Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249994 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #5985 on: June 07, 2008, 08:10:46 AM »
Went to the doctor and got about the nastiest prescription cough medicine I ever tasted

What kind did you get??  Terpin Hydrate or something else with Codeine in it!?? 

Something with codeine in it Robotussin AC it's vile

Thats the codeine, and unfortunately there's no way you can hide the taste!  Quite frankly, I'd follow that with a flavored brandy chaser just to wash the taste out your mouth!   :P
There are those capsules you get that hide the taste. I once made the mistake of biting into one...

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5986 on: June 07, 2008, 02:37:54 PM »
WTF? No internet from the new pooter, all of a sudden. :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5987 on: June 07, 2008, 02:40:41 PM »
WTF? No internet from the new pooter, all of a sudden. :-\

i had that today, which was no fun, given my marking depends on internet access.

i sorted it, though, and i only had to threaten to kick the bloody machine.  ;D

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5988 on: June 07, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »
I wish my torrent would download faster; I know this is the peak time for internet usage, but 1kB/s on a line that's supposedly capable of 500kB/s, with a swarm composed of 86 seeds and 232 peers is ridiculous.  My non-torrent downloads consistently manage 150-250kB/s, so BT must be slowing down torrent traffic, but I have utorrent set to use encryption, which I thought was supposed to get around traffic shaping.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #5989 on: June 07, 2008, 05:08:47 PM »
I wish my torrent would download faster; I know this is the peak time for internet usage, but 1kB/s on a line that's supposedly capable of 500kB/s, with a swarm composed of 86 seeds and 232 peers is ridiculous.  My non-torrent downloads consistently manage 150-250kB/s, so BT must be slowing down torrent traffic, but I have utorrent set to use encryption, which I thought was supposed to get around traffic shaping.
Have you tried torrenting another file and seeing if its faster? It could be the particular swarm...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5990 on: June 07, 2008, 05:33:39 PM »

Fake torrent, maybe?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5991 on: June 07, 2008, 05:56:52 PM »

Fake torrent, maybe?

No, it's real.  I've got one file finished so far.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5992 on: June 07, 2008, 06:01:35 PM »
Have you tried torrenting another file and seeing if its faster? It could be the particular swarm...

I doubt it would help; this is business as usual on my internet service.  Sometimes it picks up after 3-4am and manages anything from 50kB/s to 250kB/s, but in the evenings it usually runs like treacle, regardless of which torrent it is and what the swarm's like.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5993 on: June 08, 2008, 01:56:30 AM »
between 07.00 and now is a good time, cos it's not so busy, yet there are still loads of seeds and peers.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #5994 on: June 08, 2008, 05:30:42 AM »

I doubt it would help; this is business as usual on my internet service.  Sometimes it picks up after 3-4am and manages anything from 50kB/s to 250kB/s, but in the evenings it usually runs like treacle, regardless of which torrent it is and what the swarm's like.
Try running an internet speed test on loop, its sure to wind up the ISP. Or reset your router to get a new IP, that can often work if they are targeting certain lines.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5995 on: June 08, 2008, 10:54:32 AM »

Try running an internet speed test on loop, its sure to wind up the ISP. Or reset your router to get a new IP, that can often work if they are targeting certain lines.

I have a static IP.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5996 on: June 08, 2008, 11:31:13 AM »
BEES :o
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #5997 on: June 08, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »

I have a static IP.
Number one tends to be rather effective, Virgin have started behaving back home recently. No guarantee that it will work for you...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5999 on: June 09, 2008, 06:20:00 AM »
Tested it just there and got these results:

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved minimal 308 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved maximal 338 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 3565 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 3940 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (4711) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 307 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 351 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 2031 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 2049 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 3565 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 2031 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 308 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 307 Kbps. You can find details here.

Downstream Bandwidth:     4249 Kbps           *     Downstream Queue:     320 ms
*    Upstream Bandwidth:    396 Kbps         *    Upstream Queue:    3212 ms
Notes:

* Your downstream bandwidth is more than 10 times faster than your upstream bandwidth.

* Your downstream queue is larger than 300ms and thus larger than average round-trip times in the Internet (e.g., 50ms for US coast-to-coast delays and 150ms for transatlantic delays) which is the recommended size for queues.

* Your upstream queue is so large that packets can get delayed for more than a second. This can be a problem for real-time traffic such as VoIP or online games!

I'll run it again at various points and see if it changes depending on the time and day.