Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 250492 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #10725 on: November 07, 2009, 06:22:55 AM »
I got 45% on my essay and I emailed my tutor about it asking why (because I think I should have gotten a higher mark) and he didn't answer my questions so I am going to try and get the essay remarked by my unit coordinator or something.

I am not used to dealing with things like this and I have been a bit depressed over it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

P7PSP

« Reply #10726 on: November 07, 2009, 07:36:46 AM »
I got 45% on my essay and I emailed my tutor about it asking why (because I think I should have gotten a higher mark) and he didn't answer my questions so I am going to try and get the essay remarked by my unit coordinator or something.

I am not used to dealing with things like this and I have been a bit depressed over it.
That sounds way to low for what I would expect you be capable of. I hope you can get something worked out.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10727 on: November 07, 2009, 08:37:36 AM »
how do they mark things at the universities there renaeden?

obviously you wanna do as well as you are capable of, but if this is your first piece of work then don't worry - a lot of people do worse than they expect on there first ones

here the marking goes:

1st - 70+
2:1 - 60-69
2:2 - 50-59
3rd - 40-49
fail - <40

the highest i've got is 73 i think (although that's jusst from first year really as i didn't complete all my stuff for 2nd year so coulda done better )

but i mean 70 doesn't sound that high, yet if you get a 70, that's a first. so even if the marks sound low if you think of them in terms of what you'd expect to have got in a school exam , they're not necessarily as bad as they seem

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10728 on: November 07, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »
Below 50% is a Fail. The marking system goes up to 100% so yeah 45% is pretty bad. I have reread my essay and still can't see what is so wrong with it.
Tek'ma'tae

Celticgoddess

« Reply #10729 on: November 07, 2009, 08:46:56 AM »
I'm guessing your 1st is equivalent to our A. They use a letter grading system here:

First it's letter, grade point, percentage, description
A+  9      90-100  Exceptional
 A   8      80-89    Excellent
B+  7      75-79    Very Good
 B   6      70-74     Good
C+  5     65-69     Competent
 C   4     60-64     Fairly Competent
D+  3     55-59     Passing
 D   2     50-54     Marginally Passing
 E   1     (marginally below 50%) Marginally Failing
 F   0      (below 50%) Failing

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10730 on: November 07, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »
what was your essay on ?
its possible that what you wrote was actually very good but the structure of the essay and all that bollocks like footnotes and referencing wasnt right. that can take a while to get used to and you can lose a lot of marks for things like that if you're not used to essay-writing. did your tutor not give you ANY feedback or was he just evasive?

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #10731 on: November 07, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
I am one of four others that are going to win the Black Hills Workshop Gala Awards tonight.

I think others should win the Gala Award not Me.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #10732 on: November 07, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »

PM it me with a copy of the mark scheme, I probably could see what they are arguing. But as a disabled student, you are entitled for them to give you clear guidance as to what you should be doing, something which has not been done in this case.

Blasted

« Reply #10733 on: November 07, 2009, 03:48:40 PM »
My headphones are starting to break.  This is just brilliant.  I won't even be able to listen to music.

Celticgoddess

« Reply #10734 on: November 07, 2009, 04:26:26 PM »
I've got way too many lists on the go to prep for a meeting with the ex this week and I'm scouring house rentals in the 'hood. They're all too damn big. Seriously. Just a small 3 bedroom bungalow that isn't trying to gouge me in rent.

P7PSP

« Reply #10735 on: November 07, 2009, 04:33:29 PM »
I am one of four others that are going to win the Black Hills Workshop Gala Awards tonight.

I think others should win the Gala Award not Me.
Don't kick yourself, take the award. The awards committe obviously believes you qualify.  :plus:

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #10736 on: November 07, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »
My headphones are starting to break.  This is just brilliant.  I won't even be able to listen to music.
Poundshop is my usual trick - the speed I get through headphones is pretty amazing.

Blasted

« Reply #10737 on: November 07, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »
Poundshop is my usual trick - the speed I get through headphones is pretty amazing.

They have headphones in poundshops?  :o  I never knew that.  Thanks :)

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10738 on: November 08, 2009, 01:10:07 AM »
what was your essay on ?
its possible that what you wrote was actually very good but the structure of the essay and all that bollocks like footnotes and referencing wasnt right. that can take a while to get used to and you can lose a lot of marks for things like that if you're not used to essay-writing. did your tutor not give you ANY feedback or was he just evasive?
No feedback and completely evasive. Just said I can get it remarked but if I get a lower mark then that is the one I will get, not the higher one.

I do see that my conclusion is a bit shit (I sort of rushed it) but is says on my mark sheet that I didn't understand the point of the assignment. I can't see how I missed it, though.
PM it me with a copy of the mark scheme, I probably could see what they are arguing. But as a disabled student, you are entitled for them to give you clear guidance as to what you should be doing, something which has not been done in this case.
No, I am embarrassed enough as it is!
But your second sentence makes a lot of sense and I shall do something in regards to this. Thanks. :)
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10739 on: November 08, 2009, 01:16:28 AM »
no sleep would have had to get up in an hour and a half anyway
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'