Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249701 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #7530 on: December 24, 2008, 07:37:40 PM »
My father walked out of rehab from his heart surgery and went home a week early setting my sister into rant mode
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7531 on: December 24, 2008, 09:05:53 PM »
Spore keeps crashing, and is essentially unplayable for me, even after I patched it.  I might try it on my laptop and see if it works better there; Alpha Centauri crashes my desktop but works fine on my laptop for some reason, so the same could be true with Spore.  I'm a bit puzzled though about why, when Spore crashes, my comp reboots.  A similar thing happens with Alpha Centauri, though in that case, the comp becomes completely and permanently unresponsive until I manually cycle the power. 

Why does my comp always have to irrecoverably freeze or reboot or something, rather than crashing to the desktop or giving a blue screen?  How can these applications fuck it up so badly that it can't even squeeze out an error message and rebooting is the only possible way to fix it?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7532 on: December 25, 2008, 08:56:33 AM »
My father-in-law is in very bad shape. He's hospitalised and growing weaker by the minute. We brought him home yesterday, for some Christmas food and the redistribution of parcels (yes, it's done on Christmas Eve around here), but the night that followed was almost too much for him. He had a fever when we drove him back to the hospital today.

Not sure the old guy will make it. :(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7533 on: December 25, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »
 :-\

Is it sudden or has it been building for a while?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7534 on: December 25, 2008, 11:06:14 AM »
It's been building up over time. He's got prostate cancer that seemed to be under control but it could be that it has spread, finally.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7535 on: December 25, 2008, 11:38:03 AM »
Best wishes for his healing.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

duncvis

« Reply #7536 on: December 25, 2008, 03:27:55 PM »
 :agreed:

wondering why folk who can't hold their drink insist on downing so much of it anyway, then inflicting their drunken theatrics on the rest of the street.  ::)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7537 on: December 25, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »
Thank you, both of you.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7538 on: December 27, 2008, 06:59:44 PM »
I'm having computer issues again (not that I've resolved many of my past issues; I've just given up on most of them).  I'm transferring files from a video camera attached to a USB port on my laptop, through my network to my desktop (since the all the USB ports on the desktop randomly stopped working months ago, and I haven't been able to revive them).  It went ok for the first 125 or so files, but then it popped up a "path is too deep" error and refused to transfer the last handful of files, despite me trying a few times, and even though the files were the same length and in the same location and generally almost identical to the other 125 files that had transferred without a hitch.  I've had this error message before, and it's really irritating, but I searched online and some people seem to have overcome it by reducing the speed on their network adapter, so I'm trying that now, even though it's going to make it stupidly slow.  From what I've been able to gather, it's more often some sort of hardware fault than an actual issue with the path. 

Transferring large numbers of files is a complete pain in the ass in Windows XP; any time I've tried to transfer more than 50 or so files, it's been interrupted either by a "path is too deep" error or an access violation.  It's particularly bad if I open a folder to check it's contents before transferring it, since even if I navigate back to the parent directory, some Windows process will have opened them to make thumbnails or something stupid like that, and I won't be able to transfer a few of the files in the folder until I restart the comp.

P.S. Nope, dropping the speed didn't solve the problem.  It transferred about a quarter of the first file before popping up a "path is too deep" message and aborting.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7539 on: December 27, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »
Unreliable people and their chaotic plans.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7540 on: December 27, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »
gifts i don't want from people who later will tell me i have too much stuff.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7541 on: December 27, 2008, 11:44:32 PM »

Don't open the gifts.

Give them to a charity, still wrapped. You will be doing good, instead of toiling over this. If you want people to stop giving you gifts, then tell them that you are donating all their gifts to a charity and thank them.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7542 on: December 28, 2008, 07:31:51 AM »

:agreed:

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7543 on: December 28, 2008, 11:19:05 AM »
I'm having computer issues again (not that I've resolved many of my past issues; I've just given up on most of them).  I'm transferring files from a video camera attached to a USB port on my laptop, through my network to my desktop (since the all the USB ports on the desktop randomly stopped working months ago, and I haven't been able to revive them).  It went ok for the first 125 or so files, but then it popped up a "path is too deep" error and refused to transfer the last handful of files, despite me trying a few times, and even though the files were the same length and in the same location and generally almost identical to the other 125 files that had transferred without a hitch.  I've had this error message before, and it's really irritating, but I searched online and some people seem to have overcome it by reducing the speed on their network adapter, so I'm trying that now, even though it's going to make it stupidly slow.  From what I've been able to gather, it's more often some sort of hardware fault than an actual issue with the path. 

Transferring large numbers of files is a complete pain in the ass in Windows XP; any time I've tried to transfer more than 50 or so files, it's been interrupted either by a "path is too deep" error or an access violation.  It's particularly bad if I open a folder to check it's contents before transferring it, since even if I navigate back to the parent directory, some Windows process will have opened them to make thumbnails or something stupid like that, and I won't be able to transfer a few of the files in the folder until I restart the comp.

P.S. Nope, dropping the speed didn't solve the problem.  It transferred about a quarter of the first file before popping up a "path is too deep" message and aborting.

Is it a FAT 16 file system? Could be that the indexes are fucked.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7544 on: December 28, 2008, 11:24:43 AM »
My wife wants me to organize my stuff :twitch:

George Bernard Shaw