Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106536 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #5520 on: March 02, 2009, 08:33:30 PM »
DJ Shadow/Keak da Sneak--3 Freaks (Droop-E Remix)
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5521 on: March 02, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »
Simple Minds--The American. Classic jam.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5522 on: March 02, 2009, 09:41:49 PM »
Peter gabriel--In Your Eyes

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5523 on: March 02, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »
SPK--Metal Dance

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5524 on: March 02, 2009, 09:54:59 PM »
PiL--This Is Not A Love Song

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5525 on: March 02, 2009, 10:13:59 PM »
Soundgarden--Jesus Christ Pose

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5526 on: March 02, 2009, 10:38:49 PM »
Joy Division--Transmission

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5527 on: March 02, 2009, 10:45:43 PM »
ESG--Moody

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5528 on: March 02, 2009, 11:07:23 PM »
Partly out of sheer ignorance and partly out of a well defined interest in classical recordings of particular works on high quality vinyl, I bought a Deutsche Grammophon recording, pressed on heavy vinyl in Japan from the early nineties (I discovered after some research, but I literally bought it BECAUSE it was "heavy"  in addition to it being one of the musical works I collect).

The album set is Beethoven's Symphony No. 8 and Symphony No. 9, by von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic, in 1977 and 1983.
As cool as all that is, I paid three bucks. It has dust on the jacket from being abandoned on a shelf for some time, but the discs appear to be new and sound absolutely amazing.

It is not the audio critic's choice for the best performance or the best recording, but seriously, how does one disregard or even knock Beethoven, performed by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by an Austrian master?!?
 :zombiefuck:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:09:55 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5529 on: March 03, 2009, 01:15:46 AM »
KING FUCKING CRIMSON--21st Century Schizoid Man

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5530 on: March 03, 2009, 01:19:08 AM »
Deutsche Grammaphon is THE label for classical releases. The primary reason I love Mahler's symphonies is the DG releases of Herbert von Karajan w/ the Berlin Philharmonic. I know that, as a youth, he was associated with the HitlerJungen but IMO he made up for with his recordings of Mahler's symphonies.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5531 on: March 03, 2009, 01:20:37 AM »
King Crimson--21st Century Schizoid Man

TheoK

« Reply #5532 on: March 03, 2009, 01:45:33 AM »
I have all Beethoven's symphonies, played by the Berlin Philharmonics and conducted by von Karajan - bought on place in Germany, of course.  8)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5533 on: March 03, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Bruce Springsteen - State Trooper
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5534 on: March 03, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »
Deutsche Grammaphon is THE label for classical releases. The primary reason I love Mahler's symphonies is the DG releases of Herbert von Karajan w/ the Berlin Philharmonic. I know that, as a youth, he was associated with the HitlerJungen but IMO he made up for with his recordings of Mahler's symphonies.
I have collected all the Colti performances (Chicago Symphony Orchestra - one of which is extremely valuable to the typical completist collector)
I also have a very rare Furtwangler performance on a collection of 78 rpm albums from the early forties - it's not the historical private performance for "you know who,"  but it is still somewhat rare.

I've managed a few of the Shaw, one Klemperer, an ancient Weingartner (CD), one from Sir John Gardiner (which is particularly Hi-fi) and several by LSO, with various conductors at the helm.

Interestingly, many of the performances of Beethoven I have on CD were recorded in olden days, but never at all released until the turn of the century and the resurgence of popularity in classical music by the unwashed masses.

We can thank the popularity of the modern Hip-hop subculture (and the willful rejection of that entire genre by enough average folk to make a difference) for the availability of this set of treasures, I believe. Had it not been for people looking for "real"  music in the nineties, the labels would have yet to open their vaults and allow the exposure and purchase of the majority of these tremendous concerts from the fifties, sixties and seventies.
I wonder what more they  still hold back from us, to this day.

BTW, I'm only talking about Beethoven's Symphony No. 9.
I have quite a number of other classical recordings, as well, many of which are on LP.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:52:49 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.