you had been a member of this forum longer, you'd probably know I would have bet money on that.  :lol1: