Author Topic: how many here are non drivers/? why do americans  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: how many here are non drivers/? why do americans
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 03:00:08 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a scooter
that sounds like a great idea. i bet there easy to drive

Can't be much harder than a bicycle, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper to run than a car.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 03:39:38 PM »

Can't be much harder than a bicycle, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper to run than a car.

Well, it'll be allot easier than a motorcycle.
You won't have to worry about a clutch and gears, and i assume it'll have a much more forgiving throttle response.
Also keep in mind the steering characteristics will change as speed increases.

If you can handle a bicycle, all you'll need to learn is throttle control and it's steering characteristic at speed.
What sort of speeds will you be traveling at on the scooter?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 03:49:20 PM »

Well, it'll be allot easier than a motorcycle.
You won't have to worry about a clutch and gears, and i assume it'll have a much more forgiving throttle response.
Also keep in mind the steering characteristics will change as speed increases.

If you can handle a bicycle, all you'll need to learn is throttle control and it's steering characteristic at speed.
What sort of speeds will you be traveling at on the scooter?

Scooters are rated for 45mph, but I'd probably be doing mostly 20-30 around here, with a little at 40 now and then.  I get up to 30 on my bike going down a hill.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 06:13:59 PM »
I learnt how to drive at 15.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 06:33:46 PM »
The newest Volvo sports cars can do that ...

I know things have changed, but this still sounds like an oxymoron, to me.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »

I don't own one, but I have been on several scooters. It's a little like a bicycle, but the weight distribution is quite a bit different. They are usually more back-tire heavy, which makes them feel less stable than an English racer, for instance. The only other thing I notice is that their brakes suck. They are very easy to ride, though.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Teejay

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 07:05:58 PM »
Still getting around to getting my drivers license, the lessons cost a lot of cash. I would have had it last year if did not make one mistake. I will go for another go when I get my student scholarship next month.

I would like to have a car of my own, however the cost of buying even a rustbucket is like $1000, after various costs.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 07:09:33 PM by Omega Male »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 09:23:03 PM »
I took a driver's education course in school and I got my driver's license when I was 16.  I got a 100% on the written test and I passed the driving test, the first time I took it.  I know I had points off the driving test because the light changed to red while I was in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left and I froze until the examiner told me to go.

Offline rocketturtle

• mysterious mantra
  • Frequent Poster
  • displaced space
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 11:36:49 PM »
i can drive an automatic car only. i have my driver's license and i passed my written exam with 100% twice. i did the written exam twice because there is a six month expiry on the learner's permit and i forgot about it the first time so it expired. i had to write the test again to get a new learner's permit. i also passed the driving exam the first time i took the road test. i only got 5 demerits and that was for accidentally shifting the automatic car into reverse instead of drive but my foot was on the break the whole time, i just shifted the wrong way. i got my license when i was 18, on the first tuesday in september 1996 because i figured since i was starting university i should probably get some photo identification. i like driving but only if there is very little traffic. i don't trust other drivers. i can't drive a standard. i tried and i practiced for a year. i can steer the car and pay attention to the road very well. i can start and shift the car using the clutch very well. i just can't do both at the same time; for some reason i don't have the physical coordination to steer the car and shift the gears at the same time. when i shift, i look at the shifting stick and i can't steer. when i steer, i can't find the shifting stick without looking for it, also i'm busy concentrating on steering so i forget to use the clutch. i don't own a car and i don't have any intention of owning one but i keep my license current.
i like stuff

Litigious

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 04:11:01 AM »

Volvo made a few sports cars back already back in the 1960s. Never heard of the P1800 and P1900 series?

What about this one?

Litigious

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 04:23:49 AM »
European police cars usually make 260 kmph/160mph, so the manufacturers usually limit the speed of the cars electronically, mostly for familiy cars, to 250 kmph/155mph. It's not illegal to make cars going faster, though, and you can change the chip in the engine if you have the skills, or make a mechanic do it for you. But the Germans and Austrians are the only Europeans allowed to drive as fast as they want, and not on all parts of the autobahn. It's cool, though, that they still have such a right.  8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 04:27:34 AM by Litigious »

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 06:03:49 AM »
Got licensce at 16.  Can only drive automatic.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Litigious

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 09:21:25 AM »
When I was young, you couldn't start taking driving lessons before 17 years and 9 months, and you couldn't get a license before you were 18. Now it's legal to start taking driving lessons at 16 but you still have to be 18 before you get the license. The only good thing with that is that you can get a long time practice and that you can get your license immediately after your 18th birthday. And since last year, you need to go a special course to be a private teacher for a friend or relative. Before that, you just had to be over the age of 24 and have had a license for at least 6 years yourself, which usually would coincide.

There is one good thing, though: unless you commit a serious traffic crime or a felon, a car license (class "B" in Sweden) is for life. No health controls are necessary to keep it. You will usually have it revoked if exceeding 30kmph/20mph, but you will automatically get a new one just by paying your ticket and sending in a newly taken photo of yourself to the Road Department.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 09:22:02 AM »

Volvo made a few sports cars back already back in the 1960s. Never heard of the P1800 and P1900 series?

What about this one?

When I think of a sports car, I think of fast, but quick is more important to me, as with most American youngsters, due to our car-crazy lifestyle. I'm familiar with the P1800, (quite!) since it sports one of my all time favorite body lines. (I always wanted to drop a hemi in the backseat of one of those station wagons.) I even road in one once, but my buddy's mom's box stock six cylinder Mustang would walk all over it in every acceleration contest and corner well, too. Actually I think the Mustang six cylinder cars handled better than the V8s, because of an almost two hundred pound weight difference, up front.

Those old 1800s and 1900s were, cool, but the modern one looks too much like a Volvo to be a sports car. It's just a visual thing. I really don't know anything about the C90, except that it looks expensive and that it is plenty sporty enough to collect tail.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 02:31:22 PM »
It's a good-looking car but that image is photoshopped. There's no such thing as a Volvo C90, and there are no prototypes of one either.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein