Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 107024 times)

Kosmonaut

Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #2895 on: January 22, 2008, 07:01:01 AM »
Wedding Present - Complete Peel Sessions

duncvis

« Reply #2896 on: January 22, 2008, 08:59:56 AM »
will have to dig out my Wedding Present stuff.  8)

Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2897 on: January 22, 2008, 09:54:33 AM »
will have to dig out my Wedding Present stuff.  8)

Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists

Disturbed is reportedly mixing their new album, currently. It is due to be released in May.

As we speak ...
SlipKnoT, Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

Found this at the library, along with Soulfly, Prophecy. I plan to rip them for when my nu-metal bone itches.

:D

I have worked my ass off lately, making it easier to DIG for my music. I have it all cataloged onto four drives, finally.

The thought passed through just last night, barely noticed at first, that my collection of music is not only practically irreplaceable, it is quite valuable in a monetary sense. About one third of it could not be downloaded, but even at twenty five cents per song, it adds up to a horse-choking size wad of hundred dollar bills.
 :-\
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #2898 on: January 22, 2008, 11:12:29 AM »
Thats what I feel about my music collection.  I'm so glad that my wife bought me one of those stereo systems where you can burn your vinyl albums onto recordable cd's.   8)

Kosmonaut

« Reply #2899 on: January 22, 2008, 01:16:45 PM »
The Hold Steady live in Washington.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2900 on: January 22, 2008, 02:11:28 PM »
Thats what I feel about my music collection.  I'm so glad that my wife bought me one of those stereo systems where you can burn your vinyl albums onto recordable cd's.   8)

Those do make it convenient.

My set-up is a bit more hands-on than that. I come out of my vintage Dual turntable into my tube pre-amp and directly into my M-Audio soundcard. I usually play the entire album side and capture it as a .wav file. Then I use EAC to process the .wav file and separate it into individual tracks. Sometimes I eliminate a few of the worst clicks and pops, but I really don't get much of those, because I have kept my LPs in great shape.

I use the same procedure with my reel to reel tapes, except that I sometimes alter the equalization since the tapes were taken directly off my live mixing board during a concert. There is often a characteristic "house sound" recorded onto the tapes that reflects an inverse of the EQ corrections I need to make to restore a neutral sound. No problem, really. Simple EQ fixes that.

It works. In fact, it works very well. My LP rips, played back directly off the hard drive sound much better than a corresponding commercial CD would sound, even using my fancy Denon CD player. Of course, once I have the pure, uncompressed .wav file I can burn it directly to a CD, as a data disk for archiving or convert it to an audio disk as I burn. I can also compress it into an MP3 if I want, all using EAC. With the price of storage dropping so fast, I just leave them uncompressed.

Right now,  Mudvayne, The Beginning of All Things to End.  I'm in a alt/nu metal mood today.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 02:21:56 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #2901 on: January 22, 2008, 03:03:41 PM »

Those do make it convenient.

My set-up is a bit more hands-on than that. I come out of my vintage Dual turntable into my tube pre-amp and directly into my M-Audio soundcard. I usually play the entire album side and capture it as a .wav file. Then I use EAC to process the .wav file and separate it into individual tracks. Sometimes I eliminate a few of the worst clicks and pops, but I really don't get much of those, because I have kept my LPs in great shape.

I use the same procedure with my reel to reel tapes, except that I sometimes alter the equalization since the tapes were taken directly off my live mixing board during a concert. There is often a characteristic "house sound" recorded onto the tapes that reflects an inverse of the EQ corrections I need to make to restore a neutral sound. No problem, really. Simple EQ fixes that.

It works. In fact, it works very well. My LP rips, played back directly off the hard drive sound much better than a corresponding commercial CD would sound, even using my fancy Denon CD player. Of course, once I have the pure, uncompressed .wav file I can burn it directly to a CD, as a data disk for archiving or convert it to an audio disk as I burn. I can also compress it into an MP3 if I want, all using EAC. With the price of storage dropping so fast, I just leave them uncompressed.

Right now,  Mudvayne, The Beginning of All Things to End.  I'm in a alt/nu metal mood today.

**ozymandias turns green with envy and makes a note on DD's dossier.** :P

Seriously, I envy your technical skill and savvy at doing all that.   :)

duncvis

« Reply #2902 on: January 23, 2008, 03:46:20 PM »
The Cure - Faith

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2903 on: January 23, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »

I was home alone a while today. I had a jazz combo in the living room, it almost  seemed.

Now Charles Mingus, Three Or Four Shades Of Blues

duncvis

« Reply #2904 on: January 23, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »
Haujobb - Freeze Frame Reality

duncvis

« Reply #2905 on: January 24, 2008, 04:16:46 AM »
Assemblage 23 - Contempt

Kosmonaut

« Reply #2906 on: January 24, 2008, 08:30:01 AM »
Slayer - Reign In Blood  :headbang2:

duncvis

« Reply #2907 on: January 24, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »
Tanzwut

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2908 on: January 24, 2008, 11:48:28 AM »

Home alone and rocking out with some trippy Stuff.

Hawkwind, The Chronicle of the Black Sword

ozymandias

« Reply #2909 on: January 24, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »
White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane   :green: