Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 107055 times)

duncvis

Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #1320 on: August 10, 2007, 11:36:46 AM »
Das Ich - Anti Christ :dance: :bat: :headbang2:

duncvis

« Reply #1321 on: August 10, 2007, 12:42:08 PM »
My mate 'DJ Finn''s new reggae mix. yeah mon :stoned: O0

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1322 on: August 10, 2007, 12:51:07 PM »
Metallica - To Live is to Die
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1323 on: August 10, 2007, 02:40:16 PM »
"Kingdom of Heaven" soundtrack.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #1324 on: August 10, 2007, 02:50:17 PM »
Party Time: The Best Of Lee Scratch Perry :stoned:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1325 on: August 10, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »
Dark Tranquility - Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive)

LEGOS playing the song lol
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #1326 on: August 10, 2007, 07:19:18 PM »
I've been listening to Zeppelin the entire last week (which is a lot, since a lot of my job is driving), because my friend rented their complete studio recordings box set and left it in my car. I can't believe it took me this long to get into Zeppelin. They fucking rock! Houses of the Holy is my favorite.

I'm listening to a band called The North Sea right now.

He "rented" the box set? COOL! Who or where rents music?

According to RIAA, ASCAP and a few others all music is rented and even when we buy a disc we must continue to pay for it as long as we listen to it.

The library. Interesting factoid. It's been probably around a year since I've last PAID for music, between the library and soulseek, that's old hat. Actually now that I think about it every couple of months I've bought some vinyl.

I see.
You had said he "rented" the set and I thought you had to pay a fee to borrow it. We are very lucky to have such an amazing library in our small town. I go every week, but it doesn't cost anything. Ours has over sixty thousand titles on disk, about a third of which are DVDs and that includes a few duplicates. I have found that many of their duplicate CDs are modern re-releases and often I have a chance to compare the original release with the re-mastered disk. Of course I rip the ones I like - Fuck the RIAA/ASCAP nazis.

I immediately backup my rips, of course. The only problem with my current system is that, since I have my two largest HDs in my box it is possible that a virus could fuck up my latest rips, which are not yet backed up "off the machine". I'm almost out of disk space, though. I need to get a couple more huge drives for the future.

Hey, vinyl rules! I visit Goodwill often and sometimes find treasures for a quarter. I have also found a lot of late-issued 78 rpm collections from the fifties with historical significance, too cheap to pass up. Last year I restored an old Garrard turntable and set it up to play 78s, including a special cartridge for the oldies. I buy every German, Swiss, Belgian and Austrian classical collection I find. There is an incredible amount of music in those old grooves!

Do you rip your vinyl to your computer? If so, how?

Right now:

Diggin' the Yogurt Top mix and wanting to hear the rest of it.

:venere:

Our libraries are similarly stocked (I think). Apparantly everywhere they're becoming more media driven, which is almost sort of depressing, if you compare the amount of people there for DVDs and CDs with the readers. I apologized on my last visit for not getting any books.  :prude:

I don't rip my vinyl, yet, but I might at some point. I guess I would just try to hook my amplifier into the input jack and do it that way.
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1327 on: August 10, 2007, 08:55:32 PM »
I've been listening to Zeppelin the entire last week (which is a lot, since a lot of my job is driving), because my friend rented their complete studio recordings box set and left it in my car. I can't believe it took me this long to get into Zeppelin. They fucking rock! Houses of the Holy is my favorite.

I'm listening to a band called The North Sea right now.

He "rented" the box set? COOL! Who or where rents music?

According to RIAA, ASCAP and a few others all music is rented and even when we buy a disc we must continue to pay for it as long as we listen to it.

The library. Interesting factoid. It's been probably around a year since I've last PAID for music, between the library and soulseek, that's old hat. Actually now that I think about it every couple of months I've bought some vinyl.

I see.
You had said he "rented" the set and I thought you had to pay a fee to borrow it. We are very lucky to have such an amazing library in our small town. I go every week, but it doesn't cost anything. Ours has over sixty thousand titles on disk, about a third of which are DVDs and that includes a few duplicates. I have found that many of their duplicate CDs are modern re-releases and often I have a chance to compare the original release with the re-mastered disk. Of course I rip the ones I like - Fuck the RIAA/ASCAP nazis.

I immediately backup my rips, of course. The only problem with my current system is that, since I have my two largest HDs in my box it is possible that a virus could fuck up my latest rips, which are not yet backed up "off the machine". I'm almost out of disk space, though. I need to get a couple more huge drives for the future.

Hey, vinyl rules! I visit Goodwill often and sometimes find treasures for a quarter. I have also found a lot of late-issued 78 rpm collections from the fifties with historical significance, too cheap to pass up. Last year I restored an old Garrard turntable and set it up to play 78s, including a special cartridge for the oldies. I buy every German, Swiss, Belgian and Austrian classical collection I find. There is an incredible amount of music in those old grooves!

Do you rip your vinyl to your computer? If so, how?

Right now:

Diggin' the Yogurt Top mix and wanting to hear the rest of it.

:venere:

Our libraries are similarly stocked (I think). Apparantly everywhere they're becoming more media driven, which is almost sort of depressing, if you compare the amount of people there for DVDs and CDs with the readers. I apologized on my last visit for not getting any books.  :prude:

I don't rip my vinyl, yet, but I might at some point. I guess I would just try to hook my amplifier into the input jack and do it that way.

I always carrry a huge linen bag and take out the maximmum number of disks and several books, depending on what I am interested in at the time. I read fast - three or four books per week quite often, unless it's software manual or something that requires some cross reference. It is the only way I can get to sleeep half the time.

You have the right idea with the vinyl. I come right out of my cartridge pre-amp (it must be a specific phono pre, with equalization) directly into my soundcard. It's a one-to-one transfer, just like when I rip my old tapes. It is real-time slow and tedious, but the rips I get from vinyl will blow away any CD rip; barr none.

Right now:

Leo Kottke, live tape circa '87.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #1328 on: August 11, 2007, 03:26:37 AM »
Nitzer Ebb - Ebbhead :dance:

duncvis

« Reply #1329 on: August 11, 2007, 04:23:34 AM »
Rotersand - Truth Is Fanatic :dance: :dance: :dance:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1330 on: August 11, 2007, 05:13:05 AM »

Piping my box out to my deck system for some tunes and coffee with the birds this morning. A mixed playlist of mellowness from Bela Fleck, Victor Krauss, Tony Rice, David Grisman, Jerry Garcia, and Mark O'Connor. It's jazzy, acoustic, well recorded music I'm after right now. Coffee is almost ready. ;D
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #1331 on: August 11, 2007, 11:02:34 AM »
an assortment of killing joke tracks. :rock:

duncvis

« Reply #1332 on: August 11, 2007, 01:03:02 PM »
Siouxsie and the Banshees - JuJu :bat:

duncvis

« Reply #1333 on: August 12, 2007, 05:57:50 AM »
Dextro - Consequence Music

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1334 on: August 12, 2007, 06:52:29 AM »

Jazz morning.

Miles Davis, Dark Magus.