Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 250624 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #6540 on: August 31, 2008, 07:06:51 PM »
Itchy all over fucking wrong soap even my eyes itch
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6541 on: August 31, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
I had one small, minor complaint about my mouse yesterday, but I just HAD to generally bitch about optical drives, TOO, didn't I?

I burned a CD just a while ago, it seemed to take too long and when I pulled the CD out of the drive, it was so fucking HOT that the thermal shock of my hands touching it shattered it into about a hundred pieces, roughly a fifth of which landed inside the drive itself.

It doesn't WORK, now!

:hair:

My finger has a nice crease branded into it, too.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6542 on: September 01, 2008, 02:13:07 PM »
It's not called "burning a CD" for nothing. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6543 on: September 01, 2008, 03:35:13 PM »

Well, yeah, but I don't think I've ever heard of a drive failing in this way, before.

???

That thing burned the FUCK out of that CD!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6544 on: September 01, 2008, 04:05:57 PM »

Well, yeah, but I don't think I've ever heard of a drive failing in this way, before.

???

What kind of media were you using?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6545 on: September 01, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »

???

I've never heard of anything like it either. :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #6546 on: September 01, 2008, 05:22:27 PM »
Fucking mosquito's!   :grrr:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6547 on: September 01, 2008, 06:35:27 PM »

???

I'm an audiophile with dawg ears, Hadron. WTF do you think I use, Costco crap or something?

I use two types of media for music. The black Maxell, made for music, are fine for disposable discs, but this happened to one of the best discs manufactured by any company.

I pay four times as much as I would have to at work to get "middle of the road" quality Verbatim music media for the quality of Taiyo Yuden. These discs generally burn with one tenth the errors with music compared to the one that ranks second best, Maxell black.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:38:31 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6548 on: September 01, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »

???

I'm an audiophile with dawg ears, Hadron. WTF do you think I use, Costco crap or something?

I use two types of media for music. The black Maxell, made for music, are fine for disposable discs, but this happened to one of the best discs manufactured by any company.

I pay four times as much as I would have to at work to get "middle of the road" quality Verbatim music media for the quality of Taiyo Yuden. These discs generally burn with one tenth the errors with music compared to the one that ranks second best, Maxell black.
I didnt realise the quality of the audio was changed by the quality of disc used, as the computer is supposed to ensure no errors when recording, and the CD encoding algorithm's tolerances and error correction codes make up the rest.

Verbatim media I have had quite a fair few problems with in a couple of computers of mine. Surprisingly some cheapo Asda media I got a while back seems to work rather well...

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6549 on: September 01, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »

???

I didnt realise the quality of the audio was changed by the quality of disc used, as the computer is supposed to ensure no errors when recording, and the CD encoding algorithm's tolerances and error correction codes make up the rest.

Verbatim media I have had quite a fair few problems with in a couple of computers of mine. Surprisingly some cheapo Asda media I got a while back seems to work rather well...

That's fucking laughable, dude!

Are you really trying to say that a computer, any computer, possibly running Windows, is somehow magically going to ensure that no recording errors occur?

:LMAO:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #6550 on: September 01, 2008, 07:19:46 PM »
It is all 1s and 0s.    The errors would come from the computer software not burning the CD correctly.   Digital media should be the same, no matter the quality of disc it is burned on.    The difference is the bitrate of the .wav .mp3 or whatever.   Recording errors I guess would happen due to CD media but the burner itself can be to blame as well.    The main concern of mine with CD burning is that the burnt CDs seem to get scratched easier.    I would rather have music on a iPod honestly or some other digital audio storage device.
:P   Internets are super serious.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #6551 on: September 01, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »
Me, I'd prefer vinyl myself. Trouble is, I haven't got the spare cash to buy out EMI. Ah, what I could do with Abbey Road....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:46:26 AM by The_Chosen_One »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6552 on: September 01, 2008, 08:11:42 PM »
It is all 1s and 0s.    The errors would come from the computer software not burning the CD correctly.   Digital media should be the same, no matter the quality of disc it is burned on.    The difference is the bitrate of the .wav .mp3 or whatever.   Recording errors I guess would happen due to CD media but the burner itself can be to blame as well.    The main concern of mine with CD burning is that the burnt CDs seem to get scratched easier.    I would rather have music on a iPod honestly or some other digital audio storage device.

Hard drives are OK, but I prefer to not listen to compressed formats. CDs are more portable than hard drives, so they win for convenience, but that's about it.

Obviously, the media must be compatible with the recording device or you will produce a greater number of errors. The reason to use high grade media is that the higher standard of quality of a high grade recording device is also supported. You must understand that despite all the talk about how tolerant digital reproduction is, in theory, CDs are a compromise of that process. Another thing to note is that, in addition to all the "within tolerances" speeches you can make, SOMETHING inside the disc must physically change in order to store all those ones and zeros. That physical change and the degree of stability and predictability is greater with media manufactured under more strict standards of uniformity.

Please, don't start on some ones and zeroes discussion, about how music is music in digital, because there are plenty of us who can HEAR the difference, repeatedly, double blind, etc. It almost always comes down to the resolution of your overall system being too low, if you can't hear the differences for yourself. The delicacy of my system to produce minute details is perfectly capable of demonstrating which CDs are better and you don't need to do a bit count analysis to HEAR the differences between different grades of CD media.

I am not interested in arguing about this, again, so you will just have to trust me on this one or else go argue with about fifteen thousand audiophiles over at Steve Hoffman's forum.

:indeed:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6553 on: September 01, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
I still have not done my taxes and the guy is coming Wednesday :o
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen