Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106551 times)

duncvis

Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #1650 on: September 21, 2007, 04:13:13 PM »
Amarok is the dog's bollocks.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1651 on: September 21, 2007, 04:16:33 PM »
that sucks. paul fucking mccartney, of all people, gave me tinnitus.

I friend of mine used to have a Vox/Hofner combo. That thing would fucking kill you!

I doubt if he can still hear much.

well, the hofner didn't kill me. his fucking techs did--the sound was awful to the point where i considered leaving. but in the end, i couldn't resist the beatles stuff and so i was punished.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1652 on: September 21, 2007, 05:52:01 PM »

I friend of mine used to have a Vox/Hofner combo. That thing would fucking kill you!

well, the hofner didn't kill me. his fucking techs did--the sound was awful to the point where i considered leaving. but in the end, i couldn't resist the beatles stuff and so i was punished.

Please, tell me you didn't go to a modern day concert without hearing protection.

It only takes one.
 :'(
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #1653 on: September 21, 2007, 06:22:18 PM »

Please, tell me you didn't go to a modern day concert without hearing protection.

It only takes one.

Dawg, what model of Vox amp? Do you remember?

Also, When I ran sound, I would do soundcheck w/o plugs, and then use a set that removed 12DB off the top end during the show. I always wanted to find a set of earplugs that reduce volume and maintain flat frequency response.

Another thing about loud shows, in 1992, I managed to score free tickets to see Kiss. I saw the size of the PA system that they were using then, ( I think it was either a Showco PRISM, or a Clair Bros. system in Grey Ozite) and figured that I would be best off pretty much front and center, thinking that their system was fairly directional, and I'd be out of harms way. --Boy, was I wrong, my ears rang for two days after.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

duncvis

« Reply #1654 on: September 21, 2007, 07:25:14 PM »
Lake of Tears - Moons And Mushrooms

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1655 on: September 21, 2007, 07:41:23 PM »
Lake of Tears - Moons And Mushrooms

Is that new?
I haven't heard much about them in about seven or eight years. I always thought they had some interesting poetry/lyrical stuff going on, too. Their songs are actually "about something," usually.
 :laugh:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #1656 on: September 21, 2007, 07:44:15 PM »
Yeah, its a new one. The Neonai was the only other Lake of Tears album I had, but thats changing shortly. Good band.  8)

duncvis

« Reply #1657 on: September 21, 2007, 07:56:01 PM »
Opeth - Still Life

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1658 on: September 21, 2007, 08:27:39 PM »

It only takes one.

Dawg, what model of Vox amp? Do you remember?

Also, When I ran sound, I would do soundcheck w/o plugs, and then use a set that removed 12DB off the top end during the show. I always wanted to find a set of earplugs that reduce volume and maintain flat frequency response.

Another thing about loud shows, in 1992, I managed to score free tickets to see Kiss. I saw the size of the PA system that they were using then, ( I think it was either a Showco PRISM, or a Clair Bros. system in Grey Ozite) and figured that I would be best off pretty much front and center, thinking that their system was fairly directional, and I'd be out of harms way. --Boy, was I wrong, my ears rang for two days after.

I don't remember the model, but I remember it was a hybrid, with tube pre and transistor power. It was only two fifteen inch drivers in the cabinet, but he had also replaced the speakers with JBL D130s and later K130s (actually I did it for him, because he was too dangerous with tools). I can't remember which tubes it used but they weren't very big at all. It always got hot as hell!

It sounded really a lot cleaner and more punchy with the JBLs, which he liked, but with the Celestions in there, it had a fuzz bass sound that was better than anything else I had heard, unless you plugged your bass into a Marshall stack. Did that in the studio sometimes. Take a direct line off the instrument and compress it heavily to get the body, then mix it with a lightly, almost uncompressed Marshall sound breaking up on accents. 8)

BTW, I never found a set of earplugs that would maintain flat sound. I tried everything on the market, too. I mixed without them, during sound checks, but I wore them all night. I had a 1/6 octave UREI analyser from the seventies plus my rack mounted scope that would allow me to scientifically set average volumes and an occasional open ear peak at the sound to clear up nuances kept me going. I got used to mixing with plugs, eventually and kept them in all night, except for a short listen every so often. I also had some big closed cell AKG Studio headphones that cut about twelve dB out of the overall SPL, but they weighed like five pounds or something.

Some of those old Showco systems used the Altec Mantaray horns for mids and highs. A very cool design, that had an acoustical center midway between the mouth and the throat of the horns. Most horns have an acoustical center that is just forward of the throat entrance. It's also called the "apparent apex" of directivity. Having it farther forward allowed them to stack the horns closely and get near perfect 180o coverage, with a very fast roll-off beyond that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:37:41 PM by MarkingDawg »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1659 on: September 22, 2007, 04:33:19 AM »

It only takes one.

i did. :(

if the sound had been better, i wouldn't have to suffer now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1660 on: September 22, 2007, 09:19:44 AM »

It only takes one.

i did. :(

if the sound had been better, i wouldn't have to suffer now.

Maybe, but it is the actual Sound Pressure Level exposure, over a continual period of hours that causes the damage. I have done really high quality sound that, because of the influence of a producer/promoter type, who did not care about the public good, only that their band left an impression (and the music was not enough to do that) was just too damn loud and has injured people. I really regret this, even more so, because I knew what I was doing and I even protected myself.

I have seen people stand within three feet of my old stacks of twenty four dual eighteen inch horn-loaded bass speakers, per side, capable of over 140db at thirty meters, in open air, from below 40Hz to over 400Hz. I know what they were doing to their hearing, their internal organs and their overall health and general body functions.

Most modern sound systems have the capability of causing hearing damage, at least, at all frequencies, so it doesn't matter how it is balanced. It is the prolonged exposure to the pressures that causes the lasting effect of tinnitus. It's just too fucking loud and I'm not just an old fuddy-duddy, either. I am talking about well documented scientific data, collected over many years, by a number of different sources.

I'm sorry!

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1661 on: September 22, 2007, 02:37:23 PM »
Wagner. Der Ring des Nibelungen Highlights.

duncvis

« Reply #1662 on: September 22, 2007, 08:26:47 PM »
Tiamat - Wildhoney, with Lake Of Tears - Headstones queued on the playlist. :headbang2:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1663 on: September 23, 2007, 03:25:26 AM »

Collapse, miscellaneous Mostly stuff I found on MySpace. Yes, I go there, but I'm looking for esoteric music not companionship, understanding, pussy or browneye.

Not sure why the death metal has intrigued me so much these last few days.

duncvis

« Reply #1664 on: September 23, 2007, 04:09:13 AM »
Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists

I've been in a metal mood for the last week or so as well. :headbang: