Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249879 times)

TheoK

Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #7290 on: November 28, 2008, 03:13:02 PM »
The Brits once owned half the world and now they just lick Muslim arse like the rest of Western Europe and are unable to even spell their own language correctly.

Yeah, call our response to Iraq, "licking arse?"

I didn't know you were a Brit. Very bright to start a war that makes Iraqis flee to Europe. Better to prevent them from leaving their fucking country or leaving them alone in the first place.

Glad I am not Euro-trash.

:eyebrows:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7291 on: November 28, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »
If you have seen 3 episodes of Seinfeld or Married with Children, you know exactly what they are going to say and do in every episode. That's not what I'd call humour.  8)

True, which is exactly why I don't like that brand of so-called humor.

BTW, it's interesting that you spell "humour" the British way, but not "Anglicise". 

:plus:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #7292 on: November 28, 2008, 03:17:12 PM »
Partially blind now, too?

TheoK

« Reply #7293 on: November 28, 2008, 03:18:14 PM »
---

"The -ize spelling is preferred by some authoritative British sources including the Oxford English Dictionary — which, until recently, did not list the -ise form of many words, even as an alternative — and Fowler's Modern English Usage. The OED firmly deprecates usage of '-ise', stating, '[T]he suffix…, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Gr[eek] -ιζειν, L[atin] -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling in -iser should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic.' Noah Webster rejected -ise for the same reasons. Despite these denouncements, however, the -ize spelling is now rarely used in the UK in the mass media and newspapers, and is often incorrectly regarded as an Americanism."

---

"The OED spelling (which can be indicated by the registered IANA language tag en-GB-oed), and thus -ize, is used in many British-based academic publications, such as Nature, the Biochemical Journal and The Times Literary Supplement."

---

"Worldwide, -ize endings prevail in scientific writing and are commonly used by many international organizations."

---

American and British English spelling differences

The Moomintrolls are wrong and I'm right.  8)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7294 on: November 28, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
---

"The -ize spelling is preferred by some authoritative British sources including the Oxford English Dictionary — which, until recently, did not list the -ise form of many words, even as an alternative — and Fowler's Modern English Usage. The OED firmly deprecates usage of '-ise', stating, '[T]he suffix…, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Gr[eek] -ιζειν, L[atin] -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling in -iser should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic.' Noah Webster rejected -ise for the same reasons. Despite these denouncements, however, the -ize spelling is now rarely used in the UK in the mass media and newspapers, and is often incorrectly regarded as an Americanism."

---

"The OED spelling (which can be indicated by the registered IANA language tag en-GB-oed), and thus -ize, is used in many British-based academic publications, such as Nature, the Biochemical Journal and The Times Literary Supplement."

---

"Worldwide, -ize endings prevail in scientific writing and are commonly used by many international organizations."

---

American and British English spelling differences

The Moomintrolls are wrong and I'm right.  8)

Do you know when Fowler's Modern English Usage was written, Lit? And do you know why Fowler didn't like "ise"?

See, now that you've had a few days, even you can locate texts such as the above on the Internet. We had this discussion a few days ago. You missed a very basic point: you claimed "ise" is wrong.

It isn't. It's an alternative spelling, used by more than 60 million people. I never said "ize" is wrong, because it isn't.

By the way, you might want to read the rest of the Wikipedia article you quoted.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #7295 on: November 28, 2008, 03:39:11 PM »
I don't care if more Brits spell it without a "z", not to mention the Aussies and Kiwis. Etymologically and phonetically it's right to use "z".

TheoK

« Reply #7296 on: November 28, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »
And I also don't care if the book was written in 1926 -- Swedish was also much better in 1926. Swedish (and English) was better in 926 for that matter.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7297 on: November 28, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »
I don't give two shits about spelling and grammar :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #7298 on: November 28, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
By the way, this discussion had its origin in me correcting DirtDawg for spelling it the wrong way, and he's from the USA, so he should spell it with "z" anyway.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7299 on: November 28, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »
I don't care if more Brits spell it without a "z", not to mention the Aussies and Kiwis. Etymologically and phonetically it's right to use "z".

Ah, yes, Lit the Master of Etymology. Carl Benz, right? :LMAO:

And I also don't care if the book was written in 1926 -- Swedish was also much better in 1926. Swedish (and English) was better in 926 for that matter.

Yes, dear.

By the way, this discussion had its origin in me correcting DirtDawg for spelling it the wrong way, and he's from the USA, so he should spell it with "z" anyway.

Tell us again why you spell it "humour".

:LMAO:

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #7300 on: November 28, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »
I spell etymologically.  8)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7301 on: November 28, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »
And like the average Swede. Not very well.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #7302 on: November 28, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »
Wrong. I haven't misspelt in Swedish more than 10 times in my whole life and I rarely misspell in other languages.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7303 on: November 28, 2008, 04:17:25 PM »
Wrong. I haven't misspelt a Swedish word more than 10 times in my whole life and I rarely misspell in other languages.

Ethymology

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #7304 on: November 28, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
Yes, that's true irony. Might come from that most words of Greek origin that begin with "et" have an "h" after the t.