Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249986 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #1845 on: August 23, 2007, 03:12:46 PM »
Are all of these acronyms real???
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1846 on: August 23, 2007, 03:15:15 PM »
Tesla made that shit up.

I am just wondering if Peter has MAC filtering or uses WEP (I hope he has some type of security).   If he doesn't broadcast his router's SSID then his messenger won't even be able to see the router.   I am guessing he is using some type of encryption key that the messenger doesn't support.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1847 on: August 23, 2007, 03:28:47 PM »
I got an HP iPAQ hw6910 Mobile Messenger and I'm trying to get it to connect wirelessly to my router, but it's not happening.

And you've checked that the relevant ports are open?

I don't know how to do that.

Usually there are settings for ports in your router config pages. Not sure if that's relevant, though, in this case. I don't know enough about the iPAQ, or your router.

Have you used other WiFi devices with your router? Do you use some kind of encryption, like Alex is suggesting?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1848 on: August 23, 2007, 03:30:44 PM »
Tesla made that shit up.

I am just wondering if Peter has MAC filtering or uses WEP (I hope he has some type of security).   If he doesn't broadcast his router's SSID then his messenger won't even be able to see the router.   I am guessing he is using some type of encryption key that the messenger doesn't support.

I use MAC filtering; I added my iPAQ to the list of allowed MAC addresses, but it didn't do anything.  The iPAQ supports WEP encryption, but I can't find any encryption options on the router setup screens, so I don't know if it uses encryption, and if so, what encryption it uses.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1849 on: August 23, 2007, 03:31:46 PM »
I got an HP iPAQ hw6910 Mobile Messenger and I'm trying to get it to connect wirelessly to my router, but it's not happening.

And you've checked that the relevant ports are open?

I don't know how to do that.

Usually there are settings for ports in your router config pages. Not sure if that's relevant, though, in this case. I don't know enough about the iPAQ, or your router.

Have you used other WiFi devices with your router? Do you use some kind of encryption, like Alex is suggesting?

Mum connects to the router wirelessly from her laptop, and it works fine.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1850 on: August 23, 2007, 03:41:27 PM »
Most people who use MAC filtering don't bother with encryption.   If you added the MAC address of the iPAQ, then does the iPAQ even show your wireless network?   If you can't see the name of your network, then your SSID isn't being broadcasted (which is fine, but then you need to manually tell the iPAQ what your SSID is).   Most of the time it will tell you whether the SSIDs you have to choose from are encrypted networks or not.   Is there a list of detected networks on your iPAQ? 

The security tab under wireless would tell you about encryption, most likely you use WEP if anything (PK2 personal or just regular WEP).   Well it depends on what brand router you have, as far as finding where the encryption settings are on the html router setup page.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1851 on: August 23, 2007, 03:52:24 PM »
Most people who use MAC filtering don't bother with encryption.   If you added the MAC address of the iPAQ, then does the iPAQ even show your wireless network?   If you can't see the name of your network, then your SSID isn't being broadcasted (which is fine, but then you need to manually tell the iPAQ what your SSID is).   Most of the time it will tell you whether the SSIDs you have to choose from are encrypted networks or not.   Is there a list of detected networks on your iPAQ? 

The security tab under wireless would tell you about encryption, most likely you use WEP if anything (PK2 personal or just regular WEP).   Well it depends on what brand router you have, as far as finding where the encryption settings are on the html router setup page.

The iPAQ shows the router, along with a bunch of surrounding routers with weaker signals.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1852 on: August 23, 2007, 04:00:18 PM »
hey, anybody remember Y2K, eh?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1853 on: August 23, 2007, 04:02:55 PM »
Ah so the SSID is broadcasted.   It should ask for a WEP key or some type of encryption then after you try to connect to your router.   If you have connected devices to this router before for the first time, you would know whether there was a WEP key or some other type of encryption.   Whether it uses encryption or not should be on the router's wireless security page (MAC filtering is not just wireless).   

Ports being blocked wouldn't prevent getting access to the router itself, but it would prevent you from using certain programs over the net.   Like blocking telnet for example.   Is your mum the person who primarily configures the router?  She would know if there were any significant things like  a WEP key or specific ports being blocked (most people don't block any ports at home).

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1854 on: August 23, 2007, 04:39:02 PM »
Ah so the SSID is broadcasted.   It should ask for a WEP key or some type of encryption then after you try to connect to your router.   If you have connected devices to this router before for the first time, you would know whether there was a WEP key or some other type of encryption.   Whether it uses encryption or not should be on the router's wireless security page (MAC filtering is not just wireless).   

Ports being blocked wouldn't prevent getting access to the router itself, but it would prevent you from using certain programs over the net.   Like blocking telnet for example.   Is your mum the person who primarily configures the router?  She would know if there were any significant things like  a WEP key or specific ports being blocked (most people don't block any ports at home).

I manage the router, but I've looked through every setting I can find, and there's nothing for encryption.  The iPAQ doesn't even ask me if I want to connect to it.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #1855 on: August 23, 2007, 04:43:44 PM »
hey, anybody remember Y2K, eh?
I missed all the planes falling out the sky...  :P

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1856 on: August 23, 2007, 04:46:47 PM »
I manage the router, but I've looked through every setting I can find, and there's nothing for encryption.  The iPAQ doesn't even ask me if I want to connect to it.

You can't select the router by its SSID and connect?   That is strange, how are you judging whether you are really connected to it or not?   Are there any routers nearby that can be connected to without encryption?   That will test to see if you can connect to someone else's router at least (look for ones with default settings and SSIDs like Linksys and such).    That and double check the MAC address just to be safe.  I have never used an iPAQ before, sounds like a fun device haha.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1857 on: August 23, 2007, 05:18:18 PM »

You can't select the router by its SSID and connect?   That is strange, how are you judging whether you are really connected to it or not?   Are there any routers nearby that can be connected to without encryption?   That will test to see if you can connect to someone else's router at least (look for ones with default settings and SSIDs like Linksys and such).    That and double check the MAC address just to be safe.  I have never used an iPAQ before, sounds like a fun device haha.

I've checked the MAC address, and it's fine.  The iPAQ displays the wifi icon as orange when networks are available but it's not connected to them and green when it's connected to them, but it's staying orange for me, and when I try to access websites, I get an error.  I get an error when I try to connect to my router's html setup page too.  When I click on a router on the screen, instead of connecting me to it, it opens a setup screen with these options:

General
"Network name: (text box)"
"Connects to: work, internet"
"This is a device to device (ad-hoc) connection: yes/no (blanked out regardless of what I put for the previous two options).

Network Key
"Authentication: open, shared, WPA, WPA-PSK"
"Data encryption: disabled, WEP, TKIP"
"The key is automatically provided: yes/no"
"Network key: (text box)"
"Key index: 1-4"

Configure Network Authentication:
"Use IEEE 802.1x network access control: yes/no"
"EAP type: PEAP, Smart card or certificate"
"Properties" (clicking on this gives the message "Warning: Cannot log on to the wireless network.  This network requires a personal certificate to positively identify you", but the option to click on it is only there when the "Use IEEE" checkbox is checked.)

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #1858 on: August 23, 2007, 07:20:29 PM »

I've checked the MAC address, and it's fine.  The iPAQ displays the wifi icon as orange when networks are available but it's not connected to them and green when it's connected to them, but it's staying orange for me, and when I try to access websites, I get an error.  I get an error when I try to connect to my router's html setup page too.  When I click on a router on the screen, instead of connecting me to it, it opens a setup screen with these options:

General
"Network name: (text box)"
"Connects to: work, internet"
"This is a device to device (ad-hoc) connection: yes/no (blanked out regardless of what I put for the previous two options).

Network Key
"Authentication: open, shared, WPA, WPA-PSK"
"Data encryption: disabled, WEP, TKIP"
"The key is automatically provided: yes/no"
"Network key: (text box)"
"Key index: 1-4"

Configure Network Authentication:
"Use IEEE 802.1x network access control: yes/no"
"EAP type: PEAP, Smart card or certificate"
"Properties" (clicking on this gives the message "Warning: Cannot log on to the wireless network.  This network requires a personal certificate to positively identify you", but the option to click on it is only there when the "Use IEEE" checkbox is checked.)

Oh god, you're making me relive nightmares.  Windows Mobile has/had the WORST network configuration menus.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1859 on: August 23, 2007, 08:46:35 PM »
I figured out how to tell it to connect; I have to hold the stylus on the router icon for a while until it brings up the option.  Unfortunately, it's still not connecting.