Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249779 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #17070 on: February 23, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »
We have a land line and I have a cell phone (acquired when Princess Royal was in school for emergencies).  We at one time had 3 cell phones, but Prince Albert never turned his on and the Princess Royal never could find hers, so cell phones aren't really that great of a solution for us.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #17071 on: February 23, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »

That's pretty damned good. I'm sure we'll get there, eventually, but right now it pays to have the landline.

Well, you know, rich, fat Americans and all that shit.

I was actually late to come to the table. I only did this entire "lose the land line"  thing about a year and a half ago.  I had to learn how much better it all is to reject the typical phoning style, slowly. I had my cell thingy, a good bit ago, but to learn about GPS tracking of every cell phone in the land, etc,  came with some degree of maturity.

I am still getting used to this "connected world"  we live in.  It is going to be awesome, some day.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17072 on: February 23, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
We have two landlines and five cell phones in the house. A couple are for the business though
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17073 on: February 23, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
We have a land line and I have a cell phone (acquired when Princess Royal was in school for emergencies).  We at one time had 3 cell phones, but Prince Albert never turned his on and the Princess Royal never could find hers, so cell phones aren't really that great of a solution for us.

One thing that I have bitched about to our carrier, is that they cannot serve us with a cheap disposable phone that I can give my kids when they are away from home. If I want my kids connected to us, then they have to carry a phone that, either is part of our "plan"  or that we can buy cheap, but expires it after a month.

This one thing is a major issue. I have to buy a cheap assed phone AND a cell card, to send away when the kids are out or allow them to take one of our fancy phones with them.

Either way, we would not even be thinking in this way, if we were still tied to a single mainland line.  The simple fact that we are able to send the kids away with a disposable phone in their possession that they can use to call home (and we care very little if they lose it) if they need to, means just that much more personal security and so much less worry.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17074 on: February 23, 2011, 06:10:58 PM »
Had to go to the toilet

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17075 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »

One thing that I have bitched about to our carrier, is that they cannot serve us with a cheap disposable phone that I can give my kids when they are away from home. If I want my kids connected to us, then they have to carry a phone that, either is part of our "plan"  or that we can buy cheap, but expires it after a month.

This one thing is a major issue. I have to buy a cheap assed phone AND a cell card, to send away when the kids are out or allow them to take one of our fancy phones with them.

Either way, we would not even be thinking in this way, if we were still tied to a single mainland line.  The simple fact that we are able to send the kids away with a disposable phone in their possession that they can use to call home (and we care very little if they lose it) if they need to, means just that much more personal security and so much less worry.

We tried cell phones with service plans, but found they weren't worth it.  We also tried "pay as you go" and settled on that.  I have the only cell phone because I'm out of the house most and buy 400 minutes that automatically doubles to 800 plus 100 bonus minutes for about $135 and it's good for a year.  A little pricy, but essential with the medical issues of my family and my dearest friend's daughter (I'm the emergency back up), older car and  hurricane  evacuations. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17076 on: February 24, 2011, 02:10:41 AM »

That's pretty damned good. I'm sure we'll get there, eventually, but right now it pays to have the landline.

A much simpler explanation is that you have a big enough population to warrant the necessary infrastructure and therefore got there before a smaller country like us.

I was actually late to come to the table. I only did this entire "lose the land line"  thing about a year and a half ago.  I had to learn how much better it all is to reject the typical phoning style, slowly. I had my cell thingy, a good bit ago, but to learn about GPS tracking of every cell phone in the land, etc,  came with some degree of maturity.

I am still getting used to this "connected world"  we live in.  It is going to be awesome, some day.

I think so too, but in the mean time, I simply love gadgets. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17077 on: February 24, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »

A much simpler explanation is that you have a big enough population to warrant the necessary infrastructure and therefore got there before a smaller country like us.

You are exactly correct, of course.  

I was playing upon the Soph-style sarcasm she spat out for a while.

Just for parallel interest, my favorite cell phone (and the only mini laptop I have ever owned) are/is Finnish.

I think so too, but in the mean time, I simply love gadgets. :)

Gadgets Rock!!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17078 on: February 24, 2011, 04:56:45 PM »
I think I did an AS Thing. :asthing:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #17079 on: February 25, 2011, 01:39:08 AM »
I think I did an AS Thing. :asthing:

Good for you! You've come to the right place!  :asthing: :asthing: :asthing:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17080 on: February 25, 2011, 03:45:16 AM »
But I don't like to do AS Things.

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #17081 on: February 25, 2011, 03:53:34 AM »

But why not? They can be funny!    :happydance:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17082 on: February 25, 2011, 05:32:27 AM »

Nor do I.

... but I still do one or two or several dozen, everyday.

:asthing:

I think that CBC is just saying that you are among "friendlies."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:34:03 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17083 on: February 25, 2011, 05:35:02 AM »

on another note:

I wonder why those timeouts keep happening on this site.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17084 on: February 25, 2011, 05:52:57 AM »
Antibiotic woes :thumbdn:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw