Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 251203 times)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #11610 on: March 08, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
I've been wondering if I could make a time-release system for melatonin, since I often feel it wearing off after a few hours of trying to get to sleep, and the time-release pills are much more expensive than the instant-release ones.  I saw a bottle of 60 x 10mg melatonin pills on sale for £5.99, and maybe if I emptied out the contents, mixed it with some honey, injected the mixture into jumbo rasins and swallowed them whole, it would slowly leach out and be absorbed into my blood stream over the course of the night.

Ask Callaway.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11611 on: March 08, 2010, 08:55:46 AM »
Just don't poison yourself
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11612 on: March 08, 2010, 11:22:39 AM »
I've been wondering if I could make a time-release system for melatonin, since I often feel it wearing off after a few hours of trying to get to sleep, and the time-release pills are much more expensive than the instant-release ones.  I saw a bottle of 60 x 10mg melatonin pills on sale for £5.99, and maybe if I emptied out the contents, mixed it with some honey, injected the mixture into jumbo rasins and swallowed them whole, it would slowly leach out and be absorbed into my blood stream over the course of the night.

Ask Callaway.

She has experience with doping items of food?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11613 on: March 08, 2010, 11:52:15 AM »

Ask Callaway.

Aaah, not that I know of....but she's studied chemistry / physics.

Seriously though, she may have an idea....personally, I think you should not worry about the cost and buy the slow release capsules. Putting a normal one in a piece of food is not going to make it slow release.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11614 on: March 08, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »
Just don't poison yourself

The attraction of the 10mg pills isn't that they offer a fairly high dose per pill, but that they're much better value than pills with lower doses in terms of mg of melatonin per £.  I have a bottle of 3mg pills at the moment, and I usually split the pills into three doses of 1mg.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11615 on: March 08, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »
It's fucking freezing in my study today.  :snowman:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11616 on: March 08, 2010, 12:50:32 PM »

Ask Callaway.

Seriously though, she may have an idea....personally, I think you should not worry about the cost and buy the slow release capsules. Putting a normal one in a piece of food is not going to make it slow release.

It's not just that I want to hold onto my money; I also like to set myself challenges, like coming up with a way to make my own time-release delivery system.  

Stuffing a gelatine capsule of melatonin inside a Brussels sprout wouldn't make for a very successful time-release system, but I'm a bit more sophisticated than that.  A jumbo raisin (or sultana or whatever) has a fairly high resistance to water for a food item and takes hours to become saturated if placed in a bowl of water.  It's held together by cellulose in it's skin and flesh, which is unaffected by human digestive enzymes, and it has the right elastic consistency to partially close a track left by a hypodermic needle.  It seems to me that a dose of melatonin that was suspended in a drop of honey, syrup or other carrier medium, and injected into a jumbo raisin or other similarly qualified ingestible item, would stand a good chance of slowly diffusing out and being absorbed into the blood stream over an extended period of time.  It might take some experimentation and fine-tuning to get the desired rate of release, but the concept seems sound to me.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #11617 on: March 08, 2010, 04:27:53 PM »
Wiki has this to say about it:

There are certain considerations for the formation of sustained-release formulation:
If the active compound has a long half-life (over 6 hours), it is sustained on its own.
If the pharmacological activity of the active compound is not related to its blood levels, time releasing has no purpose.
If the absorption of the active compound involves an active transport, the development of a time-release product may be problematic.
Finally, if the active compound has a short half-life, it would require a large amount to maintain a prolonged effective dose. In this case, a broad therapeutic window is necessary to avoid toxicity; otherwise, the risk is unwarranted and another mode of administration would be recommended.

It was also mentioned that the substance "is embedded in a matrix of insoluble substance(s) (various: some acrylics, even chitin...)" or enclosed in "polymer-based tablets with a laser-drilled hole on one side and a porous membrane on the other side." Giant sultanas sound more appetising than any of those.  :laugh:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11618 on: March 08, 2010, 05:12:56 PM »

Ask Callaway.

It's not just that I want to hold onto my money; I also like to set myself challenges, like coming up with a way to make my own time-release delivery system.  

Stuffing a gelatine capsule of melatonin inside a Brussels sprout wouldn't make for a very successful time-release system, but I'm a bit more sophisticated than that.  A jumbo raisin (or sultana or whatever) has a fairly high resistance to water for a food item and takes hours to become saturated if placed in a bowl of water.  It's held together by cellulose in it's skin and flesh, which is unaffected by human digestive enzymes, and it has the right elastic consistency to partially close a track left by a hypodermic needle.  It seems to me that a dose of melatonin that was suspended in a drop of honey, syrup or other carrier medium, and injected into a jumbo raisin or other similarly qualified ingestible item, would stand a good chance of slowly diffusing out and being absorbed into the blood stream over an extended period of time.  It might take some experimentation and fine-tuning to get the desired rate of release, but the concept seems sound to me.

This just got me imagining swallowing a Brussels sprout before bedtime.  :zombiefuck:

Even if it would work, I would strongly advise against it. Pity to swallow a raisin, but at least that's not too hard to do.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11619 on: March 09, 2010, 06:28:36 AM »
Wiki has this to say about it:

There are certain considerations for the formation of sustained-release formulation:
If the active compound has a long half-life (over 6 hours), it is sustained on its own.
If the pharmacological activity of the active compound is not related to its blood levels, time releasing has no purpose.
If the absorption of the active compound involves an active transport, the development of a time-release product may be problematic.
Finally, if the active compound has a short half-life, it would require a large amount to maintain a prolonged effective dose. In this case, a broad therapeutic window is necessary to avoid toxicity; otherwise, the risk is unwarranted and another mode of administration would be recommended.

It was also mentioned that the substance "is embedded in a matrix of insoluble substance(s) (various: some acrylics, even chitin...)" or enclosed in "polymer-based tablets with a laser-drilled hole on one side and a porous membrane on the other side." Giant sultanas sound more appetising than any of those.  :laugh:

For melatonin, the half-life is short (about 45 minutes), the pharmacological activity is related to blood levels, absorption is passive and doesn't require an active transport mechanism and the theraputic window is about as large as it gets; melatonin is one of these things where you'd have to munch the pills like M&M's to reach a measurably toxic dose (somewhere upwards of 100mg/kg of bodyweight if you're a pregnant rat).

I tried injecting it into sultanas with a syringe and 0.8mm hypodermic needle, but the viscosity of the syrup was too high for the needle, and watering it down meant the viscosity was too low for it to remain in the sultana.  The capsules also have a lot of filler in them, which tended to block the needle.  Now I'm wondering about combining it with modelling plaster and forming it into pills that way.  By playing around with the plaster mix, I might get the pills to disintegrate and release the melatonin at the right rate.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #11620 on: March 09, 2010, 06:33:10 AM »
My left arm is stiff and achy...unsure whether it's tendinitis or just overworked muscles.  :-\
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11621 on: March 09, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »

Ask Callaway.

No, I don't and I would suggest just paying more for the time released pills if that's what you need.

If you are want to experiment further, I would suggest a larger bore needle or maybe even a syringe for oral liquid medicine.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11622 on: March 09, 2010, 03:15:01 PM »
bitch is gonna win court case  ::)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11623 on: March 09, 2010, 03:15:46 PM »