Educational

Author Topic: Another US shooting..  (Read 13365 times)

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Another US shooting..
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2017, 10:53:38 AM »
Just to knock another Republican lie into the blue yonder....

If you don't want to use the NHS you don't have to. You can also have private health insurance just like in the US.  Except it's better cover and a fraction of the price.  Or you can even go private without insurance and just pay for your treatment just like in the US, except everything is much much cheaper.

But mostly we go NHS because it's free.

You do sometimes have to wait for non-emergency treatment, but let's face it, it's not going to bankrupt you.

UK bankruptcies a year due to medical bills?  Zero.
US bankruptcies a year due to medical bills?  Over 600,000 I believe.

Compare things like infant mortality rates and other health indicators.  The NHS pulls it's weight.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
But I digress.

But thank you for veering away from the thread topic just to get an insult in about someones country.  Do you usually feel this insecure?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »
I blame my insecurities on closed circuit video surveillance.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2017, 10:29:33 PM »
Yes.  It is.  It's only bad in the land of Republicans, who are being paid large amounts of money by large medical insurance companies to continue to lie to you. 

Okay, #1 I'm not in the USA and don't have a stake in defending their system. So whatever political position you're projecting onto me, quit it. My comment was meant in commiseration with people having trouble with the system, not to prove a point.

#2, what I'm going by is what Walkie has told me about how bad things are, she's been in the thick of dealing with them for years now.

I have brief experience with them myself from working in the UK for six months. Months-long delays seem to be the norm, similar to Canada or possibly worse. But you can't argue with the cost. Also when I did get in to see a GP, they just looked up my symptoms in a big book of diagnoses to figure out what medications to prescribe. A trained chimp could have done that, or I could have done it myself with Dr. Google, if I had the authority to prescribe myself stuff.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »
Okay, #1 I'm not in the USA

It doesn't matter. He's right. Insulting someone else's country is clearly a sign of insecurity. :hahaha:  I admire FourAceDeal being so secure he doesn't need to do that. :zoinks:

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #245 on: November 10, 2017, 06:21:57 AM »
Yes.  It is.  It's only bad in the land of Republicans, who are being paid large amounts of money by large medical insurance companies to continue to lie to you. 

Okay, #1 I'm not in the USA and don't have a stake in defending their system. So whatever political position you're projecting onto me, quit it. My comment was meant in commiseration with people having trouble with the system, not to prove a point.

#2, what I'm going by is what Walkie has told me about how bad things are, she's been in the thick of dealing with them for years now.

I have brief experience with them myself from working in the UK for six months. Months-long delays seem to be the norm, similar to Canada or possibly worse. But you can't argue with the cost. Also when I did get in to see a GP, they just looked up my symptoms in a big book of diagnoses to figure out what medications to prescribe. A trained chimp could have done that, or I could have done it myself with Dr. Google, if I had the authority to prescribe myself stuff.
Gotta back Pyraxis up here. Not in in the mood to go into the issues that I and my family have had with the NHS over a period of years and years and years.  Besides,   I thought everybody knew that the NHS is very much struggling to cope by now?  Heck, even  Tory politicians know that.

Besides which, the NHS is not free. It's  paid for by our  National Insurance contibutions and taxes, isn't it?  It's pretty damned scandalous, IMO,   that so many people, who are paying already for their "free NHS treartment" under our tax system, have to take out private medical insurance on top of that, to be sure of getting necessary treatment (that does not include me, mind, because I can't afford medical; insurance, and have too many pre-existing conditions anyway to, qualify for any kind of useful cover . What's more, my generation were brought up to think of people who buy private medical treatment as selfish "queue jumpers" . So, probably most of missed that boat, on principle)

I'm glad that somebody had a good experience of the NHS, but please don't project that onto everybody else. Other people do have very good reasons for complaining. And to dismiss their experience amnd POV just because you're comparatively lucky is...well... smug and offensive, seems to me.

I've often been told by American's that their system actually works better than ours does, in many ways, e3ven for the poor.  Yep, I was surptised, and more than a little sceptical about that.  But it seems to be down to charities stepping in to fill the void in State care. Here, we don't have those charities. We still expect the State to provide, even when it doesn't.  I dunno. But I've heard this said rather too many times, by too many intelligent people to lightly dismiss it

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2017, 06:27:29 AM »
Okay, #1 I'm not in the USA

It doesn't matter. He's right. Insulting someone else's country is clearly a sign of insecurity. :hahaha:  I admire FourAceDeal being so secure he doesn't need to do that. :zoinks:
Hehe.

Ohhhhhhh! The gopher is back!   :party:

Wb, furry one !
:hug:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #247 on: November 10, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »
Another shooting in the US? I'm shocked, I tell you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2017, 04:46:21 PM »

Don't worry if you missed that one. Another will be along shortly.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #249 on: November 10, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
Welcome back.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #250 on: November 10, 2017, 05:57:28 PM »

Ohhhhhhh! The gopher is back!   :party:

Wb, furry one !
:hug:

Thank you.   :green:  I'm still trying to figure out why I smell like frog.  :zoinks:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #251 on: November 10, 2017, 06:33:07 PM »

He has nothing to counter this and made a lot of baseless assumptions. He has an ideology and all narratives that flow from this are righteous. Could not imagine being like that.

Generally speaking the more ideological a position the less intellectual the position. Or from a different perspective, the more ideological a person the more ignorant, soapbox preaching, virtue signalling, and ridiculous they are.

I think this was a really great reply though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:47:02 PM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #252 on: November 11, 2017, 02:25:58 AM »
Welcome back.

Thanks. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #253 on: November 11, 2017, 02:26:30 AM »

Don't worry if you missed that one. Another will be along shortly.

I hear prayers help.

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #254 on: November 11, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »

Gotta back Pyraxis up here. Not in in the mood to go into the issues that I and my family have had with the NHS over a period of years and years and years.  Besides,   I thought everybody knew that the NHS is very much struggling to cope by now?  Heck, even  Tory politicians know that.

Besides which, the NHS is not free. It's  paid for by our  National Insurance contibutions and taxes, isn't it?  It's pretty damned scandalous, IMO,   that so many people, who are paying already for their "free NHS treartment" under our tax system, have to take out private medical insurance on top of that, to be sure of getting necessary treatment (that does not include me, mind, because I can't afford medical; insurance, and have too many pre-existing conditions anyway to, qualify for any kind of useful cover . What's more, my generation were brought up to think of people who buy private medical treatment as selfish "queue jumpers" . So, probably most of missed that boat, on principle)

I'm glad that somebody had a good experience of the NHS, but please don't project that onto everybody else. Other people do have very good reasons for complaining. And to dismiss their experience amnd POV just because you're comparatively lucky is...well... smug and offensive, seems to me.

I've often been told by American's that their system actually works better than ours does, in many ways, e3ven for the poor.  Yep, I was surptised, and more than a little sceptical about that.  But it seems to be down to charities stepping in to fill the void in State care. Here, we don't have those charities. We still expect the State to provide, even when it doesn't.  I dunno. But I've heard this said rather too many times, by too many intelligent people to lightly dismiss it

So the million dollar question.  Would you rather have no NHS and have to rely on either private insurance or charities?