Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 251016 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #6555 on: September 01, 2008, 09:08:32 PM »
Will not be able to study at home today as neighbours are hammering and drilling the wall that joins our backyards. Will have to go to the library.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #6556 on: September 01, 2008, 11:45:53 PM »
No! Not the library! Anywhere but the library!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :headexplode:

GalileoAce

« Reply #6557 on: September 01, 2008, 11:48:27 PM »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6558 on: September 02, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »
It is all 1s and 0s.    The errors would come from the computer software not burning the CD correctly.   Digital media should be the same, no matter the quality of disc it is burned on.    The difference is the bitrate of the .wav .mp3 or whatever.   Recording errors I guess would happen due to CD media but the burner itself can be to blame as well.    The main concern of mine with CD burning is that the burnt CDs seem to get scratched easier.    I would rather have music on a iPod honestly or some other digital audio storage device.

You don't know a lot about this, do you?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #6559 on: September 02, 2008, 01:21:39 AM »
It is all 1s and 0s.    The errors would come from the computer software not burning the CD correctly.   Digital media should be the same, no matter the quality of disc it is burned on.    The difference is the bitrate of the .wav .mp3 or whatever.   Recording errors I guess would happen due to CD media but the burner itself can be to blame as well.    The main concern of mine with CD burning is that the burnt CDs seem to get scratched easier.    I would rather have music on a iPod honestly or some other digital audio storage device.

Errors happen, why?   The fault of the computer is rare, and it is mostly due to user error.   I don't burn CDs, I have an iPod to store my music.   I do know there is sound quality reduction.   Errors happen like the skipping of a track or the small hiccups in a song.   I have a really low error rate with even cheap CDs.   Usually that is with data though.   MP3, and other digital formats generally should be duplicates or exact copies of what is on the Computer.   If it sounds like crap on your PC it isn't going to sound much  better burned to a CD.   Only difference is through the audio setup, as in the speakers and amp driving the sound.   Digital shit just doesn't have the warmth or bass response of analog.   That is why people still use vinyl and record masters on tapes.   Protools directly to a digital medium is not going to be as good as a record recorded via analog methods overall.    It is a matter of opinion somewhat, no matter how high the frequency ceiling or floor that is involved in the digital method.   HD audio or DVD audio... whatever.
:P   Internets are super serious.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #6560 on: September 02, 2008, 01:57:27 AM »
Take the white noise recorded on the Beatles' track 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)'. It was recorded on analogue tape in 1968 at Trident studios originally, then re-recorded at Abbey Road in mid 1969 on 16 track tape. Being as vinyl was the only format available (apart from 8 track and reel to reel), it was especially released with a sound suitable for that medium. When it got transferred to CD in 1980 or so, Lennon was supposed to have siad that it sounded like shit. Virtually all of the Beatles' material that was either re-released or the new stuff found has been released on vinyl especially because it sounds better.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6561 on: September 02, 2008, 08:20:07 AM »

Okay, so where are the errors?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6562 on: September 02, 2008, 08:31:14 AM »
It's not called "burning a CD" for nothing. :P

Well, yeah, but I don't think I've ever heard of a drive failing in this way, before.

???

That thing burned the FUCK out of that CD!
What kind of media were you using?

I'm an audiophile with dawg ears, Hadron. WTF do you think I use, Costco crap or something?

I use two types of media for music. The black Maxell, made for music, are fine for disposable discs, but this happened to one of the best discs manufactured by any company.

I pay four times as much as I would have to at work to get "middle of the road" quality Verbatim music media for the quality of Taiyo Yuden. These discs generally burn with one tenth the errors with music compared to the one that ranks second best, Maxell black.
I didnt realise the quality of the audio was changed by the quality of disc used, as the computer is supposed to ensure no errors when recording, and the CD encoding algorithm's tolerances and error correction codes make up the rest.

Verbatim media I have had quite a fair few problems with in a couple of computers of mine. Surprisingly some cheapo Asda media I got a while back seems to work rather well...

That's fucking laughable, dude!

Are you really trying to say that a computer, any computer, possibly running Windows, is somehow magically going to ensure that no recording errors occur?

:LMAO:
As long as you have BURN and decent writing software, a clean disk should have zero errors in it. Unless its been manufactured in a faulty fashion or written using a faulty drive.

Cheapo disks tend not to last as long due to dye degeneration, but as long as you don't intend to use them in a few years time, it really doesn't matter.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6563 on: September 02, 2008, 10:54:34 AM »
oh GOD...  how do I get outta this one and leave him dignity?  :(
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

ozymandias

« Reply #6564 on: September 02, 2008, 11:01:42 AM »

Fast and quick, tell him it's over and don't drag it out!   :plus:  Don't worry about his "dignity", thats the least of your worries!

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6565 on: September 02, 2008, 11:36:40 AM »
Will not be able to study at home today as neighbours are hammering and drilling the wall that joins our backyards. Will have to go to the library.
Libraries are better than being at home for studying, using them allows you to compartmentalise your time.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6566 on: September 02, 2008, 12:00:46 PM »

Tell him that his penis is too large for you to handle?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #6567 on: September 02, 2008, 01:44:46 PM »

I agree.   Troubleshooting would tell you whether its the disc quality or the PC software or hardware that causes the error.   Digital reproduction is supposed to be an exact copy.   Though not quite with the source being analog (vinyl to CD).     
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6568 on: September 02, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »

Plenty of possible causes. Some software, some hardware. For example:

The tolerances when manufacturing the burner could work against the tolerances of those when manufacturing the media--it is well known that some brands of CDs will work less well with some brands of burners. The laser could be slightly misaligned, and depending on the type of media, coating, etc, some zeros could be interpreted as ones and vice versa. If you have a misaligned DVD/CD burner, DVDs are affected more, especially with a unit that burns double layers, but sometimes CD reading/writing becomes unreliable too.

The firmware of the burner could be poorly written and under certain circumstances (depending, for example, on the hardware controlling the IDE bus) cause misinterpretations. The drivers controlling that hardware (known as chipsets, btw) could have quirks. IDE buses in particular can cause various problems with buffers.

The OS could have problems handling priorities or poorly written kernel-space applications could interfere with the burning process (Windows, in particular, is known for this sort of thing) and cause buffer problems. Sometimes a screensaver disliked by the graphics drivers could cause this. A DVD zone-free hack can sometimes create problems. A BIOS bug can interfere with the chipset drivers.

Etc, etc, etc.

And mind you, these are just few of the possible problems.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6569 on: September 02, 2008, 02:28:05 PM »

I agree.   Troubleshooting would tell you whether its the disc quality or the PC software or hardware that causes the error.   Digital reproduction is supposed to be an exact copy.   Though not quite with the source being analog (vinyl to CD).     

In theory this is true, of course.

- Albert Einstein