Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249873 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #6315 on: July 30, 2008, 10:52:15 PM »
Of all the bizarre things to go wrong with a guy... this latest one may very well have given my cat FLEAS.

I find it pretty funny now but will much more so when the cat isn't going crazy and I'm not quite so disgusted.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6316 on: July 30, 2008, 11:12:42 PM »
Of all the bizarre things to go wrong with a guy... this latest one may very well have given my cat FLEAS.

I find it pretty funny now but will much more so when the cat isn't going crazy and I'm not quite so disgusted.

He gave the cat fleas or his cat gave your cat fleas?

If it's the former, YUCK!

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6317 on: July 30, 2008, 11:17:28 PM »

He gave the cat fleas or his cat gave your cat fleas?

If it's the former, YUCK!
The former!!!!  I think the issue was him comgin over right after being in the woods or something like that; he's actually pretty well-groomed for a guy.  I'm not disgusted by him (at least, not because of that- all men are disgusting of course), but I'm pretty grossed out that the cat has fleas.  I don't think Prozac is very happy with the situation right now either.  I must buy anti-flea stuff tomorrow.  Frontline was reccommended to me by a friend; the only drawback being that the cat will be "greasy."  I can deal with "greasy" over "infested" and damn day of the week.

...I didn't realize that I should be giving this guy fleas baths instead of showering with him.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6318 on: July 30, 2008, 11:44:52 PM »
I think that you will have to de-flea your apartment as well as Prozac.

Gross!

I have never heard of anyone becoming infested with fleas from going into the woods, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

http://www.fleascontrol.com/fleas-travel-with-humans.htm

"I have a problem with fleas. My stepson's cat brought them into the house and even though i have gotten rid of the cat (and the stepson) I cannot seem to get rid of the fleas.

i have bombed. this works for about a day.

i have dusted with Diatomaceous Earth but after two day i went down stairs (finished with a half cellar) and got about 20 on my legs (all little)

How long does it take for the Diatomaceous Earth to work?

I have contained them downstairs for now but i want them out.

please please help

thank you"

From what you're describing, it sounds like you have been killing the adults but not the eggs and larva. You said that all the fleas that jumped on you were little, which means that they are younger and recently turned into adults. That's a good thing for you, because if you don't have any grown adults, you don't have any new eggs - and it's a matter of waiting it out. Fleas start out as eggs, then turn into larva, then pupa (they live in a little cocoon), and then they finally come out whenever they sense footsteps, movement, or heat nearby. That whole process usually takes three weeks to a month.

It's tough to tell how effective your flea bomb was because the brands can vary and there are some cheaper ones out there. It may not have gotten down into the cellar if that is the only place you are still seeing fleas. As for the diatomaceous earth, that can ONLY kill adults. They die when they jump or crawl across it - so eggs and fleas sitting in their cocoons waiting for you to come by won't die until they actually come out, which is likely why you saw a whole bunch come after you when you went down there. You were the first meal to come by, so they all jumped out after it.

If you don't do anything else, because you've gotten rid of the cat, you will most likely see your flea problem go away about three weeks to a month after you used the diatomaceous soil and the flea bomb. That's because while you have no new eggs, you have to wait for all the existing eggs, larvae, and pupae to grow up and die. With no meal to feed on, a young flea will die in about a week.

You can try a couple of things to speed that up: 1) if you're only seeing them in the basement, you should vacuum down there. The reason for that is that the heat will speed up the life cycle - it causes the fleas to hatch early. You could dust again with the earth so that there's still some down there after it gets sucked up by the vacuum. 2) You could also try bombing down there as well. Diatomaceous earth will kill any new adults, but only after they come out of their cocoons, and they won't do that unless they feel heat or movement.
* Callaway can't stop thinking about fleas now and thinking about fleas makes her itch all over.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6319 on: July 31, 2008, 08:09:55 AM »
Lol- Callaway, don't make me more paranoid!  I've gotten advice (from someone with mad pet experience) that frontline should work if I'm not at full infestation and I need to think that or I'll go crazy.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6320 on: July 31, 2008, 03:06:19 PM »
I think that you will have to de-flea your apartment as well as Prozac.

Gross!

I have never heard of anyone becoming infested with fleas from going into the woods, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

It is actually quite common around here. It mainly becomes a problem when we have dry summers, which this one has certainly NOT been. I would nickname this one, The Year Of The Spider.

BTW, Frontline really does work well, but Callaway is right. Once the fleas have been inside the house they nest in the carpet and other soft areas. 

While the Frontline will then continue to protect your cat from the future generations of fleas for about three months, your own blood will then become a make-do meal for the growing little buggers. You will need to have your home treated to kill their eggs, if you want an immediate solution. I have read that the specific flea species which attack each animal is unique, but that only means that, in order to thrive, they need to feed on the type of animal their own DNA calls for. They will still try to feed off US, when they can't get to the food they want.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:10:07 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6321 on: July 31, 2008, 03:20:01 PM »
Fucking computer is still giving me the shits.

I'll whip this bad boy into shape sooner or later, but it's gonna fucking kill me in the process.

Basicly I've have to keep changing Anti-Virus and Firewalls until I get a combination that plays well together and doesn't fuck my shit up by crashing, hanging or messing with my web surfing.

Clam AV and the old Sygate firewall work OK together.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6322 on: July 31, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »
My feet hurt
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6323 on: July 31, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »
My head hurts and my computer is misbehaving.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6324 on: August 01, 2008, 07:55:59 AM »
Eh, well, I vaccuumed everything and did a major wash; with any luck in a couple more days the fleas will at least be greatly reduced; I'll do another major wash and vaccuum in a couple days.  I know some are living off of my blood but I have a friend who's been successful with solely frontline and no bomb so I'm hopeful.

Poor Zac seems to have taken refuge atop the fridge.  Looks like he's resting.  I hope he feels better soon- I swear to god, yesterday the fleas got far more vicious after I put frontline on him, like they blamed him for signing their death warrants!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6325 on: August 01, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »
My machine at work broke down with just 20 minutes left and I had to drive twenty miles to borrow an other to get the job done
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

thepeaguy

« Reply #6326 on: August 02, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »
Eh, well, I vaccuumed everything and did a major wash.

Wife material.  :-*

Poor Zac seems to have taken refuge atop the fridge.  Looks like he's resting.  I hope he feels better soon- I swear to god, yesterday the fleas got far more vicious after I put frontline on him, like they blamed him for signing their death warrants!

Eh, I got no sympathy for cats, especially male ones. They're all cutey indoors, vicious killers and rapists outside.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6327 on: August 02, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
Eh, well, I vaccuumed everything and did a major wash.

Wife material.  :-*
Because I'd replace a guy's mother?

Yeah, sounds like what I'd marry.

Eh, I got no sympathy for cats, especially male ones. They're all cutey indoors, vicious killers and rapists outside.
Just the opposite of human males!!!

Except Zac is cutety no matter what because he's had his nuts removed.

thepeaguy

« Reply #6328 on: August 02, 2008, 10:18:22 AM »

Humans reflect on their actions, animals don't. They operate on primal urges.

This is where I'll say "Show me yours and I'll show you mine."

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6329 on: August 02, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »

Women reflect on their actions, men don't. They operate on primal urges.
Fixed.

This is where I'll say "Show me yours and I'll show you mine."

[/quote]
I don't want to see your nuts, though.