Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 251333 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #6255 on: July 20, 2008, 03:10:52 AM »
I set my computer to do a boot-time chkdsk last night, and it was at 40% on 'verifying file data' (stage 4 of 5) when I woke up (it's processing a half-full 1TB drive), but it's not budged by a single percentage point in the past 2 hours.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6256 on: July 20, 2008, 03:12:23 AM »
Oh wait, it just crawled to 41% there when I molested the keyboard.  At this rate, it'll be done in a couple of weeks.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #6257 on: July 20, 2008, 05:10:08 AM »
I know how you feel, you have my sympathy.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6258 on: July 20, 2008, 10:15:51 AM »
chkdsk is such a slow tool. I seem to remember tere are alternatives, but I can't find any info on what those would be... I used a Linux-based live distro to check a hard drive with XP on, but I can't find a link right now. :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6259 on: July 20, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »
Would knoppix do?  I've got it on a bootable CD.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6260 on: July 20, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »
Would knoppix do?  I've got it on a bootable CD.

Try System Rescue CD. That's the one I was thinking about. I don't think Knoppix comes with all the tools you need to check & fix Windows disks.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6261 on: July 20, 2008, 10:52:29 AM »
Thanks; I'll run it tonight and see if it finishes before I wake up.  My other option is to stick the drive into an old machine that I have lying around, using a SATA>IDE adapter that I have, and leave it to run for however long it takes so that I don't lose the use of my main machine for the duration.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6262 on: July 20, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »
Good luck. :)

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6263 on: July 21, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »
I'm sexually frustrated, and I'm getting a bit :twitch: from it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6264 on: July 21, 2008, 05:20:03 PM »
Got a big bruise on my leg from my trailer hitch then the speech from my wife how normal people would stop and put ice on it instead of just continue working ::)
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #6265 on: July 21, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »
Fucking Opera is being a piece of shit and not loading pages right or not loading them at all, and its just on my fucking computer.

Fuckety fuck fuck.

Gonna have to use FireFox  :finger:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6266 on: July 21, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »
My car is going to cost almost seven hundred bucks to fix.

:hair:

I have been having problems with the battery losing voltage. I have narrowed it down to a set of relays associated with the safety door locks which work when the car's transmission is in "Drive."  They activate intermittently when the car is parked and the battery runs down after a few hours.

There are two expensive relays and a little "computer controlled switching circuit" which must be replaced.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:49:38 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6267 on: July 21, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »
Ugh, that sucks. Shame you can't just disconnect the relevant circuit and operate the door locks manually.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6268 on: July 22, 2008, 12:14:12 AM »
Ugh, that sucks. Shame you can't just disconnect the relevant circuit and operate the door locks manually.

Tried that first, of course.
I thought the same thing, but the entire safety feature system is interconnected, with seatbelt detection, brake and running lamps, door "ajar" detection, airbags, windshield wipers, warning lamps in the dashboard, and even the anti-lock braking system is controlled by this little black box of shite. The computer works all the time, that's no problem, but it's gone nuts and it operates things when it should let them sleep. It is the activation of the relays for the locks and the interior lights which is running down the battery.

If I want wipers or brake lights, I have to fix the little brain that makes it all work. This was my final conclusion after some troubleshooting and the mechanic (good guy, known him for years. He knows I am a car-keeper and that he does not have to get rich off me today. I trust him.) confirmed it today, but I have a case of "stickershock", just the same.

... and I repeat   :hair:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:46:54 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6269 on: July 22, 2008, 04:46:16 AM »
I have an earache (I think) and a headache.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae