Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249584 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #8520 on: May 15, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
You don't remember injuring it?

???

Have you gone to the doctor for it yet?

You seem very young for arthritis, but I think sometimes it can happen even to younger people.

I found out recently when I had my right foot x-rayed that I have the beginning of arthritis at the base of my big toe.

Years ago, a heavy crockery jar fell from the top of the refrigerator onto that joint, so I guess it makes sense for it to get arthritis now.  I never knew whether or not I broke it because I didn't have an x-ray after it happened.  I wore a stiff sandal that didn't let the foot bend for several weeks and it eventually got better.  They said at the student health center that it really made no sense for me to get an x-ray because I was doing pretty much the same thing I would do even if it was broken.

I borrowed a cool foldable cane to use along with my crutches now, since my crutches are really breaking out the skin under my arms.  I think I'm allergic to the rubber pads, but covering them with cotton socks still hasn't let the areas heal.  I have been alternating which hand I use the cane with, especially on stairs.  I use the cane in the hand that isn't holding onto the handrail, and my arms bear almost all the weight off the hurt ankle.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8521 on: May 15, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »
My doc told me to adjust my crutches to where they are not touching my armpit when I am using them, in order to prevent this irritation.

Of course, he is then expecting my triceps to do most of the work.

Even though my bagwork has taken a definite nosedive in the past few months (still haven't re-developed decent exercise habits after having my forearm fractured ...  :'(), my triceps and shoulder muscles are still OK, but they won't stay OK if I don't get back into my habit of bagwork for a few minutes every day.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8522 on: May 15, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »

???

This is something I first noticed about two or three years ago, I think, but it wasn't something I really thought about until more recently. I know it's relatively easy to provoke the pain but I don't know what's causing it.

No, not yet. :(

You seem very young for arthritis, but I think sometimes it can happen even to younger people.

Well, I'm not exactly young, but yes, I thought I'd bee too young for arthritis.

I found out recently when I had my right foot x-rayed that I have the beginning of arthritis at the base of my big toe.

Years ago, a heavy crockery jar fell from the top of the refrigerator onto that joint, so I guess it makes sense for it to get arthritis now.  I never knew whether or not I broke it because I didn't have an x-ray after it happened.  I wore a stiff sandal that didn't let the foot bend for several weeks and it eventually got better.  They said at the student health center that it really made no sense for me to get an x-ray because I was doing pretty much the same thing I would do even if it was broken.

I borrowed a cool foldable cane to use along with my crutches now, since my crutches are really breaking out the skin under my arms.  I think I'm allergic to the rubber pads, but covering them with cotton socks still hasn't let the areas heal.  I have been alternating which hand I use the cane with, especially on stairs.  I use the cane in the hand that isn't holding onto the handrail, and my arms bear almost all the weight off the hurt ankle.

Must be awful to be allergic to the pads. :(

As if having to use the crutches wasn't bad enough.

:( :hug:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8523 on: May 16, 2009, 04:42:24 AM »
My doc told me to adjust my crutches to where they are not touching my armpit when I am using them, in order to prevent this irritation.

Of course, he is then expecting my triceps to do most of the work.

Even though my bagwork has taken a definite nosedive in the past few months (still haven't re-developed decent exercise habits after having my forearm fractured ...  :'(), my triceps and shoulder muscles are still OK, but they won't stay OK if I don't get back into my habit of bagwork for a few minutes every day.

Mine adjust to my height to the nearest inch and the rubber pads don't touch my armpits, but the rash has developed where they touch my inner upper arms, a bit less than a hand's width away from my armpits.  I tried making them an inch longer to give the irritated skin a break after covering the rubber pads with cotton socks didn't help but that didn't help either.

I have tried various creams as suggested by the doctor, but almost all of them sting like ants biting.  The only one that doesn't sting is a special diaper cream I used to use on my daughter when she was younger, so that's what I'm currently using.

???

This is something I first noticed about two or three years ago, I think, but it wasn't something I really thought about until more recently. I know it's relatively easy to provoke the pain but I don't know what's causing it.

Well, I'm not exactly young, but yes, I thought I'd bee too young for arthritis.

Me too.

What kinds of things provoke the pain?

Does walking provoke it?  Does it continue to hurt while you are resting?

Have you tried NSAIDs like ibuprofen or naproxyn for the pain?  Does ice or heat help?

Arthritis is only one possible reason your hip could be hurting.  It could also be a muscle strain, tendonitis, bursitis, or several other things.  It would be good for you and your doctor to figure out the actual reason, so you know what to do for it besides taking pain medicine and walking with a cane. 

By the way, did you notice that House uses the cane on his wrong side?  His right thigh is injured and he uses the cane in his right hand, but it's better if you use the cane in the opposite hand to the affected side, so you can shift more weight to your good side as opposed to your injured side.  Of course, I use it in either hand, especially on stairs, so I can hold onto the handrail while I say in my mind, "up with the good," or "down with the bad," to remind myself to step up with the good side first and to step down with the bad side and the cane first.

;D

Must be awful to be allergic to the pads. :(

As if having to use the crutches wasn't bad enough.

:( :hug:

:thanks:

TheoK

« Reply #8524 on: May 16, 2009, 05:18:37 AM »
Mum has arthrosis. I tell her to get tramadol or something, but she can't speak out to the doctors like I can.  :-\

Blasted

« Reply #8525 on: May 16, 2009, 05:24:38 AM »
^Get well soon odeon  :(

My sister has been going through my comic book stash and when I complained to my mum about her coming into my room without my knowledge, my mum said I'm too old for comic books anyway  >:(

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8526 on: May 16, 2009, 08:43:03 AM »

???

Me too.

What kinds of things provoke the pain?

Does walking provoke it?  Does it continue to hurt while you are resting?[/quote]

Yes and yes. But I can't really figure it out cos a good night's sleep can either make it go away or worsen. I awoke around five because the pain was so bad., took a painkiller and went back to bed. Then, when I woke up again, the pain was almost completely gone and I've been able to walk around without the cane.

Have you tried NSAIDs like ibuprofen or naproxyn for the pain?  Does ice or heat help?

Ibuprofen helps. Ice doesn't help but heat does.

Arthritis is only one possible reason your hip could be hurting.  It could also be a muscle strain, tendonitis, bursitis, or several other things.  It would be good for you and your doctor to figure out the actual reason, so you know what to do for it besides taking pain medicine and walking with a cane. 

True. I have an appointment on Monday so I'll talk to the doctor.

By the way, did you notice that House uses the cane on his wrong side?  His right thigh is injured and he uses the cane in his right hand, but it's better if you use the cane in the opposite hand to the affected side, so you can shift more weight to your good side as opposed to your injured side.  Of course, I use it in either hand, especially on stairs, so I can hold onto the handrail while I say in my mind, "up with the good," or "down with the bad," to remind myself to step up with the good side first and to step down with the bad side and the cane first.

;D

Yes, I've noticed. I do the same thing--I use my left hand. I find it easier.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Blasted

« Reply #8527 on: May 16, 2009, 03:55:48 PM »
Why is everybody watching Eurovision?  :grrr: Also I'm starting to sound so common of late,  my "alright" is more like "awrigh"  :O_o:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8528 on: May 16, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »
LOL, I'm not watching. And it's not a political statement of me, not to watch. Have not seen it for over 20 years now. Was such a waste of time.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Blasted

« Reply #8529 on: May 16, 2009, 04:09:21 PM »
I just don't find it interesting either.  My family watches it religiously every year and even votes  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8530 on: May 17, 2009, 04:05:55 AM »
Why is everybody watching Eurovision?  :grrr: Also I'm starting to sound so common of late,  my "alright" is more like "awrigh"  :O_o:

Eurovision is something they have to control the population with. ;D

Awrigh? :P

- Albert Einstein

Blasted

« Reply #8531 on: May 17, 2009, 07:37:11 AM »
Cockney  :laugh:

Not the best of examples but most of them were some eejits who were trying to fake a Cockney accent  :zoinks: That's what I get for going to such a rough college  ::)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8532 on: May 17, 2009, 08:18:50 AM »
The speedometer on my truck died this morning RIP :(
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #8533 on: May 17, 2009, 09:49:09 AM »
Damn it all to hell! :hanged: >:(
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #8534 on: May 17, 2009, 02:40:36 PM »

I got my first arthritis attack in one of my ankles when I was 25. I get attacks in both ankles, hips, wrists and elbows. I take paracetamol, aspirin and diclofenac when I'm having severe pain only and keep off the affected joint.