Author Topic: Another US shooting..  (Read 13209 times)

Scrapheap

Re: Another US shooting..
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2007, 12:50:11 AM »
If "W" had actually managed to accomplish something with the massive government power grab that was the Patriot act, I might be a little less pissed at him.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2007, 01:10:30 AM »
People think deeply about their voting choices.  They research all the options and choose the best one.  At least that has been my experience.

Yes, but as South Park pointed out, most elections are between a Turd Sandwich and a Giant Douche.

That is often an excellent point.  In those cases, the choice might come down to the lesser of two evils.  I was not thrilled with Kerry/Edwards in the last Presidential election, but I thought them less likely to erode ordinary people's civil rights the way I thought W had done and would continue to do.  He just used the 9-11 tragedy as an excuse to do even more of what he already was inclined to do when he was elected.

So why do Americans always end up with such shit choices to think deeply about voting for?  Surely, out of a population of several hundred million, George W. Bush and John Kerry weren't the most able people for the job.  What's the point in democracy if it always boils down to an elite minority providing the public with two similarly awful candidates to vote for?  And when's the public going to realise they're being taken for a ride and stop perpetuating the two-party system?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Scrapheap

« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »
People think deeply about their voting choices.  They research all the options and choose the best one.  At least that has been my experience.

Yes, but as South Park pointed out, most elections are between a Turd Sandwich and a Giant Douche.

That is often an excellent point.  In those cases, the choice might come down to the lesser of two evils.  I was not thrilled with Kerry/Edwards in the last Presidential election, but I thought them less likely to erode ordinary people's civil rights the way I thought W had done and would continue to do.  He just used the 9-11 tragedy as an excuse to do even more of what he already was inclined to do when he was elected.

So why do Americans always end up with such shit choices to think deeply about voting for?  Surely, out of a population of several hundred million, George W. Bush and John Kerry weren't the most able people for the job.  What's the point in democracy if it always boils down to an elite minority providing the public with two similarly awful candidates to vote for?  And when's the public going to realise they're being taken for a ride and stop perpetuating the two-party system?

This isn't unique to a two party system. You have your fair share of shit politicians in Britian. Any system can get corrupted.

Scrapheap

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #184 on: April 29, 2007, 04:44:09 AM »
Does anyone actually think about their voting choices?  Or do they just robotically vote for whoever their peers voted for?

I have no peers. Unfortunately, in the US, one  is discouraged
from voting for the person that they really want, unless it is one
of the frontrunners.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2007, 06:34:57 AM »
i missed the end of that stupid douche/turdsandwich ep cuz Paramount had a fuckin seizure. >:( i wonder if it's on youtube.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline In The spaGhetto

• minimalist
  • Constant Poster
  • I don't get people. What's their appeal precisely?
« Reply #186 on: April 29, 2007, 07:21:08 AM »
i missed the end of that stupid douche/turdsandwich ep cuz Paramount had a fuckin seizure. >:( i wonder if it's on youtube.

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/2/157

under "douche and turd" on season 8 ;)
I glide through the social whirl with all the elegance of a dog in high heels.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2007, 07:59:57 AM »
dude! you gotta be kidding me! :yikes:

"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »
... and a Millennial was the triggerman.   ::)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #189 on: July 17, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »
This article is in today's Times-Picayune newspaper.  It may be upsetting to some, just letting you know. 

HOUSTON -- Doctors didn't expect Nick Tullier to survive after a gunman shot him in the head, stomach and shoulder during an ambush that killed three other law enforcement officers last summer in Baton Rouge.

A year later, the 42-year-old sheriff's deputy is still defying the odds and the grim prognosis issued after the July 17 attack (photos).

Tullier's doctors initially feared he would die within hours. Later, they warned his family that brain damage could leave him in a vegetative state for the rest of his life. After months in a Baton Rouge hospital, Tullier was conscious when he was transferred in November to a Houston rehabilitation hospital, but his arms and legs appeared to be paralyzed.

Today, the father of two sons can nod his head to answer questions with a yes or no. Grueling physical therapy has helped restore some movement in his limbs. He can smile and even laugh. And he recently spoke his first word since the shooting, an utterance that sounded like "hello."

"He's got a very, very long road ahead of him, but he hasn't given up," said his father, James. "He's going to fight."

James Tullier posts daily Facebook updates on his son's condition from TIRR Memorial Hermann hospital, where he and Nick's mother, Mary, and fiancee, Danielle McNicoll, take turns watching over him. They moved here with him from Baton Rouge and will stay here as long as he does.

"Wherever Nick is at, that's where our home is," his father said. "Nick is our world right now."

On the Sunday morning of the shooting, Tullier was working the day shift for the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office. Less than two weeks had passed since a white Baton Rouge police officer shot and killed Alton Sterling, a 37-year-old black man. Racial tensions in the city were still simmering.

Tullier and another deputy were eating breakfast when they heard a radio call about an armed man near a convenience store about a mile away. Gavin Long, a 29-year-old black military veteran from Kansas City, Missouri, had already fatally wounded two Baton Rouge police officers and a sheriff's deputy by the time Tullier and Sgt. Bruce Simmons arrived, according to a district attorney's report.

Once on the scene, Tullier checked on an empty rental car, unaware it was the gunman's. He was walking back to his patrol vehicle when Long shot him in the stomach from nearby woods. Long shot him twice more after he climbed into his vehicle.

The gunman also wounded Simmons before tactical officers showed up and killed the attacker, who left behind a note calling his actions a "necessary evil" so he could inflict "destruction" on police officers.

When Tullier came to Houston eight months ago, his legs were frozen in an extended position. His arms were locked into his chest, his fingers curled up tight.

The therapy is painful. At the start of one recent session, occupational therapist Ashley Broadwater asked him, "You ready to work today?"

McNicoll, who often assists during the therapy, crouched behind him and held his forehead as he pushed a table toward Broadwater.

"Think about working those arms. Push it out as far as you can," the therapist said.

McNicoll tapped her fiance's arms to encourage him as she and Broadwater counted to 10.

Later in the session, Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" blared over a cassette recorder as he slowly moved his left hand to push a red button that started and stopped the music.

McNicoll said her fiance has come a long way. It used to take a couple of people to hold him upright on a mat or at the edge of a bed.

"And now some days, for the most part, he can hold himself up," she said.

McNicoll sometimes sees a look in his eyes that suggests he wants to say something. He tries to mouth words, but can't vocalize them. His doctors have not ruled out the possibility that, someday, speaking could be his primary form of communication again.

Dr. Sunil Kothari, one of the doctors at the Houston hospital, said Tullier's cognitive abilities have "outstripped" his physical abilities.

"There's more that he wants to do, knows in some sense how to do, and just can't execute because of his neuromuscular and other impairments," he said.

Walking without assistance also remains a possibility down the line, his doctor said.

Since the shooting, Tullier has had more than 15 surgeries, including one this week. In a Facebook post late Wednesday, James Tulllier said his son had surgery on his abdomen and a surgeon was "pleased with the results." However, Nick had a seizure after the surgery and was in severe pain, his father wrote.

James Tullier said the family used to talk to doctors outside his hospital room. Now they discuss his son's care in his presence.

"He wants to know, and he wants to be involved in decisions," he said.

Tullier's father declined to discuss the shooting. Attorneys recently filed a federal lawsuit on his son's behalf against Black Lives Matter and several leaders of the movement. The suit accuses the activists of inciting violence that led to Long's deadly attack.

The shooting was not the only tragedy for Tullier's family last summer. Homes belonging to James Tullier and his other two sons were wrecked by catastrophic flooding from an August storm that dumped as much as 2 feet of rain on parts of southeast Louisiana.

James Tullier's oldest son is nearly finished rebuilding, but his middle son is far from done. James and Mary Tullier are still at odds with their insurance company.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:24:42 AM by Queen Victoria »
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2017, 10:18:46 AM »
You need more guns to be safe.  You don't have enough guns.

All the evidence clearly shows that the more guns you have in a society, the safer you are.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »

All the evidence clearly shows that the more guns you have in a society, the safer you are.

:lol1:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #192 on: July 30, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure the evidence shows we just need more rich people.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #193 on: July 31, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »

More guns in the hands of the right people, yes.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #194 on: July 31, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »
Think fouracedeal is wrong in your quote, scrap. Without any context, he shows idiotic ignorance there, imo. Trump-US-styley, I'd say.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.