Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106588 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #5400 on: January 16, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »
Dead Kennedys--Nazi Punks Fuck Off
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:53:48 PM by punkdrew »
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5401 on: January 16, 2009, 07:48:38 PM »
Oh man, Trespass is one of the best
albums of all time. No way Collins
could have done that.

He's pop. That's it, really.

You are forgetting his production efforts.

BTW, I consider Trespass  to be one of the most overlooked albums of the era. If you are going back to the beginning of Genesis, though, you won't find Phil's influence. When he came along, Genesis was practically dead and he brought it back, sort of, from a stretcher.  Trespass helped a lot, but he was out of that loop, as far as I know.

See, if you knew a bit more about how record labels controlled the business in the seventies and eighties it would be clear to you how and why he made the effort. Just the fact that he was able to bring them back to life is amazing to me, commercial interests or not.

Trespass is an amazing album. Nursery Cryme is also great, but sounds like it was recorded through speakers with pillows taped to them. And I haven't been able to find a decent remaster of Trespass-the MCA CD leaves no space between tracks and fades out(!) the ending of "Stagnation." WTF????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

I don't agree with you that Phil brought Genesis back to life. But he did give the band a much-needed kick in the pants. BTW, John Mayhew (the drummer on Trespass) is alive and well and living in australia. I do have to agree with Trespass producer John Anthony when he said that "(Mayhew) wasn't giving them time, he was following theirs." BIG mistake for a drummer.

I was referring to commercial "life,"  'drew. Making money with one's preferred craft. (Using a guitar and keyboard for painting, instead of a scaffolding and paint brush)
I totally agree that the original sound was lost, but a new "sub-generation"  of listeners were once again enchanted and asked Daddy for money to buy the new "Genesis" albums.
(that was all before I ever met him and realized what an incredible force (good or bad - debatable ...  powerful - not really debatable) he truly was.) 

I have a large amount of respect for him, despite the fact that some of his music makes me cringe and slap at the controls when I hear it. I was once a professional and I still have an open mind, but it slams shut quickly, too. 

I respect him as a drummer and singer. I think Genesis would have been poorer without him. (I wish Anthony Phillips had stayed, but Steve Hackett was just as good while having a diffrent technique on electric guitar.) I liked Phil's first solo album and still do, esp. "Hand in Hand" and his version of "Tomorrow Never Knows." As far as production, he did great work with John Martyn and Eric Clapton in the 1980s.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5402 on: January 16, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »
Dead Kennedys--We've Got A Bigger Problem Now

Scary how young Jello looks like Ben Affleck.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5403 on: January 17, 2009, 07:11:07 PM »
Peter Gabriel--Intruder

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5404 on: January 17, 2009, 07:24:19 PM »
Peter gabriel--No Self-Control

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5405 on: January 18, 2009, 04:37:44 PM »
I've been listening to Stones all day.  :headbang2:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5406 on: January 18, 2009, 04:53:52 PM »
I've been listening to Stones all day.  :headbang2:

I've been listening to/trying to ignore SHIT all day. (... at work)

I'm playing The Who, now ...
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5407 on: January 18, 2009, 04:55:25 PM »
Wish I had more by The Who. Hmm. Maybe it's time to, er, acquire some.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5408 on: January 18, 2009, 05:17:04 PM »

As far as my online research can reveal, I have it all.

... although not as a Completist type of enthusiast. There are many remasters, remixes, re-releases, alternate versions that I have ignored for the sake of my own sanity. The same goes for much of my collection.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5409 on: January 18, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »
Magazine--The Light Pours Out Of Me

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5410 on: January 18, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »
Magazine--Give Me Everything

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5411 on: January 19, 2009, 11:10:05 PM »
Burst--Cripple God

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5412 on: January 20, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »

Going through much of John McLaughlin's  work, including the first three "Mahavishnu Orchestra" releases.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5413 on: January 20, 2009, 11:14:24 PM »
Mahavishnu is AWESOME. I Have Birds of Fire and The Inner Mounting Flame on CD. I also love his guitar work on Miles' In A Silent Way and  the Jack Johnson soundtrack.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5414 on: January 20, 2009, 11:33:50 PM »
Roky Erickson--The Interpreter