Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106655 times)

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #1230 on: August 02, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »
Currently, Flesh Eaters - A Minute To Pray, A Second To Die ( Satan's Stomp)
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1231 on: August 02, 2007, 09:02:55 PM »

The people who banned you from this forum should have their gear confiscated, and be forced to listen to all of their music through unmodded Altec VOtT's , or Yamaha S-3's (IE, the PA cabs used in Wayne's World)  powered by first generation Peavey CS-800's......Forever! >:D

Thanks, ASpHole. I've not seen Wayne's World, but I know the Yamaha's.
I used to work in a store that sold Voice of the Theaters, before first generation CS-800s came out.

:puke:

I think these dicks deserve even less ...

:LMAO:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1232 on: August 03, 2007, 07:38:27 AM »
Towering Inferno - Modern Times
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1233 on: August 03, 2007, 08:44:08 AM »
idiot mods.  ::) I'd throw out my Polks in support, but they sound pretty good and I can't afford to replace em. :P

Listening to a bit of Red House Painters, chill out before sleepytime.  8)

Just noticed this post ...

Definitely don't throw out your Polks!
The main reason I joined their board in the first place is that I was mostly pleased with their speakers, had some suggestions and questions and was curious about the music other owners were enjoying with them. We already have that going, right here, now that you told me you have your own Polks to poke. Let 'em rip!
I have nothing against the manufacturer or the scientists, who are the real force behind their great sounding systems.

(I just did an :asthing:, didn't I?)

I'm into some Richard Thompson this morning. So far:

Shoot Out the Lights
You? Me? Us?
Doom And Gloom From The Tomb, volume 1

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 08:49:52 AM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #1234 on: August 03, 2007, 11:08:13 AM »
lol, they're smallish but they throw out a good clear sound with decent bass response even at low volumes, and they're shielded. I got em monitor mounted with a system I bought seven years ago which has long since bitten the dust but I kept the Polks.  8)

Plaid - Double Figure

duncvis

« Reply #1235 on: August 03, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
Mixed harsh electro playlist - Project Pitchfork, Destroid, Funker Vogt, Spetsnaz, etc :dance:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1236 on: August 03, 2007, 12:10:06 PM »
Listening to Towering Inferno a lot...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1237 on: August 03, 2007, 12:17:55 PM »
lol, they're smallish but they throw out a good clear sound with decent bass response even at low volumes, and they're shielded. I got em monitor mounted with a system I bought seven years ago which has long since bitten the dust but I kept the Polks.  8)

Plaid - Double Figure

Ah, I may not be familiar, then. Mine were small floorstanders,"Monitor 70". Funny thing is that I replaced them for smaller Klipsch to save space and gain efficiency, but ended up building a super efficient JBL based system twice bigger than the Polks and driving the JBLs with two, three watt tube amps. No typo there - 3 watts per channel on my new ones will make most people leave!
 :evillaugh:

Moving into Zappa, Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar

duncvis

« Reply #1238 on: August 03, 2007, 12:41:09 PM »
Now thats efficient. 3 watts a channel is usually pretty weak.  8)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1239 on: August 03, 2007, 01:05:48 PM »
That's really impressive. I wonder about the resulting dynamics, though.  :-\

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1240 on: August 03, 2007, 01:42:58 PM »
Considering that I normally listen at around 85db or so, which most people think is loud, I usually have over 20dB of dynamic range in reserve. An inspection of a typical modern CD analysis indicates about 6db of dynamics on average. Much of my jazz sports peaks of about 8 or 10db, but still with average power available for distortion-free peaks over 105dB, I am in good shape.

Remember these are SET tube/valve amps and they are capable of driving a dead short at rated power, so impedance variances across the spectrum are not much of a challenge at all. The speaker drivers themselves are highly efficient and my openback enclosure configuration makes them almost resonance-free.
 8)

BTW, when I want to shake the floor with some Pink Floyd and dance around like a spaz-case or rock out to live recordings, I put a CD in my DVD player and crank up my movie rig, which would be more like normal solid state power amps everyone else is used to at one hundred watts per channel, plus a thousand watt subwoofer system on the LFE channel.
::)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 01:53:48 PM by MarkingDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1241 on: August 03, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »
The speaker drives MUST be efficient for that little power. :P

I remain impressed. I'd LOVE to hear the sound.  :headbang:

Edit: I always calibrate cinema sound processors to 85dB. People always say I play loud. 8)

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1242 on: August 03, 2007, 01:59:24 PM »
The speaker drives MUST be efficient for that little power. :P

I remain impressed. I'd LOVE to hear the sound. :headbang:

Edit: I always calibrate cinema sound processors to 85dB. People always say I play loud. 8)

It's my thing,  man. It's what I love. It's what I do.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1243 on: August 03, 2007, 02:00:36 PM »
I'd have just the project for you. I need a good set of screen speakers for my garage.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1244 on: August 03, 2007, 02:01:44 PM »
Listening to Towering Inferno a lot...

:heart: