Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 107060 times)

duncvis

Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #4335 on: April 04, 2008, 02:14:37 AM »
the nolan sisters' complete catalogue.

no-one noticed my liddle joke.  :'(

I did. :smarty:

Assemblage 23 - Defiance

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4336 on: April 04, 2008, 02:15:11 AM »
the nolan sisters' complete catalogue.

no-one noticed my liddle joke.  :'(

I did. :smarty:

bet you were humming along, then.  :laugh:

duncvis

« Reply #4337 on: April 04, 2008, 02:16:19 AM »
I even borrowed Sir Les's mirror suit and white shoes.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4338 on: April 04, 2008, 02:26:22 AM »
stop it!  it's too early in the day for such appalling images.  :bigcry:

duncvis

« Reply #4339 on: April 04, 2008, 03:14:05 AM »
VNV Nation - Judgement

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4340 on: April 04, 2008, 05:33:03 AM »
What kind of setup do you have to rip your vinyl?

I listed all my gear once before.

I blame my goldfish's brain. :P

Very cool setup, Dawg.
* odeon wants it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Kosmonaut

« Reply #4341 on: April 04, 2008, 08:05:54 AM »
Stereolab - Dots and Loops

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4342 on: April 04, 2008, 09:54:31 AM »
What kind of setup do you have to rip your vinyl?

I listed all my gear once before.

I blame my goldfish's brain. :P

Very cool setup, Dawg.
* odeon wants it.

It is just the stuff I already had, combined with a soundcard I could afford that wasn't too much of a compromise to tolerate.

If I started from scratch to put together a system specifically for ripping, today, I would make other choices. I would center the system around HD playback, mainly.

There are simple solutions available for this process, also. You can get a turntable with AD conversion and equalisation built-in which has only a USB for an output.

The center of my analog setup is the turntable system itself, though. I'm planning to add another tonearm to my base. I think the vintage Dual arms were really good, but the modern tonearms have many more adjustments to eliminate some of the obstacles to fidelity inherent to LP playback. Imagine adjusting the cartridge angles with a set of screws, instead of having to rely on shims.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 10:00:01 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #4343 on: April 04, 2008, 10:56:31 AM »
She Wants Revenge - She Wants Revenge

Kosmonaut

« Reply #4344 on: April 04, 2008, 11:47:33 AM »
Hayden Live at Convocation Hall.

duncvis

« Reply #4345 on: April 04, 2008, 12:07:26 PM »
Project Pitchfork - Eon:Eon

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4346 on: April 04, 2008, 12:20:50 PM »
Trip to the store took quite a bite out of my ambition, actually, but I'm still ripping.

Axis: Bold As Love
  is going on next.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:50:16 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4347 on: April 04, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
She Wants Revenge - She Wants Revenge

Project Pitchfork - Eon:Eon

so good they named them twice?

:laugh:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4348 on: April 04, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
There are simple solutions available for this process, also. You can get a turntable with AD conversion and equalisation built-in which has only a USB for an output.

I'm interested in one of those but I worry about the quality of the pickup.

The center of my analog setup is the turntable system itself, though. I'm planning to add another tonearm to my base. I think the vintage Dual arms were really good, but the modern tonearms have many more adjustments to eliminate some of the obstacles to fidelity inherent to LP playback. Imagine adjusting the cartridge angles with a set of screws, instead of having to rely on shims.

Yeah. I've not seen modern arms, though. I like Dual turntables--I used to like mostly everything they did and had a portable cassette player made by them in the 80s, with great sound.

There's a Denon turntable that I want, that includes a RIAA filter. Or a slightly more expensive one from Cambridge. Thinking about buying one of those. Both have RCA output, no USB, but I have a terrific old preamp. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4349 on: April 04, 2008, 04:43:45 PM »

I'm interested in one of those but I worry about the quality of the pickup.

Yeah. I've not seen modern arms, though. I like Dual turntables--I used to like mostly everything they did and had a portable cassette player made by them in the 80s, with great sound.

There's a Denon turntable that I want, that includes a RIAA filter. Or a slightly more expensive one from Cambridge. Thinking about buying one of those. Both have RCA output, no USB, but I have a terrific old preamp. ;D

I think, if you have a killer preamp and a killer soundcard, you have the worst battle punked already. There are many turntables which will suffice, depending upon how sensitive you are to anomalies in the tracking of an LP/cartridge combo.

My problem is that I am very sensitive to phase, so I expect my shit to work really well. The same issues that impact all LP playback also affect those USB turntables. You can choose a cartridge/pick-up of your preference, but aligning it is still the major problem. The best one on the market does not have adequate adjustments for the four angles involved in aligning a cartridge to the plane of motion of a platter.

Show me the Denon you want and I'll show you the tonearm I plan to add as an secondary on my turntable base. I will then have the option of using either arm depending on what the program material is./

:D

I'll find a pic, anyway.

One of my long term plans is to build my own turntable, belt drive platter, two hundred pounds or what ever, seventeen inch tonearm, massive base leveled in sand, etc.etc....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:46:33 PM by DirtDawg »