Educational

Author Topic: how many here are non drivers/? why do americans  (Read 2200 times)

richard

how many here are non drivers/? why do americans
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:51:15 AM »
i cant drive at all. :laugh:
why cant i drive?

say whilst and arse if they dont live in europe somewhere?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 10:59:33 AM by richard »

purposefulinsanity

Re: how many here are non drivers/? why do americans
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:29:20 AM »
I can't drive- the thought of being in control of a car whilst I don't know what I'm doing (as I would be at the start of lessons) freaks me out.

Isn't 'whilst' a word in the US too? What would you use instead?  ???

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:45:14 AM »
I can drive, but I don't have a licence.  I failed my test 3 times for being too cautious; since I'm not too great at judging speed and distance, I take my time at junctions, and I also have problems with my concentration while driving, and I tend to forget that I'm meant to be watching for the lights changing and things like that.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Litigious

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 11:49:06 AM »
I can't drive- the thought of being in control of a car whilst I don't know what I'm doing (as I would be at the start of lessons) freaks me out.

Isn't 'whilst' a word in the US too? What would you use instead?  ???

I think they use "while" for "whilst".

I have been able to drive since I was 13, and I got my license at 18, as early as you can get a car license here.

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:27:59 PM »
Have no license, but drove a car in a beach parkinglot.  Never bothered with the test, too many issues.  I have acess to a car, two of them!
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Litigious

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:34:36 PM »
As far as I've understood, those aspies having problems with taking a driver's license usually have additional diagnosis as ADD/ADHD. I managed the driving test the second time and the theoretical test the first time, but I'm only dxd with AS.

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:36:21 PM »
Emotional issues... and yes they did give me a dx of ADHD.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Litigious

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:41:41 PM »
Did they suggest anything but Abilify for you, like Ritalin, Concerta or Adderall? Those are central stimulants that might help, I say might, because it's very individual if ADHD persons are helped by central stimulants and even the kind of central stimulant.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 01:23:43 PM »
i drive.
couldn't imagine living without it.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 01:42:36 PM »
i drive.
couldn't imagine living without it.

If I didn't live with someone who could drive I'd have probably have been motivated to over-come that fear by now- I know I'm going to have to learn before Dunc goes back to work full-time if only so that the kids can stay at their decent school.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 01:44:24 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a scooter, so that I have a bit more mobility.  The tests for that are a lot easier to pass, I think.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Scrapheap

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 01:59:27 PM »
I drive ... @ 170 MPH !!!  :evillaugh:

Litigious

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 02:15:29 PM »
The newest Volvo sports cars can do that if you change that chip we talked about. They're pretty expensive, though. There are only a few motorways in Sweden where you can drive that fast, if you're not an extremely good driver. We should have some more autobahns since we're members of this fucking EU. Swedish roads suck, except E6, E4 and small parts of other European roads.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 02:45:09 PM »
I didn't get a license until just a couple of years ago. Before that, the only time I drove on the roads (I did do some off road crap - chasing sheep and all) was when drunk - and my friends didn't trust themselves (funny I trust myself more when drinking - in a lot of things). I was making some big life changes, and it seemed necessary. Now, I don't anymore. I guess I'm backsliding, but I'm really not safe on the roads anyhow.

richard

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 02:54:14 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a scooter
that sounds like a great idea. i bet there easy to drive