Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249804 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #9840 on: September 14, 2009, 03:02:27 PM »
I bought a new DVD-RW/VHS combo thingy. I tested it and everything was fine. Then, when I had moved stuff around and properly installed it, it wouldn't even start. Completely dead.  :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9841 on: September 14, 2009, 03:32:48 PM »
Too much drama and people around the neighborhood :grrr:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9842 on: September 14, 2009, 05:28:24 PM »
just got up and went to turn the main light off and clean the floor and get my book which was on the table... and I forgot to switch the tv off at the back

can I be arsed gettingup again to go and switch it off?

flo is lay comfortably on my arm, it would be cruel :(

but i suppose i gotta save electricity for the environment and all that shizz

soph off th save the planet again then, brb  :elvis:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #9843 on: September 14, 2009, 05:34:24 PM »
No college until Wednesday. Fucking eejit bunch of bloody electricians didn't properlly wire up our class.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #9844 on: September 14, 2009, 05:46:22 PM »
Bummer about the burner, odeon; hate it when that shit happens.

As for all this save the energy to save the world shite, I think we're all being conned.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #9845 on: September 14, 2009, 07:07:12 PM »

As for all this save the energy to save the world shite, I think we're all being conned.

Unfortunately it's not just that, it just doesn't work; because since the source is still dirty and demand is constantly increasing... well do the math. All this energy saving crap is merely slowing down an accelerating upward trend at best, absolutely fuck all at worse.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:08:52 PM by Singularity »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #9846 on: September 15, 2009, 03:09:59 AM »
Here's another quick bitch: apparently our main phone carrier has been told to split its wholesale and retail into 2 networks. It was said in parliament that our system for broadband in Australia is in the bottom 50% of all nations with high-speed internet, and ranks even below the Slovak Republic. Our average cost for broadband is around $50 US, and compared to Europe and Japan, it would be considered slow indeed. Our carrier has been told to upgrade from the old copper network to fiber-optic, but even though they make profits of $1bn or more a year, they say they can't afford it without stinging the users extra. It was also said that had we gone fiber optic, the capability of 1 Tb/s would be possible (provided we also had photon chips).

And the big problem is, we are probably 12 years behind everyone else anyway because the previous govt did fuck all about anything.

TheoK

« Reply #9847 on: September 15, 2009, 03:14:22 AM »
We got broadband here in May 2006, though we live in the second largest county in Sweden by population and Sweden is one of the (if not the) most internet dense countries on Earth.  :thumbdn:

P7PSP

« Reply #9848 on: September 15, 2009, 03:40:18 AM »
We got broadband here in May 2006, though we live in the second largest county in Sweden by population and Sweden is one of the (if not the) most internet dense countries on Earth.  :thumbdn:
Malmohus?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9849 on: September 15, 2009, 03:51:02 AM »

I conserve energy because it's expensive here.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

TheoK

« Reply #9850 on: September 15, 2009, 03:55:17 AM »
Malmohus?

Malmöhus doesn't exist anymore. It was abolished in 1996. :smarty:

P7PSP

« Reply #9851 on: September 15, 2009, 04:07:17 AM »
Malmohus?

Malmöhus doesn't exist anymore. It was abolished in 1996. :smarty:
The only reference I found for Swedish counties by population only went to 2000.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9852 on: September 15, 2009, 04:07:40 AM »

Unfortunately it's not just that, it just doesn't work; because since the source is still dirty and demand is constantly increasing... well do the math. All this energy saving crap is merely slowing down an accelerating upward trend at best, absolutely fuck all at worse.

Energy conservation makes sense in terms of stretching out our fossil fuel reserves and minimising the damage we do while we migrate to sustainable and less environmentally harmful sources of energy.  The ultimate goal should be to have essentially unlimited clean energy, which is perfectly feasible with current technology, but if we exhaust our fossil fuel reserves before we have adequate renewable sources to replace them, the results will be pretty catastrophic.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #9853 on: September 15, 2009, 04:17:07 AM »

Energy conservation makes sense in terms of stretching out our fossil fuel reserves and minimising the damage we do while we migrate to sustainable and less environmentally harmful sources of energy.  The ultimate goal should be to have essentially unlimited clean energy, which is perfectly feasible with current technology, but if we exhaust our fossil fuel reserves before we have adequate renewable sources to replace them, the results will be pretty catastrophic.

I suppose that's true, but unless industry is serious about adapting to clean renewable technologies immediately (as it'll take ages to convert everything), then this path of conservation alone, is an eventual dead end.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:23:25 AM by Singularity »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9854 on: September 15, 2009, 08:30:43 AM »

I suppose that's true, but unless industry is serious about adapting to clean renewable technologies immediately (as it'll take ages to convert everything), then this path of conservation alone, is an eventual dead end.

Renewables are getting serious attention in the EU.  Wind turbines have been springing up all over the place here in Scotland; the EU's largest windfarm is just south of where I live, and government projections are for 50% of Scotland's electricity to come from renewables by 2020.  Solar is doing well in other places, and the way things are going, I think most of the world might manage a fairly graceful transition to renewables over the course of this century.