Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 250812 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #7425 on: December 09, 2008, 01:08:59 PM »
Every time I open a http://www.newscientist.com article in Firefox 3.0.4, Firefox's CPU usage shoots up to about 95% and stays there until I close the article, which means I can't keep a newscientist tab open without feeling like I'm browsing through treacle.  Is there some way to disable whatever it is on that site that eats up my CPU?  Most other sites are fine, and I use flashblock and adblock, but sometimes I find a site that sends my CPU into overdrive and makes everything run like shit for no apparent reason.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7426 on: December 09, 2008, 03:17:21 PM »
worked out in the cold all day
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7427 on: December 09, 2008, 03:21:04 PM »
Every time I open a http://www.newscientist.com article in Firefox 3.0.4, Firefox's CPU usage shoots up to about 95% and stays there until I close the article, which means I can't keep a newscientist tab open without feeling like I'm browsing through treacle.  Is there some way to disable whatever it is on that site that eats up my CPU?  Most other sites are fine, and I use flashblock and adblock, but sometimes I find a site that sends my CPU into overdrive and makes everything run like shit for no apparent reason.

Turn off JavaScript in your preferences and see if some script is causing your problems.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7428 on: December 09, 2008, 05:05:36 PM »

Turn off JavaScript in your preferences and see if some script is causing your problems.

Grr, it's stopped doing it for the moment.  I think it's to do with the really irritating flash ads that float on top of the pages sometimes and make it impossible to click on certain links.  I'll try disabling javascript the next time it happens.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7429 on: December 09, 2008, 06:15:37 PM »
I have yet to upgrade to 3.0 yet and have no problems
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7430 on: December 10, 2008, 02:47:17 AM »

Grr, it's stopped doing it for the moment.  I think it's to do with the really irritating flash ads that float on top of the pages sometimes and make it impossible to click on certain links.  I'll try disabling javascript the next time it happens.

Maybe your flashblock thing isn't as good as it should be?! Have you tried using the NoScript add-on instead?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #7431 on: December 11, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »

Maybe your flashblock thing isn't as good as it should be?! Have you tried using the NoScript add-on instead?

Ahh! Gotta love NoScript.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7432 on: December 11, 2008, 03:29:53 PM »

It's the best, as far as I know. It's not necessarily for the casual user, though.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7433 on: December 11, 2008, 04:06:27 PM »

It's the best, as far as I know. It's not necessarily for the casual user, though.

you mean you need to dress formally to use it?   :o

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7434 on: December 11, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »

No, but proper table settings are essential.
 :asthing:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7435 on: December 11, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »

No, but proper table settings are essential.
 :asthing:

:laugh:   :plus:

always.   8)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7436 on: December 11, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »

:laugh:

:indeed:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7437 on: December 11, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »

:laugh:

:indeed:

we're just too refined and sophisticated for this rabble, dawg.  :-*

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7438 on: December 11, 2008, 04:35:59 PM »

Refine in one hand, shit in the other and let's see which one fills more quickly.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7439 on: December 11, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »
Now, my reason for coming to this thread ...

A twelve hour day kicked my arse, today.

I'm tired.

On a semi-positive note, though ...

We had an auditor from a third party come in to spot check our displays. These are displays from various manufacturers that I set up, personally as part of my old job.

She has a score sheet to fill out with seventeen points of functionality and presentation criticisms that she is required to assess for each display in her roster. There are fourteen required displays that she was there to grade/judge.

I had one hundred percent on twelve of them, ninety seven on one and eighty nine on the last. She was ecstatic! She said it was the best grade, on average, she has ever given to any of the twenty something stores she grades.

I went to hide!!

Back to bitchin' ...

She paraded around the entire store with this news and told every manager in the place, every sales person, who all gave me full credit. Everyone was looking for me to "pat me on the back."  I wasn't able to take any such crap at the time and I apparently puzzled a couple of people, trying to get away from them.
I stayed off camera, on the move, above the warehouse until she was gone and I could leave, then ducked out as quickly as I could.

I read the email she sent out, though! I am so fucked!!

I HATE being made into some sort of sacrificial lamb for just growing wool!

It was my fucking JOB! It was merely a matter of course that I actually did my job, FFS!  If any excess of credit has just GOT to be paid out, then give it those who have hired me and allowed me to do what I know, who generally have learned to leave me the fuck alone and allow me to do what I can do.

:yikes:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:50:29 PM by DirtDawg »