Educational

Author Topic: Wrong Planet has gone from bad to worse.  (Read 8472 times)

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
Re: Wrong Planet has gone from bad to worse.
« Reply #225 on: April 22, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »
Windows 95, 20gb hard drive....and it really flew when I upgraded to that 56K modem and installed the zip drive. :autism:

Flatbed scanner the size of my microwave that took 10 minutes to scan a postcard...and a printer the size of a kitchen cabinet...not to mention that 125lb monitor that made my desk sag in the center.

Fun times.

Not.

I think I beat you (apart from the scanner), my first computer had Windows 95 (which I copied onto 32 floppy disks), a 1GB HDD, and 8MB RAM upgraded to 16MB. It was cute cos it was a laptop, and I loved it. I was thrilled with it. The soundcard was in an external CD-ROM drive.

I bought it from a friend for £20 in 2001.

There was a family computer with MS-DOS 5 before that, I don't remember the specs.
:dog:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2017, 12:19:21 PM »
I think I first used a computer in the late 1970s, a Commodore Pet with 7k memory, no hard drive and a tape station. About then, there was a company called Microsoft that did a version of Basic, but they had yet to acquire DOS from IBM (I think it was IBM, anyway).
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2017, 01:51:35 PM »
I think I first used a computer in the late 1970s, a Commodore Pet with 7k memory, no hard drive and a tape station. About then, there was a company called Microsoft that did a version of Basic, but they had yet to acquire DOS from IBM (I think it was IBM, anyway).

You win.
:dog:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »
  Also felt virtuous because I never logged on before 8 a.m. on a weekday or 10 a.m.
  on a weekend on account of the screeching dialup noises that could be heard throught the building.  :laugh:

I felt pretty clever when I figured out how to turn those noises off.

Not that I'll ever need to, but how does one do that?  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »

It is like any other pain. To be less bothered by the current pain, you just need a newer pain.

:zombiefuck:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2017, 01:39:10 AM »

You win.

:woohoo:

It feels good to be old. Not.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2017, 01:40:15 AM »

It is like any other pain. To be less bothered by the current pain, you just need a newer pain.

QFT

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2017, 07:49:28 AM »

That's how it seems to work for me in my middle years!  :laugh:

People forget.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »

I had a Commodore 64...tape drive that I upgraded to a big floppy drive that you had to adjust every other month...and a state of the art dot matrix printer.

I remember typing in code for 3 hrs just to play a game of tic tac toe.

I remember working all summer and saving for it...thinking I had something cool...then my girlfriends husband sold his soul and bought her a Packard Hell a week after I got it.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2017, 12:00:53 AM »
Ah, yes, the Commodore 64. I wanted one but couldn't afford it. Bought an Amiga 500 later.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2017, 12:34:44 AM »
Kayleigh now has an Alienware computer. It's tiny.

Mine was too heavy :( some USB ports were a bit worn out.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2017, 05:04:18 PM »
I remember when my parents had a Windows 3.1. It barely had sound and computer programs ran very slow on it until my Dad got a Windows 95 and programs ran a lot faster on it and there was music in the games. I am not sure what type of computer my dad had when I was a baby and a little girl before getting a Windows 3.1 and it was Gateway 2000. Then the next computer we got was Windows XP.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2017, 11:45:12 PM »
  My first computer (acquired at age 40!) was a used old clunker, dunno if it was Windows 95
  or something even older.  It ran on dialup, and I couldn't watch videos on it, which now seems
  surreal.  I once tried to  download a short video, maybe 10 inutes long ... I left the computer on
  for hours trying to get the damn thing downloaded, and it still wasn't anywhere near done.
  Absolutely primitive and unacceptable!  Yet I kept having it repaired locally whenever it
  crashed.  What was I thinking?!  I'll never be without videos again!   :smash:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:47:11 PM by "couldbecousin" »

People forget.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2017, 09:13:16 PM »
  My first computer (acquired at age 40!) was a used old clunker, dunno if it was Windows 95
  or something even older.  It ran on dialup, and I couldn't watch videos on it, which now seems
  surreal.  I once tried to  download a short video, maybe 10 inutes long ... I left the computer on
  for hours trying to get the damn thing downloaded, and it still wasn't anywhere near done.
  Absolutely primitive and unacceptable!  Yet I kept having it repaired locally whenever it
  crashed.  What was I thinking?!  I'll never be without videos again!   :smash:

Most of my family's computers were used before we had them... after that we stuck with refurbished or somewhat new (last year's model).

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2017, 03:11:32 AM »
I beat all of you!

I first used a computer around 1975-76 , running some simple number crunching programs on a mainframe in Honeywell Birmingham (England) , online via a terminal at a local college. This was exciting high-tech state-of-the art stuff, back then .  Computers were the size of houses, and they had no Operating System but rather human Operators who fed in cards, changed discs and pushed buttons. The hard disks looked like frisbees, and a bit later I  heard of a bunch of Computer Operators acually playing frisbee with a disk...then crashing a whole days wotk, because the flying disk hit the "Run" button.

A short while after the Honeywll experience, I went out with a guy who was doing a BSc at the local Uni, and he let me use his computer ID number   I got myself a texbook on Fortan IV, wrote some programs and sat in the card-punching room, punching my own cards with a little hole-punching machine, to be fed into the Uni's own mainframe computer.   My idea of fun *chuckle* .   My boyfriend got really  pissed off, because I qhickly  became much better at programming than he was.

Not long after that,  word was buzzing about  s new Operating System called "George" that was going to make human operators redundant.   

And then, how long after? personal computers were invented and Windows came along.  But the early PCs did little more than crunch numbers . Once again I larked around on them, at my local college, couldn't afford one of my own.

And they still didn't run videos!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:26:38 AM by Walkie »