Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249746 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #9555 on: August 17, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »
Cowardly paint shops don't have any methanol. I need it to try colours in a neutral flame.  :thumbdn:

???

Can get it by the gallon here

It's not banned but Swedish shops often take away "dangerous" things from their selection. I can order it from Göteborg, though, but it'll cost a shitload of money.  :grrr:
Camping shops might do it, as do ecomentalists for making biofuel.

Not here. They're afraid that someone will mistake it for ethanol and drink it. Only paint shops, chemical suppliers and maybe hobby shops might have it.
That is a bit ridiculous - if a bottle has a chemical hazard symbol on, you don't drink it.

TheoK

« Reply #9556 on: August 17, 2009, 10:14:37 AM »
Cowardly paint shops don't have any methanol. I need it to try colours in a neutral flame.  :thumbdn:

???

It's not banned but Swedish shops often take away "dangerous" things from their selection. I can order it from Göteborg, though, but it'll cost a shitload of money.  :grrr:

Not here. They're afraid that someone will mistake it for ethanol and drink it. Only paint shops, chemical suppliers and maybe hobby shops might have it.
That is a bit ridiculous - if a bottle has a chemical hazard symbol on, you don't drink it.

What really pisses me is that the dealers themselves are taking it away, when the product is perfectly legal. In some other European countries the dealers specifically sell things that are banned just to make more money, but not the cowardly Swedish dealers.  :thumbdn:

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #9557 on: August 17, 2009, 10:24:56 AM »
They are probably trying to stop the street bums drinking it, or kids thinking its a cheap way to get drunk (or because it would be more accessable in the home or shed)

TheoK

« Reply #9558 on: August 17, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »
They are probably trying to stop the street bums drinking it, or kids thinking its a cheap way to get drunk (or because it would be more accessable in the home or shed)

That's ridiculous. We can just buy homemade booze or booze from Denmark and Germany if we want it cheap. There is no need for drinking poisonous alcohol, it's just another meaningless attempt to control people.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9559 on: August 17, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »

???

Also, they may be concerned that one can be poisoned by methanol by breathing its vapors or even through the skin by handling it without protection.

How far would it be to drive to Göteborg yourself to buy some methanol?  Would that be cheaper than ordering it and having it shipped?

TheoK

« Reply #9560 on: August 17, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »

???

Also, they may be concerned that one can be poisoned by methanol by breathing its vapors or even through the skin by handling it without protection.

How far would it be to drive to Göteborg yourself to buy some methanol?  Would that be cheaper than ordering it and having it shipped?

It would be cheaper to drive there and buy it than ordering it, yes, though it's not cheap to drive there either.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9561 on: August 17, 2009, 11:10:55 AM »

That's ridiculous. We can just buy homemade booze or booze from Denmark and Germany if we want it cheap. There is no need for drinking poisonous alcohol, it's just another meaningless attempt to control people.

Homemade booze sometimes has significant amounts of methanol in it, especially if the distiller does not discard the first distillate.  Methanol boils at a lower temperature than ethanol.  Homemade booze can also be contaminated with lead or ethylene glycol if the bootlegger uses a car radiator to condense his distillate.

Also some particularly unscrupulous distillers may deliberately add methanol to make their booze appear to be higher proof.

TheoK

« Reply #9562 on: August 17, 2009, 11:14:10 AM »

Homemade booze sometimes has significant amounts of methanol in it, especially if the distiller does not discard the first distillate.  Methanol boils at a lower temperature than ethanol.  Homemade booze can also be contaminated with lead or ethylene glycol if the bootlegger uses a car radiator to condense his distillate.

Also some particularly unscrupulous distillers may deliberately add methanol to make their booze appear to be higher proof.

My grandpa made homemade when he was younger. It was excellent.  8)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #9563 on: August 17, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »
My Grandfather has made his own booze for a long time. Considering how difficult it is to get along with my Grandmother, this makes a lot of sense.  :green:

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #9564 on: August 17, 2009, 12:34:01 PM »
My profile picture is not a fake! That is me and Seth Green and everything I've posted is true! >:(
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Blasted

« Reply #9565 on: August 17, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
Who's saying it's a fake?

Offline Trigger 11