Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106790 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #4575 on: April 30, 2008, 04:31:35 PM »
All kinds of early music, and some Debussy piano works for good measure. I really, really, really love early music. :heart:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4576 on: May 01, 2008, 03:40:44 AM »
All kinds of early music, and some Debussy piano works for good measure. I really, really, really love early music. :heart:

Do you mean Renaissance instrumentation?  If so, then we have something in common. I love it!

I have a flute that my father restored from the early seventeen hundreds, designed and built to play that era of music. It's type is one of the earliest creations in grenadilla wood. It is solid wood, except for the eight fingers keys, which are silver.

Punchline? It has the name Buffet Crampon clearly carved into the head joint, by a steady hand.

In other words, it was the cream of the crop in its day, handmade by the preeminent masters of their crafts.

On a personal note:  I have a difficult time trying to play it, because it sounds so incredibly beautiful that it bring tears to my eyes and I choke up from the amazing tones it produces. Someone else will have to play it so I can just cry.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:46:03 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4577 on: May 01, 2008, 05:06:18 AM »

Do you mean Renaissance instrumentation?  If so, then we have something in common. I love it!

I have a flute that my father restored from the early seventeen hundreds, designed and built to play that era of music. It's type is one of the earliest creations in grenadilla wood. It is solid wood, except for the eight fingers keys, which are silver.

Punchline? It has the name Buffet Crampon clearly carved into the head joint, by a steady hand.

In other words, it was the cream of the crop in its day, handmade by the preeminent masters of their crafts.

On a personal note:  I have a difficult time trying to play it, because it sounds so incredibly beautiful that it bring tears to my eyes and I choke up from the amazing tones it produces. Someone else will have to play it so I can just cry.

that sounds just like me, dawg.  tell you what, i've managed to get a tune out of a flute, so i'll learn to play it properly, and play that beautiful thing for you.

oh, and some of it is renaissance, a lot of it earlier (mediaeval :heart: ), some instrumental, some vocal, and some a mixture of both.  if you want a copy, let me know.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4578 on: May 01, 2008, 06:12:28 AM »

that sounds just like me, dawg.  tell you what, i've managed to get a tune out of a flute, so i'll learn to play it properly, and play that beautiful thing for you.

oh, and some of it is renaissance, a lot of it earlier (mediaeval :heart: ), some instrumental, some vocal, and some a mixture of both.  if you want a copy, let me know.

That sounds promising.

One other reason I will never part with the flute is that it was missing a key when my father got it. I was a young teen, but I had been working with him for about four years. I had learned a good deal about handcrafting of metals, annealing in order to bend and produce specific shapes using soft metals and hammering and burnishing for temper so they will end up hard enough to keep their shape once they are finished. I also did some of the preliminary silver soldering on the key he made. We made it out of twelve Roosevelt dimes (oh, yeah!) and one Washington quarter, which are not sterling, but ninety percent. There is a slight difference in that key's color.

No harm really, but seeing my dad commit a Federal Offense (defacing coinage) in order to pursue the resurrection of a musical instrument from the forgotten dead, was a life changing event to me.

:D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 06:23:37 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4579 on: May 01, 2008, 06:17:50 AM »
sounds perfectly reasonable to me.   :thumbup:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4580 on: May 01, 2008, 02:36:05 PM »

It's fab, DD, trust me on this.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Online Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4581 on: May 02, 2008, 03:59:24 PM »
Roger Waters - 5:01 AM
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4582 on: May 02, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »
Cocteau Twins - Victorialand

- Albert Einstein

Offline Hiphop Grandma

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4583 on: May 04, 2008, 05:48:15 AM »
Pussy Galore - Dick Johnson

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4584 on: May 04, 2008, 02:25:38 PM »
Björk

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4585 on: May 04, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »
various ambient/fusion/middle eastern stuff (café arabesque) earlier, just finished listening to tabla beat science, more fusion - tabla plus electronica.

Offline Hiphop Grandma

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4586 on: May 05, 2008, 01:27:41 AM »
ESG - Moody  :dance:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4587 on: May 05, 2008, 01:19:19 PM »
Cocteau Twins

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4588 on: May 17, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4589 on: May 17, 2008, 02:49:51 PM »
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

would that be dedicated to me?   :eyelash: