Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249592 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #7470 on: December 13, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »
Worked a really long day today,  including over two hours of working in an attic less than 3 feet high, and am really sore
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7471 on: December 13, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »
That's not an  :asthing: but a female thing.  :smarty:

:laugh:

My husband is a very good navigator, but there are very bad navigators who are men and very good ones who are women, so it's just not a male / female thing, IMO.

I navigate by landmarks, but if an area is unfamiliar I can drive around for a long time to find my way unless I stop and ask for directions.

My husband apparently has a compass in his brain, so he navigates by knowing what direction to travel and he can find his way in an unfamiliar place without directions.

Fortunately for me, GPS navigation devices have become much less expensive.

It's not a compass, but I believe it may be related to some Gaussian parallel flux line sensitivity phenomenon. I was blessed, but so is my wife and I have no reason to add, "... for a girl."  Where she DOES have difficulty is in instinctively knowing how far she has traveled. She has often miscalculated by huge proportions of the required distances in following accurate directions.

If you want a cool GPS unit, there are products which feature, touch screeen menus, Bluetooth, hands-free cell phone linking, built-in iPod docking, satellite radio, internet, wireless FM transmission to your mobile AV receiver unit to play your iPod (or you can cable up to your receiver, so you can play videos from your iPod), cellphone and the vocal GPS instructions through your car stereo. Some even link to a satellite in real time to retrieve up-to-the-minute traffic information where it's available. Those aren't cheap!

... or you can get a basic do-nothing unit with programmed maps for about one hundred eighty bucks

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7472 on: December 13, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »
I had a rental car once for a few days with a GPS unit in it. Once I got over the weirdness of refusing to listen to the computer's directions when it wanted to take routes I didn't like (why the hell do I get more emotional over a computer than a human?) then it was actually pretty cool.

In this case, the problem was just visual overload - I kept not recognizing turns that I'd made plenty of times in the past.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7473 on: December 14, 2008, 05:11:28 AM »
I had a rental car once for a few days with a GPS unit in it. Once I got over the weirdness of refusing to listen to the computer's directions when it wanted to take routes I didn't like (why the hell do I get more emotional over a computer than a human?) then it was actually pretty cool.

In this case, the problem was just visual overload - I kept not recognizing turns that I'd made plenty of times in the past.

I don't think I could ever use them :(  I have a thing for only making left hand turns when there is a light or a clear road well I guuess I don't like left turns at all they make me nervous  :-[
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7474 on: December 14, 2008, 07:14:11 AM »

My husband is a very good navigator, but there are very bad navigators who are men and very good ones who are women, so it's just not a male / female thing, IMO.

I navigate by landmarks, but if an area is unfamiliar I can drive around for a long time to find my way unless I stop and ask for directions.

My husband apparently has a compass in his brain, so he navigates by knowing what direction to travel and he can find his way in an unfamiliar place without directions.

It's not a compass, but I believe it may be related to some Gaussian parallel flux line sensitivity phenomenon. I was blessed, but so is my wife and I have no reason to add, "... for a girl."  Where she DOES have difficulty is in instinctively knowing how far she has traveled. She has often miscalculated by huge proportions of the required distances in following accurate directions.

If you want a cool GPS unit, there are products which feature, touch screeen menus, Bluetooth, hands-free cell phone linking, built-in iPod docking, satellite radio, internet, wireless FM transmission to your mobile AV receiver unit to play your iPod (or you can cable up to your receiver, so you can play videos from your iPod), cellphone and the vocal GPS instructions through your car stereo. Some even link to a satellite in real time to retrieve up-to-the-minute traffic information where it's available. Those aren't cheap!

... or you can get a basic do-nothing unit with programmed maps for about one hundred eighty bucks

Much less than that - my Uncle got a hold of a reasonably good one for £70.

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
« Reply #7475 on: December 14, 2008, 08:23:33 AM »
I'm a fucking spaz. Managed to drive in circles for more than an hour to get to a place that's a 10 minute drive away.

How's the Madden job?
I'm here to fuck you up. :P

Member of the Triumvirate.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7476 on: December 14, 2008, 08:24:56 AM »
I'm a fucking spaz. Managed to drive in circles for more than an hour to get to a place that's a 10 minute drive away.
To be fair its not a difficult thing to accidentally end up doing in Miami.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7477 on: December 14, 2008, 09:17:27 AM »

How's the Madden job?

Stressful but I'm making it so far.  :hahaha: to me for starting in December - yesterday was the second fricking company party in a week. Formal dress and fancy hairstyles = not good for faceblindness.

The next-gen game assets look pretty awesome, though.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7478 on: December 14, 2008, 03:38:59 PM »

The trouble is that once you reach the "bottom of the barrel,"  there is not as much difference in quality of the units as there is in the quality of the convenience accessories. The quality of things like chargers, cases, mounting hardware, interface connections, portability, updating, etc. really suffers at the low end of the pricing scale.

Better to take a step or two up from the bottom end units.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7479 on: December 14, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »

The trouble is that once you reach the "bottom of the barrel,"  there is not as much difference in quality of the units as there is in the quality of the convenience accessories. The quality of things like chargers, cases, mounting hardware, interface connections, portability, updating, etc. really suffers at the low end of the pricing scale.

Better to take a step or two up from the bottom end units.
True they can be. Though if you check out reviews etc you should be fine.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7480 on: December 14, 2008, 08:44:28 PM »

I bought my husband a high end Tom Tom from your store last Christmas, but it was more expensive than that and doesn't have all the features you listed.  He's never tried to link it to his cell phone, even though it supposedly has that capability.  It does have a touch screen and maps of the US and its neighbors and Europe, which is cool.

They seem to have come down in price a lot in the past year.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7481 on: December 15, 2008, 02:14:08 PM »
It's not a compass, but I believe it may be related to some Gaussian parallel flux line sensitivity phenomenon.

It's nothing that fancy; it just compares your new position to your previous position and determines which direction you moved in.  If you stand still, it's useless.  I have a unit I use when trekking, and the compass function on it gets erratic at anything less than walking pace, which wasn't so great one time when crossing a boulder field in a blizzard, since I had to take my gloves off to fish my magnetic compass out of my pocket.  Oh, the horror.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7482 on: December 15, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »

I bought my husband a high end Tom Tom from your store last Christmas, but it was more expensive than that and doesn't have all the features you listed.  He's never tried to link it to his cell phone, even though it supposedly has that capability.  It does have a touch screen and maps of the US and its neighbors and Europe, which is cool.

They seem to have come down in price a lot in the past year.

No, the "do everything"  units start in the three hundred dollar plus range and go past twelve hundred dollars. The only difference, once you get into the fancy ones, is that the really expensive ones mainly have bigger screens, which, to me, the larger screen size seems to be a relatively small manufacturing cost once you have all the other electronics built in. I think it's a marketing/convenience gouge to have to pay double for a screen twice the size (about four times larger in surface area, but LCDs are hardly cutting edge technology, these days. They're gouging the "Cadillac owners").

BTW, my opinion is that the constant downtrend in the cost of high-tech gadgetry, combined with the enormous growth in sales for such gadgets, is one of the things that masks the "real life"  inflation figures. Those on tight budgets know that "living"  day-to-day costs more than it used to by a fairly large margin, despite the "published"  inflation figures. Now with new housing figures going down as well, these BS inflation figures will tell even bigger lies to the middle income tax payers.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:37:10 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7483 on: December 16, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
FUCK!  >:( >:( >:(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7484 on: December 16, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »