Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 250356 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #7995 on: March 04, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »

Firefox is acting up in some odd way.
 :grrr:

With only six or eight tabs open, it becomes a massive CPU hog. Closing and relaunching FF seems to help for a while, but then after a while it gets silly again.

(I update and run my anti-spyware and anti-virus stuff every day, so I doubt that is the problem.)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7996 on: March 04, 2009, 04:02:43 PM »
What's your FF version?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #7997 on: March 04, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »
I have 3. something and it makes the same for me sometimes.  :grrr:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7998 on: March 04, 2009, 04:18:24 PM »
What's your FF version?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7999 on: March 04, 2009, 04:19:26 PM »
What's your FF version?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6

I haven't noticed my FF (3.06) do that. Probably the Windows version, then.

Have you tried Chrome, Google's browser?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8000 on: March 04, 2009, 04:56:29 PM »
I have not tried Chrome, but I am curious.

I hate to lose FF, but if it continually acts up over the next few days I will have a look at Chrome.

Right now, everything is great again, even my ISP. I have twelve tabs open (two are news, meaning ad-heavy) and I'm downloading a song from AAJ.

I am daring it to fuck up and it isn't.
???

(I loathe sporadic behaviors - even though I have them, too)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #8001 on: March 04, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »
I can not begin to tell you how many times I have heard that very statement, then watched as these rough old salted cobs became proper snuggle bears to their own.

You're not the first one whos told me that. I personally can not see that happening.

Becoming a father changes you in so many ways. It kind of flicks this switch in your brain and your child become super important to you and you start guarding it like a big old pile of cash.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #8002 on: March 04, 2009, 05:02:42 PM »

With only six or eight tabs open, it becomes a massive CPU hog. Closing and relaunching FF seems to help for a while, but then after a while it gets silly again.

(I update and run my anti-spyware and anti-virus stuff every day, so I doubt that is the problem.)

Sounds like one of the web pages you have open is doing that. Try closing one at a time and watch the CPU meter for a while to see if you have caught the offender.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8003 on: March 04, 2009, 05:55:31 PM »

Sounds like one of the web pages you have open is doing that. Try closing one at a time and watch the CPU meter for a while to see if you have caught the offender.
Thanks.  That was my first thought as well.

When it first started, I was on two all-text sites plus this site. I then wanted to blame some Windows background service, but when I looked at CPU usage it was bouncing near one hundred percent at the FF report with nothing else running. I then closed all tabs down one at a time as you suggested and only the google homepage was open. One hundred percent CPU, still.
I closed FF and CPU duties went to zero.

Relaunched FF and the issue seemed gone, but it came back twice. One time I had no other sites loaded but this one and this site is usually easy to navigate, even with my extremely slow ISP.
(The ISP software is also a likely culprit anytime anything happens - more so than WinXP to be honest - because they cache pages I visit regularly on my machine to increase page load speeds, but they can't hide that. It is obvious when cached pages are being updated)

Anyway, I hope it was a fluke.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8004 on: March 05, 2009, 01:41:57 AM »
Have a look at the task manager's process list the next time it happens. Maybe there's a plugin left running from a previous page.

You have to remember that FF tabs do not run as separate threads. If a page causes high loads because of some page that fucks up a plugin, closing a tab won't cut that thread.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8005 on: March 05, 2009, 12:50:53 PM »
Fuck the dog has bad gas again :stinker:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8006 on: March 05, 2009, 04:24:35 PM »
My left eye itches like hell.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8007 on: March 05, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »
My left eye itches like hell.

How do you think I feel mines gone :P
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8008 on: March 05, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
Have a look at the task manager's process list the next time it happens. Maybe there's a plugin left running from a previous page.

You have to remember that FF tabs do not run as separate threads. If a page causes high loads because of some page that fucks up a plugin, closing a tab won't cut that thread.

Ah, very true, thanks. Only problem is that some of the "issue-related"  things often identify as, simply, "Local service."

I may have to go back and re-create the particular page loads and try to determine if that was just it and not a problem due to something else.

It will be very easy to re-create the set of tabs I had open (I've done that once and it happened again - so you may have it. ... and iIt is truly "nothing.")

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8009 on: March 05, 2009, 05:20:59 PM »
That's where Chrome is better. Every tab is a separate instance of the browser. It works very well.

- Albert Einstein