Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106807 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #1815 on: October 09, 2007, 12:53:58 PM »

Hendrix kicked MAJOR fucking ass at Monterrey. What a fucking miracle mind he had.
I haven't turned it off since yesterday, except for the time I was at work.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #1816 on: October 09, 2007, 12:58:01 PM »
May as well stick some Jimi on myself.
Electric Ladyland.

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1817 on: October 09, 2007, 02:16:37 PM »

Hendrix kicked MAJOR fucking ass at Monterrey. What a fucking miracle mind he had.

Dawg, how does it compare to the Isle of Wight concert?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1818 on: October 09, 2007, 03:30:53 PM »
Electric Ladyland.

After Rainbow Bridge,  that is the ultimate Hendrix, in my view.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:33:42 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1819 on: October 09, 2007, 03:53:56 PM »

Dawg, how does it compare to the Isle of Wight concert?

I have researched Hendrix's life, ever since he died in September, nineteen seventy. I was a punk proto-emo kid who died a little that day, too. According to his critics of the day, Isle Of Wight is his least valid work. Realize that the Isle of wight concert occurred just nineteen days before he was found dead. He was on a downward slide to disstruction when Isle of Wight was recorded. He was at his best and worst at the same time.

Personally, I find Isle of Wight to be some of his best work, easily in the top five concerts, but I do recognize his turmoil, during this time. His last days, he experienced extreme agony, due to some dementia. He was very spiritual and convinced that the "New Sun Rising" was upon us. It was only moments away.

I think he jumped the gun. If he was alive, today, I would have met him by now and maybe shared some karma. He is my oldest love, since my mom.

If Isle of Wight was number five, the Monterrey concert is number four.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:03:36 PM by MarkingDawg »

Kosmonaut

« Reply #1820 on: October 09, 2007, 04:22:04 PM »
Ive not got much Hendrix tbh, just his studio albums, and he does seem much better live from what ive heard.
So tell us what number one, two and three are and i will have a look for them.
Cheers.

duncvis

« Reply #1821 on: October 09, 2007, 05:04:32 PM »
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #1822 on: October 09, 2007, 06:05:46 PM »
Electric Ladyland.

Monterrey, yes. I can't agree with you on Rainbow Bridge, however I used to have a rather shitty sounding soundboard bootleg of Jimi playing at Woodstock that was absolutely incredible.

FWIW, My uncle saw Jimi play one of his first dates upon returning to the US in 1968 at the Lewiston Armory in Lewiston, Maine. He and Noel were using a Sound City backline. Also, if you've seen the picture of Jimi's shadow on a backline of really trashed looking Marshall cabinets, my stepdad was at that show, which was in New Haven, Ct. --He said that they had this sort of brightly colored maze of fabric tubes in front of the stage that you could crawl around in.

Also, I believe that I've mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again, I think that the Hendrix Family remasters of all his old releases sounds horrible. They cleaned the recordings up to the point where all the recordings sound sterile and lifeless.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 06:08:41 PM by ASpHole »
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

duncvis

« Reply #1823 on: October 09, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »
A few BHG tracks. Shame their new stuff was so patchy, the older stuff was hilariously offensive.

duncvis

« Reply #1824 on: October 10, 2007, 03:04:22 AM »
The Cure - Seventeen Seconds

duncvis

« Reply #1825 on: October 10, 2007, 03:42:42 AM »
Dextro - Consequence Music

duncvis

« Reply #1826 on: October 10, 2007, 11:38:03 AM »
Snatching a bit of  VNV Nation - Futureperfect  while I can.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1827 on: October 10, 2007, 01:28:25 PM »
Electric Ladyland.

Monterrey, yes. I can't agree with you on Rainbow Bridge, however I used to have a rather shitty sounding soundboard bootleg of Jimi playing at Woodstock that was absolutely incredible.

FWIW, My uncle saw Jimi play one of his first dates upon returning to the US in 1968 at the Lewiston Armory in Lewiston, Maine. He and Noel were using a Sound City backline. Also, if you've seen the picture of Jimi's shadow on a backline of really trashed looking Marshall cabinets, my stepdad was at that show, which was in New Haven, Ct. --He said that they had this sort of brightly colored maze of fabric tubes in front of the stage that you could crawl around in.

Also, I believe that I've mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again, I think that the Hendrix Family remasters of all his old releases sounds horrible. They cleaned the recordings up to the point where all the recordings sound sterile and lifeless.

I agree that some of the remasters have less life than the original yinyl, but I often find that to be the case. The efforts to sterilize old music is often a waste of time, in my view. Some of the life is always removed in an effort to improve recordings that were done seat-of-the-pants, the old way.

The biggest problem I have with the sound of the Hendrix Family efforts is that they actually re-mixed many of the songs, without Jimi's presence. Yes, Kramer got studio mixing credits, but Jimi was always there. However, I am glad to see that the family can finally, after twenty eight years of court battles, get some monetary relief, which they alone are due.

Except for the most modern new releases of previously unreleased material, which has been mostly concerts and practice sessions, I always prefer the original Hendrix vinyl sound. That also goes for absolutely everything that I have had the chance to compare vinyl to digi. Even my digitized vinyl rips sound better than the over compressed, "cleaned-up" CD releases.

What I enjoy most about Rainbow Bridge is that it gives an inkling into the jazz directions that his musical interests were taking. If you have heard Morning Symphony Ideas, there is even more of the jazz influences starting to show. The multi-tracking nightmares that they were exploring were to be made all that much easier at Electric Lady Studios were the first sessions shook the recording industry. It was a peak into the future of recording. Unfortunately, Jimi barely got to use his dream studio. It was an all tube studio in those days.

I forgot to mention ... Check out The Rainbow Bridge Concert: The Early Show. It's hip, dude.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 01:55:27 PM by MarkingDawg »

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #1828 on: October 10, 2007, 06:44:57 PM »
Hawkwind - D Rider ( Hall Of The Mountain Grill remaster)
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #1829 on: October 10, 2007, 08:34:36 PM »

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 12:26:28 AM by calandale »